Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?

324 posts in this topic

Chicken, zucchini, mushroom, orange peppers, scallions and anchovies for flavor.

Ads by Google:

Incredibly delicious Welsh Rarebit. For those of you who are unfamiliar, it is basically thick toast covered with a mixture of cream, eggs and cheese that is melted on top until ooey gooey. Then it is drizzled with Worcestershire. First I will spread the bread with bacon jam to kick up the flavour even more. Traditionally it contains Guiness.

Incredibly delicious Welsh Rarebit. For those of you who are unfamiliar, it is basically thick toast covered with a mixture of cream, eggs and cheese that is melted on top until ooey gooey. Then it is drizzled with Worcestershire. First I will spread the bread with bacon jam to kick up the flavour even more. Traditionally it contains Guiness.

Aaaaand I hate you.

Aaaaand I hate you.

You know you love me. ^_^

Dirty rice (white rice and sausage), a cup of chicken broth, homemade pickles. It's not much, but it's totally safe for me to eat. Later I'll have a coconut Zing bar. :)

I have a hankering for a Monte Cristo today.

Creamy chicken soup and a bagel with cream cheese.

Where do you find the soup & bagels that are gluten free? I am new to this & am diagnosed as allergic to all of it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I almost panicked. I got to my fridge and was all set to make a sandwich and there was NO MAYO! I quickly chilled out, remembering I have a recipe stashed, whipped some up in a few minutes and was stuffing my face with a Lebanon bologna sandwich in no time. Yup, homemade mayo for a bologna sandwich.

Where do you find the soup & bagels that are gluten free? I am new to this & am diagnosed as allergic to all of it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I don't buy soup, I make it. You'll find recipes all over the internet. Just decide what kind of soup makes you happy and you can almost certainly find a recipe for it. (Unless it is barley soup, then you're just outta luck.) As for bagels, I imagine lots of people just make them. I've seen them in the freezer at the health food store but my guess is that they suck and I'm not going to pay something like $7 for 5 bagels that suck.

Like Adalaide, I make the soup. I am lucky to have a gluten free bakery that makes a great bagel substitute - I probably prefer it to gluten bagels. :)

For those of us who occasionally like to open a can of soup instead of making it:

Note that this is in the US, These products in Canada may have different ingredients

http://progresso.com/Products/Gluten-Free

http://www.pacificfoods.com/our-foods/special-diets

http://www.kettlecuisine.com/Our-Soup/Frozen-Soups.aspx

http://www.kettlecuisine.com/Our-Soup/Refrigerated-Soups.aspx

I have heard that some like Udis bagels , which many Whole Foods and other groceries carry, either frozen or on the shelf.

lunch was ham and swiss on a grainless flax seed bun with mustard , cottage cheese on the side

Lunch will be a large mixed baby greens salad with toasted almonds, Parmesan shards, dried cherries, toasted pumpkin seeds and a lovely Dijon lemon vinaigrette.

today lunch was turkey and swiss on a grainless flax seed bun ( I am enjoying these buns :D )

I'm trying to expand my horizons for lunch. Especially since I am charged with feeding an ever increasingly picky toddler. <_< (Although I have discovered he will always eat his veggies if I give them to him while I make the rest of lunch. Hunger always overrides being picky!)

Today I made my first buckwheat pancakes. My grammy used to make them for me every Saturday morning, but hers always were a whole wheat, buckwheat mix. Still, these brought back memories and were super delicious. I was thrilled that Mr. Pickypants liked them too. I scrambled some eggs for the boys and had just a little bit of one myself. Then I chopped up a jicama. I never had one before, but I rather like them. My husband isn't a fan (shocker) but the kiddo seems to like it okay. They look so boring in the store, and just as boring cut up, the taste and texture was a really pleasant surprise.

Spice-rubbed fried chicken thighs (using cumin, coriander and paprika) on rice, topped with avocado and a squirt of lemon juice. Still feeling a bit hungry so I might have to snack on some cashew nuts until dinner time. :P

I made homemade mac n cheese with a colby/cheddar mix and Glutino penne.

Plain Greek yogurt with sliced fruit, a drizzle of honey and unsalted sunflower seeds. I use yogurt all the time as a substitute for sour cream. Dear other can't tell the difference. (A dallop on soup or baked potato, on top of nachos, in pancakes. And the d dog loves any leftovers.

Mixed greens and jicama salad with toasted almonds, pumpkin seeds and Sherry vinaigrette. Oh, and orange supremes on top.

Mango, strawberry and banana smoothie with a touch of almond extract.

Orange supremes? What's that? :D

Orange supremes? What's that? :D

Simply the way you peel and slice the oranges without any skin - they sorta look like mandarin segments only bigger. ;)

Vanilla French Toast with my homemade bread and my homemade vanilla extract (with bourbon). Could have been worse! :lol: As bread is a rare treat for me, I seriously enjoyed it.

Hormel Naturals roast beef and ham. Lays Stax. Cucumber and tomato salad and an Enjoy Life chocolate bar.

Potato, mushroom and red onion frittata.

Grilled lactose free Swiss cheese and ham bun.  Lots of raw cuke.