Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Who Makes Best Pizza Crust?

11 posts in this topic

Ok attempting to make a pizza tonight ..one thats not horrible. Im gonna go out and buy mozzerella cheese and pepperoni pizza sauce, and of course...a crust. My local shop has some gluten free crusts and i googled them and it looks like my choices are Kinnickinnick, Glutino, and Amys. Which one do I choose?

Ads by Google:

I like the Kinnikinnick crusts. They are thicker than I would have liked in my gluten days and my son thinks they are a bit sweet but the texture is great and I really like them.

Don't get Amy's. I tried one of their frozen pizzas and it was downright nasty. I can't imagine the crust alone is any better.

Of those I would vote for the Kninnickinnick. Gluten Free Pantry makes a French Bread Mix that makes a great pizza dough if you have that locally. A bit more trouble to prepare than the premade but tastes great. It did take a bit for me to get used to having to spread it with a greased spatula but worth it.

If this is your first commercial gluten-free pizza crust, be prepared to be shocked at how dissimilar they are to what you are used to. The first time I tried a bought one I cried. No one told me how bad they would be. :( I still have the remaining crusts in the freezer.

Maybe pile it high with tons of delicious toppings! If it is an option, grilling the crust really makes a difference as opposed to baking it.

I hope you are successful in finding one you enjoy. :)

Schar makes a really good one, if you can find it.

Amy's is horrible.

Udi's is passable.

Kinnickkinnick is ok.

The best choice IMO is either homemade or if you're in CO, there's a local frozen choice at Vitamin Cottage...I think it's from "Outside the Breadbox" bakery. Definitely not at all stores, sold in a 2 pack. Large and almost tastes like the real think (crust only, you build your own).

Premade - Joan's if you want a thick crust, Udi's if you want thin and cripsy. Chebe if you're making your own.

udi's is thin but definitely not crispy. If anyone knows how to crisp it up please tell me.

Ok attempting to make a pizza tonight ..one thats not horrible. Im gonna go out and buy mozzerella cheese and pepperoni pizza sauce, and of course...a crust. My local shop has some gluten free crusts and i googled them and it looks like my choices are Kinnickinnick, Glutino, and Amys. Which one do I choose?

Homemade is my favorite. We have tried so many store bought crust. The only crust I use that is store bought is from Gluten Free Creations in Phoenix. It is a bakery that is totally gluten free. It is a thin crust. Many resturants in the Phoenix area use it as their gluten free crust. You can order online.

But we have been baking homemade pizza crust for years. My favorites are using the Jules Gluten Free flour and using her recipe on her site. Or, if you like a mix, using the King Arthur Gluten Free pizza mix. I do prebake both of my crust for about 10 minutes before topping them. We make a thick crust pizza with both of these recipes. They are so great. Last week my kids had their friends over for a movie night, and I made homemade pizzas out of the Jules gluten free flour and her recipe, (I love her flour, it is in mho, the best gluten free flour blend) and they all said it was one of the best pizzas they had ever had.

Here are the websites for the flours and recipes.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/glutenfree/

http://blog.julesglutenfree.com/2011/02/pizza/

http://glutenfreecreations.com/ (this is the site for premade thin crust gluten-free pizza) (we use the Italian Seasoned Pizza Crust when I don't have time to make my own)

Good luck!

Homemade is my favorite. We have tried so many store bought crust. The only crust I use that is store bought is from Gluten Free Creations in Phoenix. It is a bakery that is totally gluten free. It is a thin crust. Many resturants in the Phoenix area use it as their gluten free crust. You can order online.

But we have been baking homemade pizza crust for years. My favorites are using the Jules Gluten Free flour and using her recipe on her site. Or, if you like a mix, using the King Arthur Gluten Free pizza mix. I do prebake both of my crust for about 10 minutes before topping them. We make a thick crust pizza with both of these recipes. They are so great. Last week my kids had their friends over for a movie night, and I made homemade pizzas out of the Jules gluten free flour and her recipe, (I love her flour, it is in mho, the best gluten free flour blend) and they all said it was one of the best pizzas they had ever had.

Here are the websites for the flours and recipes.

http://www.kingarthu...com/glutenfree/

http://blog.julesglu.../2011/02/pizza/

http://glutenfreecreations.com/ (this is the site for premade thin crust gluten-free pizza) (we use the Italian Seasoned Pizza Crust when I don't have time to make my own)

Good luck!

My favorite is definitely homemade...and it's also the recipe from Jules' blog. I do use her flour. In fact I sent a few bags to my son-in-law and the last time I talked with my daughter, she says her hubby's pizza is even better than the best gluten-free pizza they used to buy. And they live in Denver, which is a gluten-free haven.