4 replies to this topic

#1 svs

svs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

I'm not going to say where I bought this chocolate or the kind, but if on the outer box list of ingredients differ from the smaller ones inside it (warehouse packaging)is that an issue? I got glutened because the outer box listed:

Sugar, unsweetened chocolate, glucose, cocoa butter, butter oil, soya lecithin, natural and artificial flavour, citric acid, ivertase.

But, look at the inner box difference:

Sugar, unsweetened chocolate, glucose(MADE FROM CORN AND/OR WHEAT), cocoa butter, butter oil (made from milk), soya lecithin, natural and artificial flavour, citric acid, ivertase.

Do you think I should contact the company or is this normal to not list the full ingredients on outside of warehouse packaging?
SVS
Stomach issues for over 15 years; doctors initially thought it was IBS. After years of meds for that not working, I gave up!
Have had 2 negative blood tests for Celiac due to already eating gluten-free. Doctor won't do biopsy due to Aunt having Celiac; he says he's 90% sure I have Celiac too.
Trying hard to make this my lifestyle! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:05 PM

If we are talking about a case which contains packages intended for individual retail sale, then there is no requirement to list ingredients on the outer case at all.

The Canadian Celiac Association lists glucose as "allowed," being "a common sugar used as sweetener." The manufacturing process yields pure sugar, which is gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 svs

svs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

If we are talking about a case which contains packages intended for individual retail sale, then there is no requirement to list ingredients on the outer case at all.

The Canadian Celiac Association lists glucose as "allowed," being "a common sugar used as sweetener." The manufacturing process yields pure sugar, which is gluten-free.

That's good to know that they aren't REQUIRED to put it on, HOWEVER why do they put SELECTIVE ones on? I ended up contacting the company and am waiting to see what they say...it could have been CC on the factory line too!
SVS
Stomach issues for over 15 years; doctors initially thought it was IBS. After years of meds for that not working, I gave up!
Have had 2 negative blood tests for Celiac due to already eating gluten-free. Doctor won't do biopsy due to Aunt having Celiac; he says he's 90% sure I have Celiac too.

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

Actually, it is not selective. Both ingredient lists list the exact same nine ingredients, in the same order.

The difference is that the second one also has allergen information embedded. Allergen information is required on the retail package, and placing it in parentheses after the affected ingredient(s) is one permissible way to do it.

An alternative would be to use the first ingredients list, and also have the statement:
"Contains: wheat, milk and soy."

The order of the ingredients list is significant, as it is in descending order by weight. The contains statement may list the allergens in any order, but must list all of them. In this example, soy is in the contains statement, but the allergen is clearly disclosed in the ingredient name, "soya lecithin." Butter needs to be disclosed as "milk" since milk is the common name of the allergen.

I realize that this sounds picky, and it is, but we are dealing with complex legal regulations. Ingredient lists are legally regulated documents. Some words have meanings that differ from common usage. When we talk about "starch" in conversation, it can be many things, but the single word "starch" in an ingredient list must be pure corn starch.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 svs

svs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:11 PM

Actually, it is not selective. Both ingredient lists list the exact same nine ingredients, in the same order.

The difference is that the second one also has allergen information embedded. Allergen information is required on the retail package, and placing it in parentheses after the affected ingredient(s) is one permissible way to do it.

An alternative would be to use the first ingredients list, and also have the statement:
"Contains: wheat, milk and soy."

The order of the ingredients list is significant, as it is in descending order by weight. The contains statement may list the allergens in any order, but must list all of them. In this example, soy is in the contains statement, but the allergen is clearly disclosed in the ingredient name, "soya lecithin." Butter needs to be disclosed as "milk" since milk is the common name of the allergen.

I realize that this sounds picky, and it is, but we are dealing with complex legal regulations. Ingredient lists are legally regulated documents. Some words have meanings that differ from common usage. When we talk about "starch" in conversation, it can be many things, but the single word "starch" in an ingredient list must be pure corn starch.

Thanks! I appreciate you explaining it to me! I don't understand all those regulations! :blink:
SVS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: