23 replies to this topic

#16 Rose519

Rose519

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:30 PM

A lot of different places that prepare the chicken wings do use flour coatings of some type. As for soy being okay, it is my understanding that is not always the case and it absolutely is not in my case - oh, I get so sick. Soy was the first thing that was discovered I could not have, 30 years before everything else. It is my understanding that some of the processes used for making soy is what causes the problem, and somehow it is related to gluten. I had read that and I checked with my GI and he agreed.

I first pulled this post up to read because I noticed that the Nature Valley Bar topic. I had a NV Peanut Bar and one of them didn't make me sick, but if I was eating two of them, because I had skipped breakfast and was combining for two meals (I know... :rolleyes: ), I got very very sick. It was then I realized that there was a big problem with them.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Merika

Merika

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 09:37 PM

Yeah, the way we used to make the hot sauce STICK to the chicken wings was by coating them in flour before dipping them in hotsauce and then frying them. I assumed that's how all wings were made. The flour wasn't really a visible part of the wing once it was cooked either - not like a KFC chicken or anything...

Merika

#18 dunphy118

dunphy118

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:16 AM

Hey all,
My mom, the sweet heart she is bought me some Nature Valley Granola bars in a variety pack. As I read the box ingredients, each one is primarily made with Whole grain Oats...this is a bad thing, correct? The peanut on some of the bars are OK, but the soy,rice flour, malt,high fructose, and the whole grain is not, right?

She was just trying to look for something I can grab in the morning and go...I'm probably better off with sticking with my bananas, huh?

Nature Valley Granola Bars ARE actually gluten free! Whole Grain does not mean gluten! whole grain can range from brown rice to other grains. Nature Valley is a great gluten free snack since they report all possible allergens on the wrapper. They do NOT say "May Contain: Gluten"

#19 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:38 AM

Nature Valley Granola Bars ARE actually gluten free! Whole Grain does not mean gluten! whole grain can range from brown rice to other grains. Nature Valley is a great gluten free snack since they report all possible allergens on the wrapper. They do NOT say "May Contain: Gluten"

This is a really old thread dating back to 2005. I think a lot of Nature Valley Granola Bars contain oats if you can handle them.

The only ones General Mills has marked gluten free are the Almond Crunch and they are really delish! http://www.liveglute...ts/default.aspx
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#20 BellaBoo

BellaBoo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

I am so glad I looked this up. I recently got diagnosed after many years of questioning. I was munching on a bar and had been having symptoms again after being gluten free for about 2 months. I thought I was eating safe foods but the new addition was the nature valley bars. Glad I found this forum and all its great information. I actually thought oats were okay. So what about Oatmeal?

#21 bincongo

bincongo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:11 AM

For grocery shopping I recomend Cecelia's Gluten-Free Grocery shopping guide and take it with you and give it to your mother.
Dx Celiac July 2010 by Endoscopy biopsy- had Endoscopy for another reason, not for possible Celiac
Lactose intolerant discovered August 2010
Hypothyroid Dx 2009. Sleep Apnea 2005

#22 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:28 AM

I am so glad I looked this up. I recently got diagnosed after many years of questioning. I was munching on a bar and had been having symptoms again after being gluten free for about 2 months. I thought I was eating safe foods but the new addition was the nature valley bars. Glad I found this forum and all its great information. I actually thought oats were okay. So what about Oatmeal?

Some of us can tolerate certified gluten free oats but many can't. You could try and find out which group you are in by eating some certified gluten free oats a couple times a day for a week. If after that week you haven't reacted then the gluten-free oats are likely okay for your system. Most oats are cross contaminated by processing so make sure the one you challenge with says it is definately gluten free. Bob's Red Mill puts out a certified oats so you could try that. Just don't go with Quaker.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#23 Cheryl_C

Cheryl_C

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:00 AM

WHOLE GRAIN is GLUTEN :o :o

Can I ask a clarifying question? Yesterday I bought two bags of Riceworks crisps. On the front AND back of the bag it says "wheat and gluten-free." Score. There is also a part on the front that says "Whole Grain." Because this is a rice product, I'm assuming this means whole-grain rice, which would still be gluten-free, right?

#24 Gluten_Is_Icky

Gluten_Is_Icky

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

The reason to be concerned with something stating "Whole Grain" is that it usually contains things like barley, wheat, kamut, things like that. If it specifically states "gluten free" you should be good. However, I'm posting from Canada and I know the term Gluten Free is tested differently here. As far as I know, the acceptable parts per million(ppm) is higher in the US. So if your super sensitive it's a good idea to find out the ppm the company is using.

Also a side note on oats. They are naturally free of gluten HOWEVER, the way they are grown is usually on a field beside wheat and so they can be contaminated right from the growing stage. They are also ground on the same mills as wheat usually, hence more cross contamination. That's why you sometimes get two answers for "are oats safe." Basically if you want to eat oatmeal or granola with rolled oats, it's best to get certified gluten free ones.

Hope that's helpful!
gluten-free one year. Always careful, Always Learning...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: