19 replies to this topic

#1 griffen169

griffen169

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 08:10 PM

hey everyone im new on this site i think this is the first time i have been on one of thease kinds of sites that have people with the same problem as me ive never met or talked to anyone with celiac disease befor everyone i know look at me like im different cause of it and this could be nice to talk to other with the same thing

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:10 AM

Hi!

I am from the GTA area (Durham).

Welcome to the board! How old are you?

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 griffen169

griffen169

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 02:28 PM

hey there i, 21

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:26 AM

Hi, I'm in Markham when I'm at home (right now I'm in Boston).
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 griffen169

griffen169

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:04 PM

so is there any ladys from the toronto area on this site it would be nice to meet someone knew who knows what i go through lol
:P

#6 jennifer savoy

jennifer savoy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:19 PM

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]

so is there any ladys from the toronto area on this site it would be nice to meet someone knew who knows what i go through lol
:P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello;
I am a new member to this site as well. Just thought that I would let you know that I am from Windsor,Ontario,but currently residing in the US. I have Celiac Disease now for 32 years and I can relate to the difficulty of people finding you to be different!!
Hope to hear from you soon!! :P

#7 lorka150

lorka150

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:15 PM

Hey everyone,
Just wondering - other than Il Fornello/Outback/Swiss Chalet.. The basics, what gluten free restaurants have you been to in Ontario?
Gluten-free, Vegan

#8 fisharefriendsnotfood

fisharefriendsnotfood

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:18 PM

I live in Richmond Hill - I'm 14.

-Jackie
14 years old
Diagnosed with celiac disease in 1993
Totally gluten-free since 1993

"All there is in life is wheat...Oh, wheat! Lots of wheat! Fields of wheat! A tremendous amount of wheat! Yellow wheat. Red wheat. Wheat with feathers. Cream of wheat!" - Woody Allen, Love and Death

#9 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:02 PM

Hi, I am in Alliston, about 50 miles north of Toronto (southwest of Barrie). I am 52 years old, and just figured out two and a half weeks ago that I've had full blown celiac disease all summer, and gluten intolerance all my life (was diagnosed with fibromyalgia). Yesterday I found that it is likely lectin intolerance (which includes gluten), which leaves me with very little I can eat :blink: . But avoiding gluten and other things I am intolerant to for these two weeks has made an incredible difference to the way I am feeling, I know I am on the right track, finally!

I feel weird too, having to tell people I can't eat so many things. Because they don't understand that it makes me feel desperately ill if I 'cheat' on my diet. Most people think of cheating on a diet means eating sweets or something like that on a weight loss diet, and they don't have a clue that you absolutely cannot do that with this diet.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:14 PM

Anyone want to meet up for chat and dinner or coffee? Like a support group?
Gluten-free, Vegan

#11 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:16 PM

Anyone want to meet up for chat and dinner or coffee? Like a support group?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be nice. Where do you live?
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#12 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:32 PM

I split my time between Kitchener/Waterloo and Niagara, however I can travel anywhere within reason... the GTA, whatever!
Gluten-free, Vegan

#13 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:23 AM

If it was within the general GTA vicinity, I could try...... It would definitely have to be a Saturday though. That way, Terry could stay home with the kids and I could actually have a relaxing outing!!!! (If anyone watches Desperate Housewives, I AM SOOOOOO LYNETTE!!!!!) :P

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#14 Paul_Bunyon

Paul_Bunyon

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:46 PM

hey everyone im new on this site i think this is the first time i have been on one of thease kinds of sites that have people with the same problem as me ive never met or talked to anyone with celiac disease befor everyone i know look at me like im different cause of it and this could be nice to talk to other with the same thing

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If anyone looks at your differently cause you have Celiac I'd think they were pretty ignorant and rude,and good riddance. Celiac doesnt make you a freak. It's very common these days. Anyway, welcome, cause I'm new too.

#15 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:51 PM

Well, it doesn't really look like a lot of people want to meet up.
Darn, I thought that would get a lot of responses. <_< :(
Gluten-free, Vegan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: