This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Here, Need Advice

2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Hi All,

I'm new here. My 5.5 year old son was just confirmed as Celiac a couple of days ago (positive bloodwork and biopsy).

I've been browsing gluten-free cookbooks from the library, but I'm confused. What's the difference between potato flour and potato starch? Or tapioca flour and tapioca starch.

I can SEE the difference between corn flour and starch, but I'm wondering if the others are interchangeable?

I have to try to make hamburger buns for an upcoming barbecue. The only ones I've found in store so far were labelled as "gluten-reduced".

Thanks,

Linda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mstrain Rookie

From what I understand, tapioca flour and tapioca starch are the same thing, however, potato starch and potato flour are very different. Someone please verify! :)

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I wouldn't feed a celiac "gluten reduced" anything. It has to be gluten free. Do you have time to order on line from kinnikinnick or chebe for buns for your bbq?

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

I recommend all of the products from these two companies. They are very good. I order tons at a time and save on shipping as it is $10 for up to $200 worth of foods at Kinnikinnick. Donuts, chocolate chip muffins, bagels, white tapioca rice bread, pizza crusts....all great.

mstrain Rookie
I order tons at a time and save on shipping as it is $10 for up to $200 worth of foods at Kinnikinnick.  Donuts, chocolate chip muffins, bagels, white tapioca rice bread, pizza crusts....all great.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About how long does it take for kinnikinnick to ship? I placed my first order last Tuesday and I cannot wait to try their donuts, buns and pizza crust!

Jnkmnky Collaborator

My last order got here QUICKLY. Previous orders have been up to 10 days. We were totally breadless for way too long one time and that's not doable with three kids. :blink:

lovegrov Collaborator

Potator starch and potato flour are cp,pletely different. One cannot be subsituted for the other. However, potato starch and potato starch flour are the same.

richard

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Potator starch and potato flour are cp,pletely different. One cannot be subsituted for the other. However, potato starch and potato starch flour are the same.

richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I am glad they make everything so easy for us :P .

I will not feed him gluten reduced at all, it must be gluten-free. The Kinnikinnick HQ is a mere 3 hour drive away, but I don't think they can ship in time for Wednesday. I don't think Chebe is available in Canada, but I hear people raving about it all the time, I wish we could get it.

I will try to make the buns and see what sort of disaster I end up with. Maybe we can shape the hamburger like a hot dog...they had Kinnikinnick hot dog buns at the Safeway.

Linda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Japsnoet Explorer
I have to try to make hamburger buns for an upcoming barbecue

The gluten-free gourmet bakes bread by Bette Hagman has on page 176- 177p a recipe for yummy Hamburger buns. :rolleyes:

All the best with the baking. :)

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Hi Linda,

As others have mentioned potato flour and potato starch are not the same. I just fished out a couple of my books to see if I could find a some details for you. :)

"Potato Starch or Potato Starch Flour" is made from raw white potatos. "Potato Flour" is made from cooked potatos.

Potato starch is good for breading because it browns and crips well. (I tried it on chicken the other day.) Potato four is not good for breading but is good for thickening sauces.

Potato starch is OK for cakes if additional leavening is added. Potato flour works well for things like cookies when combined with other flours.

** The two books I got the information from are, "The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook"-Marjorie Hurt Jones, RN and "My Kid's Allergic to Everything, Dessert Cookbook"-Marry Harris and Wilma Nachsin.

I hope this helps as you start trying new recipes and making your own. :)

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Linda,

If you live in Canada, do you have any of the Loblaws Superstores close to you? They usually have a whole gluten free aisle and also all the gluten-free breads, etc. in a special frozen section.......

Good Luck!

Karen

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Canadian Karen,

I'm in Calgary, we don't have Loblaw's superstores here, but we have "the real Canadian Superstore" that has sort of mixed in the baking aisle some gluten-free mixes, but I didn't see anything in the frozen section. Then again, I had two kids with me, it was a Saturday afternoon, and I was getting a teeny bit frustrated at all the other label reading and people huffing because I was stopped in a particular section for a lengthy amount of time reading labels. On the bright side, I did find some gluten-free corn pop type and gluten-free corn flake type cereals.

I did find potato starch and the experiment with the buns will take place Tuesday.

If it turns into a disaster, I did find a "Celimix" for hamburger buns at Co-op, but it was $4.99 and only makes 4 buns :blink: !

So, who thinks what is more economical: baking from scratch, mix or mail order?

(Canadian) Linda

Guest Lucy

My son hated the kinniknick (whatever the spelling) buns. He loves their sandwich bread. He just eats the burger without buns now. He doesn't even mind.

I read someone else hear uses empty tuna cans to bake her buns in. Gives them a nice round appearance and shape. Just a little hint. I'm no bun baker, never have, but maybe someday I'll find the energy.

grantschoep Contributor
My son hated the kinniknick (whatever the spelling)  buns.  He loves their sandwich bread.  He just eats the burger without buns now.  He doesn't even mind.

I read someone else hear uses empty tuna cans to bake her buns in.  Gives them a nice round appearance and shape.  Just a little hint.  I'm no bun baker,  never have,  but maybe someday I'll find the energy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be me. But I just copied that from my Dad, who I got the gluten-free bread recipe from. I still am slow on the tuna can collection thing. Only have 3 so far. I just don't care for tuna sandwhiches much any more with out bread. Oh wait, I need the tuna cans to make bread. But I need the bread to eat the tuna... hmm...

Oh yeah, thats what girlfriends are for. She is collecting cans for me.

bluesky8130 Rookie

2Boys4Me

do you have a Sobey's near you? I am in Winnipeg and I have noticed that Sobey's and large Safeway stores have a good selection of gluten-free mixes. They are called "Celi-Mix" and are in the baking section. At Sobey's they also have some gluten-free breads and cookies.

Check out these places that I found for you

Bakeries

Canyon Meadows Bakery (281-3313)

11625 Elbow Dr SW

Co-op Bakery

Beddington Centre (299-4407) Shawnessy Centre (299-4434)

~ gluten-free bread, jelly roll, cookies and muffins

Earth`s Oven (686-4810)

2133b 33 Ave SW

~ gluten-free breads including a wonderful lactose & gluten-free rice bread

Lakeview Bakery (246-6127)

Lakeview Shopping Centre

~ Has a variety of gluten-free breads available; call to check which days they are baked fresh

I don't know how close they are for you...but its a start. You can check out Open Original Shared Link for more links & info.

Hope it helps.

My hubby just got diagnosed so I am going through the learning curve to and it is soooo frustrating.

Kim in Winnipeg

Archived