This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Traveling And Need Help

Wakingup

Wakingup Apprentice

I am so frustrated. I am traveling away from home. Generally bring food but yesterday was exhausted and unprepared, also starved so ordered Wendy's baked potato with cheese and brocolli. Also decaf coffee.

After that, my friend offered me a stick of (I think) Carefree chewing gum.

I immediately almost collapsed from exhaustion after the meal and have been up all night with SEVERE gas and flatulence. Just miserable.

I read online that Wendy's potatoes with cheese is safe. Anyone else have this experience with this type of food from there? Not sure about the chewing gum, which I never chew and didn't think about it....haven't been glutened in a long time and so I was not as vigilant as I needed to be. I'm just miserable today...no way to spend a vacation. So frustrated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Metoo Enthusiast

I am so frustrated. I am traveling away from home. Generally bring food but yesterday was exhausted and unprepared, also starved so ordered Wendy's baked potato with cheese and brocolli. Also decaf coffee.

I immediately almost collapsed from exhaustion after the meal and have been up all night with SEVERE gas and flatulence. Just miserable.

I read online that Wendy's potatoes with cheese is safe. Anyone else have this experience with this type of food from there? Not sure about the chewing gum, which I never chew and didn't think about it....haven't been glutened in a long time and so I was not as vigilant as I needed to be. I'm just miserable today...no way to spend a vacation. So frustrated.

I have had their bacon and cheese (I think thats what it was?) potato. I read that it was safe also and had no problems with it.

I have NOT had any gum yet, I was afraid of gum just because I know its so processed, and I can't have splenda anyways.

Could you be having problems with dairy? Or the broccoli could explain the gas, not the exhaustion though.

I am traveling for 12 days come Friday...I am terrified. Especially because I will be at the mercy of my husband's 90 year old Grandma, I doubt she is going to understand I can't eat her toast...etc. =( We plan to tell her I have an allergy but I just can't invisioning her understanding.

Wakingup Apprentice

I have had their bacon and cheese (I think thats what it was?) potato. I read that it was safe also and had no problems with it.

I have NOT had any gum yet, I was afraid of gum just because I know its so processed, and I can't have splenda anyways.

Could you be having problems with dairy? Or the broccoli could explain the gas, not the exhaustion though.

I am traveling for 12 days come Friday...I am terrified. Especially because I will be at the mercy of my husband's 90 year old Grandma, I doubt she is going to understand I can't eat her toast...etc. =( We plan to tell her I have an allergy but I just can't invisioning her understanding.

Interesting that you had no problem with the cheese.....I do have some issues with dairy but cheese has been ok for me in the past.

Maybe it was the gum. I wish you well on your trip.

Luckily I am staying in my own efficiency and can cook most of my meals. Otherwise I know I'd be ill a lot. Eating anywhere but home is a huge challenge for me.:(

kareng Grand Master

Is the brocolii in a cheese sauce? I know the plain cheese they sprinkle on I'd gluten-free. If its a sauce, might not be? Did you check the Wendy's site?

Wakingup Apprentice

Is the brocolii in a cheese sauce? I know the plain cheese they sprinkle on I'd gluten-free. If its a sauce, might not be? Did you check the Wendy's site?

Yes, the website says the potato with cheese and broc. does not contain gluten but with an asterisk nest it. The asterisk indicates that some Wendy's stores may have gluten in it. Very confusing.

I did ask the server at the Wendy's if there was gluten in the cheese and she said that she did not know. That is the last cheese potato I'll ever get at Wendy's. I'm still sick and probably will be for awhile. No way to spend a vacation. Really is my own fault.

Probably will start carrying apples and hard boiled eggs with me when I go shopping or am away from home base for extended periods while on this trip. Some friends suggest those gluten free protein bars.....those are not at all satisfying to me. They don't quell my hunger and are loaded with fat and sugar:(

kareng Grand Master

The asterisk says it varies and may not be available at every store.

The first time I went to Wendy's the manager said to always say " Wheat Allergy". Not everyone speaks English but they know what that means. Don't let them open the potato. Keep it wrapped up. They also said they weren't confident that they hadn't gotten crumbs in the shredded cheese. I got a wrapped potato, a bowl of chili and packets of sour cream. Then I put the chili on the potato myself.

Wakingup Apprentice

The asterisk says it varies and may not be available at every store.

The first time I went to Wendy's the manager said to always say " Wheat Allergy". Not everyone speaks English but they know what that means. Don't let them open the potato. Keep it wrapped up. They also said they weren't confident that they hadn't gotten crumbs in the shredded cheese. I got a wrapped potato, a bowl of chili and packets of sour cream. Then I put the chili on the potato myself.

The chili is gluten free? I would have ordered that with the potato but was REALLY concerned that it could have flour.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

The chili is gluten free? I would have ordered that with the potato but was REALLY concerned that it could have flour.

It's on the list, amongst the potato options.

Wakingup Apprentice

It's on the list, amongst the potato options.

Yes, I hear you and saw it there. I'm just feeling a little skeptical of anything they say

on the website at this point.....I checked out the gum....definitely no gluten in it so it

HAD to be the cheese. The website says it contains no gluten as well.

Celtic Queen Explorer

I order the plain baked potato from Wendy's all the time and have never had a problem, so it may be the cheese sauce. That's frustrating. I didn't realize the chili was okay to eat.

My son and I went to Wendy's Sunday for lunch and they ran out of baked potatoes. It's so frustrating to go to a restaurant where you can only order a couple of things and them to run out of one of them. Ugh.

Hope you feel better soon.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

We have trouble whenever we eat out. Lots of foods can start out gluten-free, but don't always stay that way due to cross contamination.

I usually pack a few of those meals from GoPicnic for travel and emergencies. They are not perfect, but pretty satisfying and not super junky.

Cara

chai Newbie

Yes, the website says the potato with cheese and broc. does not contain gluten but with an asterisk nest it. The asterisk indicates that some Wendy's stores may have gluten in it. Very confusing.

I did ask the server at the Wendy's if there was gluten in the cheese and she said that she did not know. That is the last cheese potato I'll ever get at Wendy's. I'm still sick and probably will be for awhile. No way to spend a vacation. Really is my own fault.

Probably will start carrying apples and hard boiled eggs with me when I go shopping or am away from home base for extended periods while on this trip. Some friends suggest those gluten free protein bars.....those are not at all satisfying to me. They don't quell my hunger and are loaded with fat and sugar:(

I work away from home a lot and always have to eat protein bars to keep up my energy. I recommend Oskri bars and Lara Bars. Oskri are gluten-free and vegan in case you do have problems with dairy after all. From what I remember they dont use sugar at all, but things like honey and rice or date syrup. Lara bars arent as tasty but because I can usually find them more often I eat them a lot. Just be careful cause some arent vegan. If you cant find the Oskri bars at a health food store try ordering them online, thats what I do and trust me when I say they are soooo worth it. =) good luck

Wakingup Apprentice

I work away from home a lot and always have to eat protein bars to keep up my energy. I recommend Oskri bars and Lara Bars. Oskri are gluten-free and vegan in case you do have problems with dairy after all. From what I remember they dont use sugar at all, but things like honey and rice or date syrup. Lara bars arent as tasty but because I can usually find them more often I eat them a lot. Just be careful cause some arent vegan. If you cant find the Oskri bars at a health food store try ordering them online, thats what I do and trust me when I say they are soooo worth it. =) good luck

I have had the Lara bars but not the Oskri.....will try to find them.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, really appreciate it.

Celiac Maniac Newbie

Hey Waking Up:

Email me via my profile with your email address.

I'm just finishing writing an ebook with info on what to eat gluten-free at 60 chain restaurants and other local ones. I can email you a free e-copy so you know what to eat while you're traveling.

I travel a lot for business, and I noticed that I had a bunch of lists of stuff I could eat at various chain restaurants, so I compiled and added to it to make an ebook. It's not published yet, but I can run it thru the Meatgrinder to send you whatever file format you can use. If you have a kindle or a nook, I can send you that. If you have a smartphone, you can download an app for kindle or BN.com. If you have a laptop, I have a PDF.

Yes, the baked potatoes at Wendy's should be gluten-free. I've eaten a lot of potatoes there. The chili is gluten-free, too. Some good salads, too.

TK

cap6 Enthusiast

I used to eat the potatoes at Wnedy's but then I started to watch...... Hands touch buns that touch fries that touch tin foil covered potato that put it in the plastic container..... Just seemed like gluten hands on the potato tin foil was cause for CC. ;)

Wakingup Apprentice

I used to eat the potatoes at Wnedy's but then I started to watch...... Hands touch buns that touch fries that touch tin foil covered potato that put it in the plastic container..... Just seemed like gluten hands on the potato tin foil was cause for CC. ;)

Hi Cap,

Yes.....it seems that NO MATTER WHAT I eat when I'm out, I end up with stomach pain, gas, bloatedness, flatulence, misery.

And eating out is the way I socialize mostly with friends, especially friends and family I haven't seen for awhile.

Archived