13 replies to this topic

#1 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

Has anyone experienced the phenomena of no longer liking the foods you used to love the most? I used to be raving chocoholic, but now, as time goes on, I like it less and less. I have successfully converted favorite recipes to gluten free, but for some reason, I don't like chocolate much anymore (is that the sound of the world ending, lol?). I still like other sweets, like apple crisp, muffins, pies, etc. But all I really want to eat is the good hearty food....meat, chicken, homemade soups, veggies.....that's good.....it's what my body needs apparently. But it's still weird that chocolate no longer appeals to me. That's my strange story.....what's yours? B)
Gluten Free since 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 silk

silk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

Has anyone experienced the phenomena of no longer liking the foods you used to love the most? I used to be raving chocoholic, but now, as time goes on, I like it less and less. I have successfully converted favorite recipes to gluten free, but for some reason, I don't like chocolate much anymore (is that the sound of the world ending, lol?). I still like other sweets, like apple crisp, muffins, pies, etc. But all I really want to eat is the good hearty food....meat, chicken, homemade soups, veggies.....that's good.....it's what my body needs apparently. But it's still weird that chocolate no longer appeals to me. That's my strange story.....what's yours? B)

Odd, but yes and chocolate would be one thing that really does not appeal anymore. Leaves a kind of nasty aftertaste. Is way too sweet and just doesn't do it for me anymore. Now give me a big plate of gluten-free spaghetti and meatballs and a tasty salad with some Chebe bread and I'm there!

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

Odd, but yes and chocolate would be one thing that really does not appeal anymore. Leaves a kind of nasty aftertaste. Is way too sweet and just doesn't do it for me anymore. Now give me a big plate of gluten-free spaghetti and meatballs and a tasty salad with some Chebe bread and I'm there!

Dark chocolate with almonds is something I still can't resist. Or just dark or bittersweet chocolate.

I don't crave chocolate, but I enjoy a dark chocolate after a meal. It substitutes for desert.

My cravings usually involve root vegetables or something in the cabbage family. If it's just sheer hunger, I crave protein.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#4 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

Oh good.....I don't feel so crazy now. :) And yes, it seems just too sweet. My husband made gluten-free biscotti yesterday and I don't want them at all. But he totally understands all the odd tings that go along with the gluten thing.
Gluten Free since 2010

#5 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

Pizza was a weekend treat on Saturdays & usually all Saturdays.. Went gluten-free & craved it but ten years ago I couldn't find a pizza that actually tasted like a regular pizza.. So I ate the cardboard gluten-free one at times... Now I don't or rarely eat any pizza!!!!!Plus I was a cookie, pie cake eater now I don't do that often either....clean eatiing has become a way of life...

#6 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

I found that I was pickier about the chocolate. Hershey's tastes like it has a lot of cheap wax in it. I switched to dark chocolate, milk chocolate is too sweet.
Michigan

#7 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:55 AM

Mine sort of totally changed. I used to love to bake, but haven't been able to recreate a chocolate chip cookie that tastes good to me and many other baked things ... so I don't bake much anymore. If I'm looking for a snack/treat, I'm usually looking for salty and crispy rather than sweet and chewy.

I make hundreds of "buckeyes"... peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate... at this time of year and if I eat 2... that's a lot. I give 'em all away.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#8 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

When I was a little kid, I loved chocolate. When puberty hit, I HATED chocolate. Yes, too sweet and a nasty aftertaste. When menopause hit, I started craving chocolate, and I ate WAY too much. Now I'm back to not liking it. I can still enjoy chocolate ice cream, but candy bars just don't appeal at all.

What is happenning now is a bit strange. I am hungry ALL the time, and nothing satisfies me. I can eat my meat/rice/cauliflower mixture until my stomach is so full it hurts. Yet my mind is telling me I'm still hungry. I know it's because I'm not getting the nutrients I need with this very limited diet. I'm going to have to get some gluten free/ corn free/ salicylate free supplements made. <_<

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#9 MenHen

MenHen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

Most definitely! For me, I now eat a lot more protein. I also eat meats I never liked before like ham and bacon. I don't have the crazy cravings like I used to have. I still want pizza from time to time, but not nearly as often. I have never been much of a dessert fan, but I probably have had a lot more deserts lately just from trying things out so that I have know what is good when I want it.

#10 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

My opinion: If you are listening to your body and giving it what it wants/needs, then your tastes will change over time (and from season to season) because your body's needs change over time (and season to season).
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#11 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

I can't remember the last time I used a salt shaker... I cut back on sugar and many of my foods that I usually ate are now very sweet without sugar..
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#12 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

Yes, let me count the ways.... The list is too long and depressing.

I have found a love of tamales and corn chips. Apparently insatiable.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#13 silk

silk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

I found that I was pickier about the chocolate. Hershey's tastes like it has a lot of cheap wax in it. I switched to dark chocolate, milk chocolate is too sweet.

Can I get an 'Amen'? Totally agree. The darker, the better, but only occasionally and only in very small doses.

#14 silk

silk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Yes, let me count the ways.... The list is too long and depressing.

I have found a love of tamales and corn chips. Apparently insatiable.

It's interesting because my tastes go in cycles too. One week I could eat tuna with celery, carrots and vinegar for breakfast lunch and dinner, and the next week it will be something totally different and I don't even want to look at the tuna. Right now, I'm just getting over a stomach bug (not gluten) and nothing sounds good. That's a problem when you are a type one diabetic and have to keep your blood sugar stable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: