6 replies to this topic

#1 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,710 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 07:20 AM

Hi, I have a 22 yr old son who has been gluten-free for over 2 years. It remains to be determined how thrilled he is with me when he finds out I did this. I am NOT posting to find him romance, (he can take care of that fine himself) but it would be nice if there is a celiac or 2 at wyotechs campus or vicinity for ya'all to maybe get together. He is a 'motorhead', also into art, computer games and photograpy. He is an avid pool player and was a member of the APA when he lived in NJ. He is respectfull and polite and while he can be very quiet when he firsts meets people he relaxes quickly. He does not smoke or do drugs and is a very light drinker, and yes, I know I'm Mom but we talk extensively. Anyway any of us out there in his age range?
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 07:31 AM

I'm 18 but I live about 3 hours away in MD. Always looking for other celiacs my age to hang out with as friends. I have relatives up in PA so I am up there sometimes too. :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 judy05

judy05

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 12:36 PM

I'm 18 but I live about 3 hours away in MD. Always looking for other celiacs my age to hang out with. I have relatives up in PA so I am up there sometimes too.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not young or single but I live in the area. Just wanted to let you know that a doctor in Indiana, Pa. has diagnosed at least 200 people in the past year or so and they have Celiac Support meetings at the Indiana Hospital, which isn't very far from Blairsville. They also have a new terrific Health Food Store which carries a lot of gluten-free foods, just thought he might like to know.

The one resolution, which was in my mind long before it took the form of a resolution, is the key-note of my life. It is this,always to regard as mere impertinences of fate the handicaps which were placed on my life almost at the beginning. I resolved that they should not crush or dwarf my soul, but rather be made to blossom, like Aaron's rod, with flowers-Helen Keller

Judy- Gluten Intolerant

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,710 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 06:23 AM

I'm not young or single but I live in the area. Just wanted to let you know that a doctor in Indiana, Pa. has diagnosed at least 200 people in the past year or so and they have Celiac Support meetings at the Indiana Hospital, which isn't very far from Blairsville. They also have a new terrific Health Food Store which carries a lot of gluten-free foods, just thought he might like to know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your reply. Do you know the name of the store and the street it's on? Also do y'all have Wegmans in PA? I wish every company would label their gluten-free foods. It would make life so much easier. Best wishes.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#5 judy05

judy05

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for your reply. Do you know the name of the store and the street it's on? Also do y'all have Wegmans in PA?  I wish every company would label their gluten-free foods. It would make life so much easier. Best wishes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll call tomorrow to find out, it's posted at my GI doc's office.

The one resolution, which was in my mind long before it took the form of a resolution, is the key-note of my life. It is this,always to regard as mere impertinences of fate the handicaps which were placed on my life almost at the beginning. I resolved that they should not crush or dwarf my soul, but rather be made to blossom, like Aaron's rod, with flowers-Helen Keller

Judy- Gluten Intolerant

#6 Guest_The Weasel_*

Guest_The Weasel_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2005 - 09:28 PM

I live about forty minutes from Indiana, PA which is close to Blairsville. I go to the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg campus and am 21 years old. I'm also interested in knowing about the doctor and food store in Indiana as there's not much around here. We have an East End Food Co-Op on the outskirts of Pittsburgh, you can take Route 22 all the way from Indiana to there. There's also a store called Nature's Way in Greensburg near my campus. Also, Giant Eagle the local grocery chain has started to incorporate gluten-free/wheat-free foods into their special foods/vegetarian/organic section so if he has one of those near he could check into that.

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,710 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:34 AM

I live about forty minutes from Indiana, PA which is close to Blairsville.  I go to the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg campus and am 21 years old.  I'm also interested in knowing about the doctor and food store in Indiana as there's not much around here.  We have an East End Food Co-Op on the outskirts of Pittsburgh, you can take Route 22 all the way from Indiana to there.  There's also a store called Nature's Way in Greensburg near my campus.  Also, Giant Eagle the local grocery chain has started to incorporate gluten-free/wheat-free foods into their special foods/vegetarian/organic section so if he has one of those near he could check into that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your reply, I will be sure to let him know about golden eagle. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: