This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sweating Caused By Celiac

wibbze2

wibbze2 Newbie

OK so I've had years of some VERY distressing symptoms and the doctor has put it all down to depression but I'm not convinced - I get very heavy sweating, usually in the heat and the lining of my mouth is ridiculously dry making eating and talking very unpleasant. Does this sound like celiac to anyone here? There's no history of it in my family but I've just got to find the route cause.

• 3 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AriesEmber Newbie

Hi wibbze,

I also get very heavy sweating when active in the heat. When I say "active", this means something as simple as standing in line at a store or show. I am new to my diagnosis. However, I have leaned a lot about excessive sweating while working towards a diagnosis. This was my most unusual symptom, so my doctors took a very strong look at it. I believe the excessive sweating is due to nerve damage. If this is indeed the cause of the issue, it is permanent. I believe they would consider this as damage to the Autonomic Nervous System. The ANS controls all "automatic" bodily functions, like your heartbeat and digestion. I suppose the inability to properly gauge our bodily response to temperature control is a form of Dysautonomia. Remember, I am not a doctor. I just wanted to say you are NOT alone in this, and provide enough information to send you in the right direction. Cheers :)

ukdan Rookie

Have you had your thyroid checked in any tests? That can stop your body regulating temperature properly (hence the sweating) and is also linked to anxiety and depression.

Not saying this is definitely the cause as I am by no means an expert but was just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...
AriesEmber Newbie

Have you had your thyroid checked in any tests? That can stop your body regulating temperature properly (hence the sweating) and is also linked to anxiety and depression.

Not saying this is definitely the cause as I am by no means an expert but was just a thought.

I'm not sure if your question was directed towards wibbze, me, or both of us. Personally, I have had my thyroid tested more times than would ever make sense. My mother has Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism. (Probably caused by undiagnosed Celiac Disease. She prefers to stay "in the dark" on this subject.) Since I have excessive sweating that has gone without explanation, the doctors ALWAYS retest me. Starting at age 15, until now, twenty years later, I have always had "normal" thyroid levels. They say that the definition of insanity is performing the same task repeatedly, expecting a different result. I suppose the doctors feel that this does not apply to them. (How surprising...)

Back on the subject of your post...Thank you for taking the time to propose the topic. Our collaboration makes us stronger, and assists in the study advancement of our common challenges.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I'm not sure if your question was directed towards wibbze, me, or both of us. Personally, I have had my thyroid tested more times than would ever make sense. My mother has Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism. (Probably caused by undiagnosed Celiac Disease. She prefers to stay "in the dark" on this subject.) Since I have excessive sweating that has gone without explanation, the doctors ALWAYS retest me. Starting at age 15, until now, twenty years later, I have always had "normal" thyroid levels. They say that the definition of insanity is performing the same task repeatedly, expecting a different result. I suppose the doctors feel that this does not apply to them. (How surprising...)

Back on the subject of your post...Thank you for taking the time to propose the topic. Our collaboration makes us stronger, and assists in the study advancement of our common challenges.

Isn't dry mouth linked to Sjogren's?

• 2 weeks later...
AriesEmber Newbie

OK so I've had years of some VERY distressing symptoms and the doctor has put it all down to depression but I'm not convinced - I get very heavy sweating, usually in the heat and the lining of my mouth is ridiculously dry making eating and talking very unpleasant. Does this sound like celiac to anyone here? There's no history of it in my family but I've just got to find the route cause.

Hi Again wibbze2, Please disregard my earlier post. I discovered the cause of my excessive sweating! I took animal protein out of my diet. Within days, the heat intolerance waterworks were shut down!!! I am SO excited. Years of dreading Summer or trips to the store are GONE...Perhaps there is another protein in your diet, which could be causing your similar sweating issues...Everyone is different, so it could be another type of protein, than the one causing my sweating issue. If I find that there is a disorder/disease that causes multiple protein intolerance, I will post again. Perhaps the dry mouth issue was brought on by dehydration, caused by the excessive sweating? Anyway, I wish you all the best. Cheers :)

Archived