This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Foot In Mouth Disease! Lol

lucky28

lucky28 Explorer

Ok, I'm not sure if I had an attack of it the other day at work and looking for an opinion (or 2) as to whether I did or not. At work my department is rather small-20 or so, we get alot of meals bought for us that I can't partake in. At a meeting the other day the subject of our own dept holiday lunch came up-dept supplies main course, we bring sides. So it was between fried chicken and a baked ham, WELL I usually don't speak up BUT when no one chimed in an answer, I did. I said (half laughing) well if no one else cares I vote for ham so I can have some too! or something like that. I don't like being the center of attention and I kinda can't believe I said it but I did. so what do i do if it turns out to be glazed or something? how do I save face? I already feel like an outsider a lot of the time (not just because of celiacs but I'm one of the only ppl not born and raised in this small community) I should have just said nothing and brought something I could eat, ugh.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Ok, I'm not sure if I had an attack of it the other day at work and looking for an opinion (or 2) as to whether I did or not. At work my department is rather small-20 or so, we get alot of meals bought for us that I can't partake in. At a meeting the other day the subject of our own dept holiday lunch came up-dept supplies main course, we bring sides. So it was between fried chicken and a baked ham, WELL I usually don't speak up BUT when no one chimed in an answer, I did. I said (half laughing) well if no one else cares I vote for ham so I can have some too! or something like that. I don't like being the center of attention and I kinda can't believe I said it but I did. so what do i do if it turns out to be glazed or something? how do I save face? I already feel like an outsider a lot of the time (not just because of celiacs but I'm one of the only ppl not born and raised in this small community) I should have just said nothing and brought something I could eat, ugh.

Kindly ask the one who ordered the ham for contact information. Be low key and inquire because you have food allergies. Nothing more needs to be said. B)

ciamarie Rookie

My input is only to say 'good for you!' If no one else was saying anything, or even if they were, your opinion is every bit as valid as theirs. I know how you feel, but really it's ok to speak up. :) If you can, find out who is supplying the ham and check how it's being prepared. I know when I've seen the glaze ingredients on some hams they've been wheat-free. It's quite possible it won't be glazed, even.

Hope it turns out good for you!

Marilyn R Community Regular

You didn't say or do anything wrong, I promise. And the ham should be fine, but it would be worthy checking out what ham and where it's going to be cooked and servrd. I got slammed by ham at our holiday party because it was cc I think.

Nobody else voted for fried chicken over ham, right? I'd be concerned if they were picking up the ham at the fried chicken joint, but that could just be me.

All things in perspective, I'd just rather bring my own food and forego the week of misery. :ph34r:

But you didn't say anything wrong, and don't have hoof in mouth disease at all. :D And you don't have to eat that ham unless everything checks out (calling the caterer, looking at how it's preseented. The worst thing for me was feeling like they had a speacial menu for me that I was obligated to eat what was provided becusase they made it specially for me.

You should never feel obligated to eat unsafe foods. Nobody else in their correct frame of mind would. TThat's my two cents.

lucky28 Explorer

Thanks for the replys~yeah~ I know it' ok to speak up but it does make me uncomfortable to do it. It is my boss who is taking care of the ham~I. Will try to approach the subject of the ham with her~maybe I will offer to pick it up so I can check it for myself.

Katrala Contributor

I wouldn't worry about it.

If anyone really cared about getting chicken they would have spoken up, I'm sure (especially since you gave them time to do so.)

I would assume that most ham is safe, but if you can find out who they are getting it from you can have a better idea.

I always assumed things like that were safe, but I learned this Thanksgiving that a common way of cooking turkey is to put it in a bag and throw in some flour (to keep it from sticking.) The bag part and such is awesome - I'm glad I was told that, though, because a little bit of rice flour made for a much more enjoyable Thanksgiving. :)

silk Contributor

How big is your department? How many people? Is it possible that you could offer to cook the ham. They could pay for it, OF Course...but you come out ahead looking like a generous soul and you get to eat the ham without any of the worries listed above.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

You should never feel obligated to eat unsafe foods. Nobody else in their correct frame of mind would. That's my two cents.

That's a real good point. I doubt very much any of the co-workers would eat a dish if they were told it would cause them to get food poisoning, or was likely to cause it.

It's not a problem for them because they don't have celiac, but that doesn't mean they aren't going to be willing to help you. People may be B-heads at times, but they can also be really nice.

Making the ham yourself sounds like a great idea. Boar's Head sells hams marked gluten-free ($$$), and so does Hormel. There are other brands as well, but I don't remember names. If you get one that isn't glazed you are probably ok. The glaze is sometimes packed in a separate sealed package too, so it isn't a problem if you don't use it.

Lisa Mentor

Honey Baked Hams and Smithfield Hams now have a glaze that is gluten free. But, always check the label.

mbrookes Community Regular

Sam's Club has a great spiral cut ham that has a packet of glaze mix. The glaze is safe (I've used it several times.)

I am proud of you for speaking up. If someone had a peanut allergy, no one would expect them to eat a PBJ.

Archived