This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Parent; Gf Family

mstrain

mstrain Rookie

Hello All:

I know this board is "Parents of kids with celiac disease," but I need to ask about being a celiac disease parent with a gluten-free family. I've just been loosely diagnosed with celiac disease and I need some tips in dealing with my glutened family. My children are young (1 yo, 3 yo & 5 yo) and while my dd can understand, the younger two do not. I am so use tasting their food to check for doneness and temp, I am constantly throwing Kix and Cheerios on the high chair tray in the middle of meals, etc., etc. My one year old also loves to shove his fingers in my mouth (not sure why). Do all of you parents wash your hands every single time you touch your toddlers' food? I've seen suggestions to wear gloves when cleaning the house (ugh) - any other ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Merika Contributor

Hi Michelle,

First, I gotta ask what you mean by "loosely" diagnosed. ???

I am the celiac in the family (so is my mom who lives nearby). My 3 yr old eats gluten-free. He may be celiac, he may not, we weren't able to test him when I was diagnosed, so we just feed him gluten-free. In the future, we will test him. BUT this has made my life much much simpler. I don't have to worry about the cheerios, the kix, and what's on those sticky little fingers :)

For simplicity, you may want to feed your kids gluten-free at home, and let them eat whatever when they are out with other people, at least until they're past the age of sticky fingers and needing help from mom to eat.

I'm sure some other people will disagree, or say it's too hard, but for us it is simpler and worth it. Our house is not gluten-free. My dh (who eats gluten) is not allowed to eat gluten on the couch or anywhere that is not regularly cleaned with a wet sponge - kitchen or dining room table. I would do the same rules for kids. You don't want traces of gluten stuck to every surface in your house - this is your safe zone!

Kids adapt easily. Let them eat cheerios outside on the patio, and wash their hands well after - or make up what works for your environment.

Just some thoughts,

Merika :)

Jnkmnky Collaborator

As far as cereals, try the envirokidz gluten free brands. They are very similar to all of the grocery store standards.

Open Original Shared Link

Lots of regular stores are carrying them now, so you won't have to pay the health food store prices. I pay $2.50 a box for mine! At WholeFoods it's selling for $3.50 most of the time!

You could go "gluten lite" at your home for your kids. A few of the messier foods could be substituted with gluten free versions.

mstrain Rookie
Hi Michelle,

First, I gotta ask what you mean by "loosely" diagnosed. ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, my biopsy indicated Marsh 1 lesion (I don't really know what this means) and my bloodwork showed a postivie IgA but a negative IgG and a weak positive tTG. The doctor who did this testing said these results were inconclusive and wants to re-test me in 6 weeks. I wasn't thrilled with his advice so I went to another doctor (one who was recommened on this site) and he said the same thing and was even worse because he didn't really explain anything to me. So I've been very disappointed with my doctors and I'm trying to figure out what to do next.

I've been experimenting with gluten-free foods on my kids and there are some things they like, but more that they do not like. I've found pancake mix, brownie mix and chocolate chip cookies they like, but I doubt there is a replacement for their much desired raisin bran and oatmeal. They haven't cared for any bread, store-bought or homemade which makes lunches tough. They do like my pasta! :) So, I guess we could go "gluten light". My husband as been a dream and insists on eating whatever I eat, so I think he'll just eat gluten when he's alone with the kids and out of the house. I like your idea of eating only in the kitchen - think I'll start that tomorrow! :P

mstrain Rookie
You could go "gluten lite" at your home for your kids.  A few of the messier foods could be substituted with gluten free versions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the idea of gluten lite - I don't think I want to make them entirely gluten-free, but if I find alternatives that they like, I'll stick with them. thanks for the suggestion!

Archived