Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Just Diagnosed..how Long Of Eating gluten-free Until I Feel Better?

10 posts in this topic

With my celiac and crohns, I went undiagnosed for 2 years and I was going to dr after dr. I finally went to Johns Hopkins and was diagnosed 2 days ago. I am starting my gluten-free lifestyle change tomorrow. I was always so sick to my stomach like i had a stomach flu or like something was rotting in my stomach. How long after eating gluten-free will I actually start to feel better? Does it happen instantly or dos it take days, weeks, months? Thanks!

Ads by Google:

My son was dx recently at age 2 -- they told expect at least 90 days and to also eliminate dairy because the body does not have the proper digestive enzymes to handle the dairy --- that said, since we started going gluten-free and Dairy free last tuesday, his DH is nearly disappeared, his eczema has cleared and he has gone from 5-7 BM a day down to 3 and is mostly sleeping through the night. He still wakes and is sometimes fussy and when I feel his tummy I can feel lots of "talking" rumbling, grumbling - so I know he's not completely healed, but MAN! what a difference!

It's different for everyone. My stomach felt better in a couple weeks but my gluten-caused bipolar illness took another year and a lot of nutritional supplements to resolve.

You should notice a difference in a few weeks. Keep the diet real clean and you will recover faster. Since your symptoms have been on-going for quite some time there will probably be a length of time for repair to your system.

When I was diagnosed the doctor told me a minimum of 3 months gluten-free to start to see some sort of improvement...and that it could be 6-12 months for real improvement. I am 3.5 months in and things are definitely better (less pain, less brain fog, insomnia improving, less aching joints) but I'm far from 100%. Also, it hasn't been a steady improvement -- at the beginning I'd have a good day and then go back to feeling awful, I felt like I was all over the place and wondering if I was glutening myself without realizing it. Keeping a food diary really helped in terms of pinpointing things that were just too tough on my system (some of which I've just started reintroducing to my diet.) Also probiotics have been a HUGE help. Good luck. And be patient. Which coming from me is funny because I am notorious for not being patient!

Hello I'm new on here and dont really know my way around yet so I'm hoping I get a reply! (:

I just found out 3 months ago that I have a high allergy to wheat. I know Celiac Disease and wheat allergies are different but does anybody know how long it takes to feel better from a wheat allergy??

I have been gluten free/wheat free for about 3 months with barely any improvement =/ feelin a little discouraged so replies would be awesome!

Thanks for listening and I hope this works!

I am 3.5 months in and things are definitely better (less pain, less brain fog, insomnia improving, less aching joints) but I'm far from 100%. Also, it hasn't been a steady improvement -- at the beginning I'd have a good day and then go back to feeling awful, I felt like I was all over the place and wondering if I was glutening myself without realizing it.

It's been 8 weeks for me as of yesterday and the only differences I have noticed so far are that my swelling/bloating has gone down a lot, I feel a bit more alert and not as exhausted and I'm not getting the migraines anymore. My eczema is flaring up again though as is my depression. I'm hoping it's just whatever's toxicity that is still in me working its way out. Trying to remain patient, it's only been two months for me!

I was symptomatic for 10 years, at least, before diagnosis.

I started feeling better within a few days. Much better in 2 weeks.

Gluten is like smacking yourself in the head with a ball peen hammer: it feels so good when you stop.

TK Kenyon

Thank you everyone for the input! Today was my first day eating gluten-free and i didnt feel sick today. Hopefully a sign of good things to come.

Thank you everyone for the input! Today was my first day eating gluten-free and i didnt feel sick today. Hopefully a sign of good things to come.

I hope you heal faster than I have. Its taken me more than a year to settle down and I am dealing with the residual affects such as loss of bone density, reflux and a sluggish gall bladder... I am at least tolerant of dairy again after 18 mos gluten free.