Nature Valley Granola Bars..gf?

• Please log in to reply

23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DanceswithWolves_*

Guest_DanceswithWolves_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:45 PM

Hey all,
My mom, the sweet heart she is bought me some Nature Valley Granola bars in a variety pack. As I read the box ingredients, each one is primarily made with Whole grain Oats...this is a bad thing, correct? The peanut on some of the bars are OK, but the soy,rice flour, malt,high fructose, and the whole grain is not, right?

She was just trying to look for something I can grab in the morning and go...I'm probably better off with sticking with my bananas, huh?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:24 PM

Your mom is nice, but you're right... You can't eat those. Most oats in the U.S. are considered UNsafe as bits of gluten are usually in them through cross contamination. Most celiacs will NOT eat them. Plus, the MALT is GLUTEN. :o and WHOLE GRAIN is GLUTEN :o :o

Have you ordered breads from Kinnikinnick? Having bread makes your life EASIER. Sandwiches, toast, bagels, the donuts are awesome!!! The kinnikinnick muffins are too small for a guy trying to put on weight.

Post Cocoa and Fruitty Pebbles are gluten free!!!!!!!!! How about those?
I believe in God.

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:28 PM

A definite no to eat for us
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 Guest_DanceswithWolves_*

Guest_DanceswithWolves_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:34 PM

Your mom is nice, but you're right... You can't eat those.  Most oats in the U.S. are considered UNsafe as bits of gluten are usually in them through cross contamination.  Most celiacs will NOT eat them.  Plus, the MALT is GLUTEN.  :o  and WHOLE GRAIN is GLUTEN :o  :o 

Have you ordered breads from Kinnikinnick?  Having bread makes your life EASIER.  Sandwiches, toast, bagels, the donuts are awesome!!!  The kinnikinnick muffins are too small for a guy trying to put on weight.

Post Cocoa and Fruitty Pebbles are gluten free!!!!!!!!!  How about those?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YES! I did find that Kinniki-bread! A new health store just opened about 15 minutes from my house!!!!! I have the cereal you mentioned too. I've been scouring thru many of the posts on this site and jotting down a "shop list" of just the safe stuff. Everything from Mayo, mustard, soups ranch dressing and lunch meats to look for.
I just posted another topic 5 minutes ago. Not really relating to a gluten-free diet, but more to my "condition" and symptoms I've had in the past.

But anyway.......tonight I had hamburgers that were made for my father and I, but unfortuantely my mother used bread crumbs..another no-no...right?
I do ache a bit...but I guess I'll just go to bed early tonight.
But again, I always tend tothink that maybe it's my allergies. Maybe I'm allergic to mold and pollen, plus the whole celiac disease thing.
I am going to a doctor this week. I'm going to the hospital and explain that I have no medical benefits and need to have a check up. It will be a little scary, but I have to do this.

#5 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 07:05 PM

You ate bread crumbs tonight?? Yeah, you really won't be feeling the benefits of the gluten free diet until you are 100% gluten free. You need to be on guard all the time. No mistakes. It's difficult, but it's essential if you want to heal damage and feel better.
I believe in God.

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 08:17 PM

Hey all,
My mom, the sweet heart she is bought me some Nature Valley Granola bars in a variety pack. As I read the box ingredients, each one is primarily made with Whole grain Oats...this is a bad thing, correct? The peanut on some of the bars are OK, but the soy,rice flour, malt,high fructose,  and the whole grain is not, right?

She was just trying to look for something I can grab in the morning and go...I'm probably better off with sticking with my bananas, huh?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, those are right out. The basic ingredients that will make anything a NO-GO are wheat, barley, rye, and oats. If you see ANY of those in the ingredient list, don't eat it. (For reference, neither soy nor rice are made from wheat, barley, rye, or oats, and are safe grains for celiacs.)

There are a couple of bar-food type products you can have, with different people liking them a different amount. The ones I know about are Glutino breakfast bars (like a nutrigrain bar) and Boomi bars which I've only found at one of our local health food stores, Lara Bars and Organic Food Bars which are dried fruit and nuts which I've found at Trader Joe's and a few other places, and Oskiri bars. There are a couple other more local ones - it will just take some time at the health food stores to look through and do the initial hunt to find what you can have.

But anyway.......tonight I had hamburgers that were made for my father and I, but unfortuantely my mother used bread crumbs..another no-no...right?
I do ache a bit...but I guess I'll just go to bed early tonight.
But again, I always tend tothink that maybe it's my allergies. Maybe I'm allergic to mold and pollen, plus the whole celiac disease thing.
I am going to a doctor this week. I'm going to the hospital and explain that I have no medical benefits and need to have a check up. It will be a little scary, but I have to do this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please encourage your mom to join us and get help finding out what is safe for you and what isn't - particularly if she'll be cooking for you. She's got no need to worry, we've got plenty of members who aren't celiac themselves but who have a loved one who is. She needs to know that bread crumbs are made from bread which is made from wheat which is unsafe. (Ok, ok, I'm sure she knows the first part! ;-) ) Unfortunately, you may only get worse until you cut the gluten out of your life entirely, so you do need to be vigilent!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 grantschoep

grantschoep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:52 PM

Quote...
"There are a couple of bar-food type products you can have, "

hehe, I was reading these posts fast today, and read that and though. Oooo bar food. Yes, I love that, I didn't think I could eat most of it. Then realized you were talking about bar as in " rectangluar prism shaped food". And not bar as in" long counter top surface that you order alcoholic beverages over."

Darn, though nacho's and sometimes wings do end up being something we can eat.
"If I start fighting a war... I guarantee you'll see something new" - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

#8 Guest_DanceswithWolves_*

Guest_DanceswithWolves_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:47 PM

Quote...
"There are a couple of bar-food type products you can have, "

hehe, I was reading these posts fast today, and read that and though. Oooo bar food. Yes, I love that, I didn't think I could eat most of it. Then realized you were talking about bar as in " rectangluar prism shaped food". And not bar as in" long counter top surface that you order alcoholic beverages over."

Darn, though nacho's and sometimes wings do end up being something we can eat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chicken wings in bars are OK to eat? I would think they would be totally off limits due to any cross-contamination or the actual glazed sauce they smother them with.

What about Wraps?
Arby's has awesome wraps...is that off limits?

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:57 PM

What about Wraps?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What does Arby's wrap the fillings in?
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 05:55 PM

Chicken wings in bars are OK to eat? I would think they would be totally off limits due to any cross-contamination or the actual glazed sauce they smother them with.

What about Wraps?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No most chicken wings will not be ok to eat. The actual sauce on it is usually not gluten free.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

#11 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 06:07 PM

http://www.carbwire....ow-carbys-wraps

Low carb WHEAT tortillas.
I believe in God.

#12 grantschoep

grantschoep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

No most chicken wings will not be ok to eat. The actual sauce on it is usually not gluten free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In complete disagreement. The acutual sauce is often gluten free. Franks, Crystal, and a number of other cayenne pepper sauces are gluten-free. The problem here is that they deep fry em. Deep frying in the same as other breaded things.

Now, keep in mind, some places also have something really really nasty, breaded wings. These of course are not gluten-free, but they are completly disgusting and shouldn't be allowed to be grouped in the same class as something as delicious as hot wings.

Most bars and stuff just use Frank's on their wings. Frank's is gluten-free.

http://www.franksredhot.com/

I buy Franks RH by the gallon jug from the grocery store. I make lots of wings...
"If I start fighting a war... I guarantee you'll see something new" - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

#13 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:00 AM

In complete disagreement. The acutual sauce is often gluten free. Franks, Crystal, and a number of other cayenne pepper sauces are gluten-free. The problem here is that they deep fry em. Deep frying in the same as other breaded things.

Now, keep in mind, some places also have something really really nasty, breaded wings. These of course are not gluten-free, but they are completly disgusting and shouldn't be allowed to be grouped in the same class as something as delicious as hot wings.

Most bars and stuff just use Frank's on their wings. Frank's is gluten-free.

http://www.franksredhot.com/

I buy Franks RH by the gallon jug from the grocery store. I make lots of wings...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Either way..they aren't gluten free though. I have checked the sauce at places I have been and they have been questionabe. They could very well use that brand that is safe.
As for bars, I have no clue what they use..I'm only 18 so I haven't been there. It really wouldn't matter if their sauce is gluten free or not though because of deep frying.
Or say most of them use that but they add something different or something in addition to it to enhance the taste..I just would even trust the stuff they put on it either
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#14 grantschoep

grantschoep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 01:43 PM

Understood. Though, some bars grill the wings. That how I cook them at home. I've always felt grilling tastes better than deep frying. The bars I use to hit alot in California bay area grilled the wings, and never added any non gluten-free stuff to them, so they were known to be good. Just need to know how each place makes them. Just like anywhere else. Also, I can't imaging someone at one of these places adding to much that is not gluten-free for sauces, as most all the sauces are gluten-free, and most things you could ever put in a hot sauce mix is gluten-free. I don't know I guess I can't talk for other places.

I have about 20 different hot wing recipes, and not one was ever non gluten-free, those are all ones I had years before I knew about my gluten intolerence. I just looked through my cupboard, I have 19 difference sauces for wings right now. All of them are gluten-free.

#15 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:13 PM

Chevy's says that their hot wings are gluten-free. A note on nachos though, some places fry their chips in oil that is used for other things. Chevy's is another example of that. They state that their nachos would be gluten-free, except they fry them in contaminated oil. :( Bummer, I love nachos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: