23 replies to this topic

#16 Merika

Merika

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:41 PM

About the vanilla, it should be gluten-free if it's grain alcohol BUT you may react to alcohol or yeast, so you may be reacting to the vanilla :) Most people it seems who had celiac for a long time before going gluten-free have subsequent food allergies.

Merika

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 nogluten!

nogluten!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 11:15 PM

I've always had allergies and was very "hyper" as a kid, according to my family, but I was super shy to the point of social anxiety at school. I had ADD, always ate whatever I wanted and people thought I must be bulemic because I'm so thin. I experienced a lot of mood swings, depressions etc. I also had very chapped lips as a kid and carried around a Bonne bell lip smacker necklace all of the time. Half of my family has Celiac (French,American Indian,Swedish and Scots-Irish genealogy), but I'm the only one following the diet. Crazy, I know, but my Crohn's was more of a push for me maybe. My grandfather died of lymphoma and was finally diagnosed with Celiac shortly before his death. He had a lot of problems with drinking and the other things you mention throughtout his life, and auto-immune diseases run in my family. I know untreated Celiac can cause a lot of problems. I hope you've been tested, and good luck to you. If you are diagnosed with Celiac or you're not, a good book to read is "Restoring Your Digestive Health" by Jordan S. Rubin and Joseph Brasco. Sorry if this is poorly written or hard to understand but I'm tired! :blink:
Every day is a blessing.

#18 Jen H

Jen H

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:16 AM

And BEWARE the speedbar or soda fountain both are often contaminated. Use a canned gluten-free soda, not all are, or V8 or canned juice. Everyone is different but I would stay away from grain based anything to start.

Okay, this is probably a dumb question, but I'm new to celiac disease. How can a soda fountain be contaminated?

:) Jen

#19 DDShubert

DDShubert

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:25 AM

Please go for potato vodka only. Many places say that grain alcohols and vinagers are okay for us. My families experiences scream differently. My son and I both react to them just as we would to a slice of bread, and the hangovers are awful. We switched to wines, potato vodka and gluten-free beer, Bards Tale is good if you can find it. Don't drink malt liqours, look for hard cider instead. And BEWARE the speedbar or soda fountain both are often contaminated. Use a canned gluten-free soda, not all are, or V8 or canned juice. Everyone is different but I would stay away from grain based anything to start.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#20 DDShubert

DDShubert

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:28 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HI,
I was just diagnosed with celiac disease. As an Irishman I am in mourning that I will no longer be able to have a Jameson and a Guiness. Are there any whiskeys or dark beers that you know of that I can still have?
Cheers,
Duane

#21 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:32 PM

Duane,

There are some special made gluten-free beers that are light at best. Nothing dark. I don't know what's available in Delaware. Maybe contact your local celiac org and find out. They will not be at your average grocery store.

Sorry, I'm not up on my whiskey ingredients. Someone else will have to chime in :)

Merika

#22 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:43 PM

HI,
I was just diagnosed with celiac disease. As an Irishman I am in mourning that I will no longer be able to have a Jameson and a Guiness. Are there any whiskeys or dark beers that you know of that I can still have?
Cheers,
Duane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whiskey is a grain alcohol and supposedly any gluten gets filtered out in the distallation process. I know I haven't had a celiac disease reaction to whiskey, but for some dumb reason whiskey, even a little bit, gives me one hellacious hangover. I'm stuck with vodka and tequila.
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#23 zakismom

zakismom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:54 PM

I thought the better whiskeys were okay. Ihaven't tried any though, I'm happy with a margarita!
diagnosed 1/04 endoscopy; gluten-free ever since!

#24 marfa62

marfa62

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:30 PM

Does this also apply to something like vanilla extract? Is the alcohol in it grain based? All I know is I had a BAD reaction to the extract but also to vanilla flavored yogurt. I'm not sure if I'm just having a hard time with vanilla in general or if there is hidden gluten. I dont seem to react to things like gluten-free cookies which have vanilla listed as an ingredient. I'm so confused about that  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you explain to me how "Columbo" yogurt gets wheat in it? I do not understand , It is not on the label of ingredients. Dairies do not use flour as one of their ingredients. What am I missing in the manuyfactuing process? There is tons of sugar for sure in with the fruit. But gluten or wheat?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: