11 replies to this topic

#1 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

I will pre-assume the scolding, chastising, yelling, and spanking for eating gluten and freely admit you are right. I plead "male" stupidity and stubbornness. But I have a real question.

Do you always feel bad when you eat gluten. Ok. Here is what bad Chad did. I had a cheeseburger with bun yesterday, one for dinner today, and for lunch I had Taco Bell. I might have accidentally eaten a chocolate cookie too. There were some healthy things in between, but you can see that there was a large amount of gluten.

I had a little lower GI issues, sort of, but nothing major. Kinda like what a lot of Taco Bell people might have. No nausea or anything. No heartburn, no symptoms.

Ok, so already fully accepting that I was a dumba.. and that just because you do not feel it damage can be done, how normal is it to have no noticeable ill effects after a significant gluten experience that lasted two days?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Katrala

Katrala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

You may not get visibly ill.

If you have celiac disease the symptoms vary and it doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to be running to the bathroom just from walking into a Panera.

Some people have no outward symptoms (damage is still being done, but the symptoms aren't immediately noticeable.)

Some people have immediate, vicious symptoms that are debilitating.

And some people fall somewhere in between these two.
Positive Celiac (Blood & Biopsy) - April 2011
Peanut Allergy

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

If you keep dancing with the devil, you may discover that--out of the blue--you suddenly won't be able to absorb iron. You'll end up having to get weekly intravenous iron, since you'll be unable to absorb pills or even the liquid form. Or you'll be walking down the street when all of a sudden you fracture a bone in your foot. You stumble...and, by golly, a bone in the OTHER foot fractures. This is because your tendons became floppy from nutritional deficiencies, and they couldn't support your bones. Or you suddenly notice that more hair can found found in your hairbrush...and hair is clogging your shower drain. You then realize that you're beginning to go bald....and it's because of nutritional deficiencies.

I don't want to scare you, but the above scenario is very plausible. All three things happened to me. However, I wised up and stopped torturing my body with the occasional gluteny temptation. I've been extremely careful during the past six years--no more cheating for me! You're still young and able to protect your body from further damage--please don't feel as though you need to tempt fate. Sometimes we're able to heal our intestinal lining...and sometimes the damage is permanent. During my first year of going gluten free, I noticed that I didn't get terribly ill when I ate gluten (perhaps my body was "used" to it), but after that first year, the damage after each "accident" became more frightening. You've been given an opportunity to be healthy for the rest of your life--don't waste it.

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:39 PM

Bad Chad...

No, I doubt I always get sick from gluten or break out in a rash...because I have been sick very few times and only broken out once and I seriously doubt I've really been THAT lucky not to get glutened in the last 5 and a half months.

That said, we went out Friday night and I ate from a gluten-free menu...and they didn't leave out the shrimp and I'm unsure if they left out the gluten...I felt like I was coming down with a flu the next day and am still off today. I'll never know, and that Bad Chad, is sometimes how it rolls.

If my "new" gluten symptom is feeling like I've got the flu then it sucks. But at least I didn't crap down my leg. Yet.

I'll probably get that symptom for Christmas NEXT year.

Oh, and another thing...if you're going to eat gluten can you please go to a good French bakery and eat a sinful chocolate croissant and stay OUT OF TACO BELL???
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

That is interesting. I always find it interesting when you notice something that does not seem to fit and then you find it is common in others, ie waxing and waning celiac, no symptoms sometimes and near death the other.

But yep. back on the wagon. I good boy again starting....now.

#6 Ellie84

Ellie84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:48 PM

In my case I won't touch a crumb because my symptoms are so severe. But two friends of mine hardly have any symptoms when they've made a mistake or "cheated". However, one of them got an endoscopy lately and still had Marsh 2 after 1 year on the diet. Even if you don't feel a thing, your body is getting ruined. If you're a celiac, taking your diet seriously is a matter of good or bad health. There's really no food in the world that's great enough to endanger your health for.
27, F, from the beautiful area of Twente in the Netherlands. English is not my first language, so I apologize for any errors.

Symptoms started in 2007, but no link to celiac disease was found until 2009. I learned of celiac disease through the internet, my doctor never recognized it. She put me on a diet before tests were done, so the initial tests failed. My GI advised me to do a gluten provocation, which had to be stopped too soon to take a reliable biopsy. Based on symptoms such as vitamin deficiencies, GI problems and osteopenia my diagnosis now is: glutenintolerant, suspected celiac disease. This diagnosis was in march 2010, and I've been so much better ever since.

#7 Katrala

Katrala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:37 AM

Oh, and another thing...if you're going to eat gluten can you please go to a good French bakery and eat a sinful chocolate croissant and stay OUT OF TACO BELL???

I second this!

:D

Taco Bell is like cheating on cheating!
Peanut Allergy

#8 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:43 AM

I second this!

:D

Taco Bell is like cheating on cheating!

I third this. Yuck.

I sometimes wonder if my symptoms weren't so severe if I'd be tempted to cheat...but since it's flu symptoms, crippling arthritis, brain fog and a lovely all over blistery rash, I'm never really tempted. But OMG...at the very least I'd do a nice chicago style pizza. Taco Bell. Ewww.

#9 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:49 AM

i did not eat croissants before I was celiac. They are just snobby pieces of bread. I always imagined them talking in a french accent :)

#10 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

Yes, they whisper sweet nothings as they land on your hips...
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#11 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

i did not eat croissants before I was celiac. They are just snobby pieces of bread. I always imagined them talking in a french accent :)

Then we will not bother explaining the virtues of great buttery croissants. That is one thing I miss most. :angry: Sure, you can make croissants, but they definitely do not resemble the real thing.

I did not have any outward symptoms when eating gluten, either. I loved gluten! My motivator to stay on the path is to remember what gluten does to my gut and the long-term implications and potential diseases. I think once you get into the habit it will help. Even though I did not get sick I have never ever cheated even once and I think that strictness right from the beginning did it for me. Cheating is not an option. So, for someone as passionate about food as I am, if I can do it, you certainly can. :) Think of Taco Bell as a poison factory or radiation plant or something. :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#12 Katrala

Katrala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

You also have to remember that "feeling bad" is different for everyone.

Especially the "when" part.

You may not have a reaction from the gluten itself (as in, it hits your stomach and you have an immediate outward reaction.) It may be issues caused by malabsorption, etc. Those issues can be the type to build up over time - the more damage, the more problems associated with that damage.

Also, some people have different thresholds regarding "feeling bad." I know people that will stay home from work with a mild headache and others who would try to go to work with an IV in their arm.
Peanut Allergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: