This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Severe Symptoms All The Sudden & Not Sure Why

Macbre

Macbre Explorer

I've had some pretty severe symptoms hit me tonight & can't figure what I've eaten....Got glutened last Friday, but thought all was good....today I spent the day shopping & even packed my own lunch. Was having some boughts of feeling like I couldn't catch my breath completely, but I mowed the grass yesterday so I just figured my allergies were acting up. Soaked in the bath tonight and had the heaviness in my chest, but I've had that "anxious" feeling all day. After bath the D & nausea hit along with the uncontrollable tremors. Kept feeling faint so I hung out in my daughters room just in case I passed out, but while talking to her I burst into tears....I don't get why I'm feeling like this. Can "the time of month" play a role in how severe the symptoms are?

This is how I used to feel before going gluten free and haven't had anything this severe for months. I've even be cc several times, but never reacted this bad. Any ideas??

As I'm typing this I feel like I am freezing and can't stop shaking. I HATE THIS FEELING :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Yes, I've had terrible problems based in my cycle.

If you feel like you're going to pass out please call another adult to come over.

rosetapper23 Explorer

It sounds as though you might be low in Vitamin B-12, which is very common in people with celiac. The feeling that you can't pull enough air in is an obvious sign. It's described in medical literature as "gulping air." It can also cause heart palpitations. You might try taking a sublingual Vitamin B-12 supplement to see if your symptoms abate. Also, I'm concerned that you might be somewhat hypoglycemic (shaking, feeling cold, etc.). Once your celiac is under control, you should start feeling better....but your body needs to heal. In the interim, please consider taking the sublingual Vitamin B-12 ASAP.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If you are not feeling better today do call your doctor. Not everything is always gluten related and with pressure in your chest and breathlessness it is a good idea to get things checked out just in case.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Yes, my symptoms are worse when I am having my period. I hope you figure out what is bothering you and feel better soon.

lemontree1 Rookie

I'm going through much the same thing as you. I feel like I have been glutened even when it is highly unlikely. I think I have been reacting to rice, oats and corn. I'm currently eating grain free-- just started yesterday in fact, to see if it reduces the inflammation, heart palpitations, nausea, tight chest, etc. I think it is helping, at least I slept through the night last night.

There are other factors at play here besides gluten-- though I'm convinced gluten set everything in motion. Our bodies are really messed up right now, and some things are difficult to tolerate. Try to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you're deficient in, because they control many of these basic body functions-- B12, Vitamin D, Iron, etc.

It feels like a mess of tangled yarn we have to unweave. It takes time to see what string needs to be pulled, and then we see another string that needs to come out. I wish it were all simple. :(

Macbre Explorer

I'm feeling a little better today...chest tightness gone, just nausea & "wiped out." I've stayed in my PJ's all day so I have rested most of the day.

I do take B12, but I've decided I do need to start taking a good multi-vitamin. I also have things other than the Celiacs that started 3 years ago by a severe viral infection. That is actually what triggered my celiac symptoms. What I was dealing with last night was what I delt with on a weekly basic prior to gluten-free diet. I've had it happen a few times since, but not as severe. I'm praying this was the last time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived