72 replies to this topic

#16 catsmeow

catsmeow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:48 PM

That is truly a miracle. Just incredible. I am so happy with you! You have suffered so much and it is amazing that you now have your answer.

(((thank you))))
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

That is awesome!!! Are you still taking Zantac? If so, have you had any adverse reactions to it's prolonged use? So far, I've had no adverse reactions, just positive good response to it.

No I quit taking it after about 2.5 months and didn't seem to have any adverse effects. My GI wasn't happy since he wanted me on it for 6 months. I take zyrtec as needed now, but I think I've built up a tolerence to it.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#18 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

Trish Trish,

I took Zantac 150 for a year and a half without any issues. The one thing to watch out for when taking it for a prolonged period of time is that it can decrease calcium absorbtion. I don't have a site to link to for that information though because it is from my Diet and Nutrition textbook, but perhaps you could find that info if you googled it.

I am very happy that you found something that works for you though, it is wonderful news :)

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

I would love to find the article in thyroid.com that irishHeart quoted. My husband is hypothyroid, I would love to read it to see if anything pertains to him. I've been searching for it and cannot find it.

Here you are, kiddo. It's actually thyroid-info.com:

http://www.thyroid-i...lutenceliac.htm

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#20 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

Thank you! Your explanation sounds much like the doctors. I swear I need a doctorates degree to understand this stuff!! :P

Whoops, sorry. That's as simple as I could make it. :unsure: I was hoping having it written down so you could read it a couple times might help.

#21 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

[quote name='IrishHeart' timestamp='1323465449' post='755305']
Here you are, kiddo. It's actually thyroid-info.com:

http://www.thyroid-i...lutenceliac.htm
[/quote

((((((hugs))))) thank you!!!!!

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#22 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

Whoops, sorry. That's as simple as I could make it. :unsure: I was hoping having it written down so you could read it a couple times might help.

LOL.....I understood...mostly...you done good. As soon as I get my Glutenologist degree, I'll be good to go though.... :P

Wheat Allergy-April 2010

#23 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

Trish Trish,

I took Zantac 150 for a year and a half without any issues. The one thing to watch out for when taking it for a prolonged period of time is that it can decrease calcium absorbtion. I don't have a site to link to for that information though because it is from my Diet and Nutrition textbook, but perhaps you could find that info if you googled it.

I am very happy that you found something that works for you though, it is wonderful news :)

That is good to know. I knew there was a warning for osteoporosis for PPI's (proton pump inhibitors), but I didn't know that Zantac has the same issue. It makes sense though. I'll need to up my calcium. My labs are good right now though. I had tests done is November....I'll be watching my calcium labs.

Wheat Allergy-April 2010

#24 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

That's fabulous news.

And such a simple solution... Geez.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

((((((hugs))))) thank you!!!!!

You're welcome! ;)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#26 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

That's fabulous news.

And such a simple solution... Geez.

You hit the nail on the head. "simple solution" I would have never guessed that it could be so easy to fix. Yet, here I am, able to breath wheat without a violent histamine reaction.... :blink:

Wheat Allergy-April 2010

#27 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

You hit the nail on the head. "simple solution" I would have never guessed that it could be so easy to fix. Yet, here I am, able to breath wheat without a violent histamine reaction.... :blink:

Wonder why the allergist did not know this?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#28 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

My reactions are all allergic in nature, however, I see from reading that I do share some celiac reactions, which are also listed for allergic reactions. Also, my best friend who is a Natureopathic doctor, initially thought I had Celiac, but now says "no celiac" She has seen my reactions and actually did a barley/rye challenge with me. I had a delayed allergic reaction, not a celiac reaction.

Again, thanks for the info!!!!

um, what is a celiac reaction? Not sure what you mean by this.

What happened when you ate barley and rye?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#29 Angelica

Angelica

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

This doesn't surprise me at all-- I had an severe allergic reaction to a bee sting some years ago-- after the ambulance got me into the ER the first thing they did was shot me up with Benedryl and put a drip bag of Zantac into my IV, along with a steroid. They said that the combo works really well for bee stings. I also took the zantac for 2 weeks after the reaction to keep a rebound reaction from happening... I am really glad it worked for you.

#30 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

um, what is a celiac reaction? Not sure what you mean by this.

What happened when you ate barley and rye?

Gosh, I hope I didn't insult you :unsure: I just meant I have more of a histamine reaction versus the big D and DH mostly. here are the notes from my Barley challenge, I never made it to the rye challenge, I just couldn't get myself to go there. However, the doc who prescribed the Zantac last week thought that my barley reaction/challenge was probably CC from wheat. She said that the grains are usually contaminated with each other. We all know that this is true. That is why we buy gluten-free oats. She herself think it's a straight wheat allergy, but that I will have to be gluten-free because of CC in grains. Who knows? All I know is that gluten-free is what I'll be doing for life, regardles of the exact diagnoses.

Barley challenge:

June 7, 2011
1900 hrs
1/2 cup barley soup, no reaction except for an ant bite became more itchy.

2100 hrs
½ cup barley soup
No reaction

June 8, 2011
1000 hrs
½ cup barley soup
noon- headache, stuffy nose, joint pain.

June 9, 2011
Woke up fine. Diarrhea, 8 rounds

1400 hrs,
sinus headache

1725 hrs.
dizzy, feel sick, sinus headachebrain fog. Stuffy nose, plugged ears, fever of 99.3 that lasted 45 min.

1800 hrs
Rumbling guts. Dry mouth. Stiff ankles

2000 hrs,
All flu symptoms have resolved, fever gone. Doc friend thinks it was a delayed allergic reaction (the fever, and histamine reaction. She no longer believes I am a Celiac.

Jun 10th
0700 hrs
Headache from hell. Stuffy sinuses, I feel like I did a year ago when I was still eating wheat.

1400 hrs- second dose of maxalt taken.

1900 hrs-still feeling horrible

June 11th-
1000hrs- My head is splitting in two. Sinuses completely stuffed up and swollen shut bad gas, feel horrible. I had to take a maxalt.

June 12th..uggghhhhstill sick

June 13th- still sick, but starting to perk up

June 14th- Headache gone, sinuses still slightly stuffed, body is still aching

June 15th-finally feel good, except for a little joint pain

Wheat Allergy-April 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: