#1 thleensd

thleensd

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

Ok... Here goes nothin'

Still trying to recover after almost 3 yrs carefully gluten free. I've tried a whole bunch of things with limited success... But am definitely better than I was. Long story short, I'm getting ready to do the GAPS diet. It's not that far from how I'm eating, but I need to add in the "fun" stuff like cod liver oil. Yay!

If you take cod liver oil, what brand? Capsules or straight up? Fermented or not? Should I worry about the vitamin E Carlson brand adds? Have any of you had good or bad experiences with cod liver oil?

I'm ready to hear what you know. Bring it on!
Diagnosed 2/12/09 by biopsy after years of anemia, neuropathy, dizziness, brain fog, pain and more.
Negative blood tests (following gluten light diet)

Still healing with time, harmony, and good food.
Grain-free 1/11/11

Blogging Gluten-Free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:58 AM

Ok... Here goes nothin'

Still trying to recover after almost 3 yrs carefully gluten free. I've tried a whole bunch of things with limited success... But am definitely better than I was. Long story short, I'm getting ready to do the GAPS diet. It's not that far from how I'm eating, but I need to add in the "fun" stuff like cod liver oil. Yay!

If you take cod liver oil, what brand? Capsules or straight up? Fermented or not? Should I worry about the vitamin E Carlson brand adds? Have any of you had good or bad experiences with cod liver oil?

I'm ready to hear what you know. Bring it on!

I use Nature Made brand cod liver oil tabs which have no artificial colors, flavors or perservatives, no yeast, starhc or gluten. Each tab has 1250 Ius vit A, and 130 IUs vit D. I was having lots of weird vision issues for awhile, like 3 years actually, and when I finally started taking 3 tabs a day it is a matter of days and my vision issues started clearing up. I now take 2 tabs a day and am fine. Hope that helps!
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

Green Pasture, fermented, capsules. (I'm a wuss.)

Read this for the reason to take fermented.
http://www.westonapr...o-manufacturing
http://www.westonapr...oil-manufacture

#4 thleensd

thleensd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

MMM.....traditional barrel fermentation must smell AMAZING! :D

Thanks for the links.
Diagnosed 2/12/09 by biopsy after years of anemia, neuropathy, dizziness, brain fog, pain and more.

Grain-free 1/11/11

Blogging Gluten-Free

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

MMM.....traditional barrel fermentation must smell AMAZING! :D

Thanks for the links.

I don't even want to think about the smell! :blink:

Glad you liked the links.

#6 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

Twinlab Norwegian Cod Liver Oil (mint flavor). The ingredients show ingredients as only cod liver oil, mint flavor. Where I bought this, the Carlson brand cost a lot more and had other stuff added. I just take 1 small spoonful a day (except the last couple of weeks due to cutting back on iodine and anything from the ocean). 1 teaspoon contains 4615 IU Vitamin A and 462 IU of Vitamin D.

I might possibly be able to handle it without flavoring, but why should I? :rolleyes:
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#7 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

We use the Green Pastures Fermented Emulsified Cod Liver Oil. Peppermint(less aftertaste, sludgier texture, mint-patty type flavor) and Cinnamon (more burps later, I prefer the flavor) are the flavors we've tried. Surprisingly, we find that taking it from a spoon is better than from a syringe.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#8 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:42 PM

I wanted to come back and update this thread, to pass on some information. I mentioned above that I was taking Twinlab Norwegian cod liver oil w/ mint flavor. Just because I wanted to be completely sure, I emailed them to make sure there weren't any gluten-y sources for the flavor. I just received a reply email, which says:

If you are referring to the non-emulsified, there are no gluten sources in the product. The mint is natural from the mint leaf and stem. Thank you for checking with us!

Just so y'all know.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#9 thleensd

thleensd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the extra info! I'm going to try some regular (tested for heavy metals!) and if I do ok with it, I'll brave the fermented. FUN! :D

Grain-free 1/11/11

Blogging Gluten-Free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: