10 replies to this topic

#1 ScarlettsMommy

ScarlettsMommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

Ok attempting to make a pizza tonight ..one thats not horrible. Im gonna go out and buy mozzerella cheese and pepperoni pizza sauce, and of course...a crust. My local shop has some gluten free crusts and i googled them and it looks like my choices are Kinnickinnick, Glutino, and Amys. Which one do I choose?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Poppi

Poppi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

I like the Kinnikinnick crusts. They are thicker than I would have liked in my gluten days and my son thinks they are a bit sweet but the texture is great and I really like them.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#3 Kate79

Kate79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

Don't get Amy's. I tried one of their frozen pizzas and it was downright nasty. I can't imagine the crust alone is any better.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,665 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

Of those I would vote for the Kninnickinnick. Gluten Free Pantry makes a French Bread Mix that makes a great pizza dough if you have that locally. A bit more trouble to prepare than the premade but tastes great. It did take a bit for me to get used to having to spread it with a greased spatula but worth it.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

If this is your first commercial gluten-free pizza crust, be prepared to be shocked at how dissimilar they are to what you are used to. The first time I tried a bought one I cried. No one told me how bad they would be. :( I still have the remaining crusts in the freezer.

Maybe pile it high with tons of delicious toppings! If it is an option, grilling the crust really makes a difference as opposed to baking it.

I hope you are successful in finding one you enjoy. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

Schar makes a really good one, if you can find it.
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

#7 CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:23 PM

Amy's is horrible.

Udi's is passable.

Kinnickkinnick is ok.

The best choice IMO is either homemade or if you're in CO, there's a local frozen choice at Vitamin Cottage...I think it's from "Outside the Breadbox" bakery. Definitely not at all stores, sold in a 2 pack. Large and almost tastes like the real think (crust only, you build your own).

#8 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:51 PM

Premade - Joan's if you want a thick crust, Udi's if you want thin and cripsy. Chebe if you're making your own.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#9 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:07 AM

udi's is thin but definitely not crispy. If anyone knows how to crisp it up please tell me.

#10 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

Ok attempting to make a pizza tonight ..one thats not horrible. Im gonna go out and buy mozzerella cheese and pepperoni pizza sauce, and of course...a crust. My local shop has some gluten free crusts and i googled them and it looks like my choices are Kinnickinnick, Glutino, and Amys. Which one do I choose?

Homemade is my favorite. We have tried so many store bought crust. The only crust I use that is store bought is from Gluten Free Creations in Phoenix. It is a bakery that is totally gluten free. It is a thin crust. Many resturants in the Phoenix area use it as their gluten free crust. You can order online.

But we have been baking homemade pizza crust for years. My favorites are using the Jules Gluten Free flour and using her recipe on her site. Or, if you like a mix, using the King Arthur Gluten Free pizza mix. I do prebake both of my crust for about 10 minutes before topping them. We make a thick crust pizza with both of these recipes. They are so great. Last week my kids had their friends over for a movie night, and I made homemade pizzas out of the Jules gluten free flour and her recipe, (I love her flour, it is in mho, the best gluten free flour blend) and they all said it was one of the best pizzas they had ever had.

Here are the websites for the flours and recipes.

http://www.kingarthu...com/glutenfree/

http://blog.julesglu.../2011/02/pizza/

http://glutenfreecreations.com/ (this is the site for premade thin crust gluten-free pizza) (we use the Italian Seasoned Pizza Crust when I don't have time to make my own)

Good luck!

#11 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

Homemade is my favorite. We have tried so many store bought crust. The only crust I use that is store bought is from Gluten Free Creations in Phoenix. It is a bakery that is totally gluten free. It is a thin crust. Many resturants in the Phoenix area use it as their gluten free crust. You can order online.

But we have been baking homemade pizza crust for years. My favorites are using the Jules Gluten Free flour and using her recipe on her site. Or, if you like a mix, using the King Arthur Gluten Free pizza mix. I do prebake both of my crust for about 10 minutes before topping them. We make a thick crust pizza with both of these recipes. They are so great. Last week my kids had their friends over for a movie night, and I made homemade pizzas out of the Jules gluten free flour and her recipe, (I love her flour, it is in mho, the best gluten free flour blend) and they all said it was one of the best pizzas they had ever had.

Here are the websites for the flours and recipes.

http://www.kingarthu...com/glutenfree/

http://blog.julesglu.../2011/02/pizza/

http://glutenfreecreations.com/ (this is the site for premade thin crust gluten-free pizza) (we use the Italian Seasoned Pizza Crust when I don't have time to make my own)

Good luck!

My favorite is definitely homemade...and it's also the recipe from Jules' blog. I do use her flour. In fact I sent a few bags to my son-in-law and the last time I talked with my daughter, she says her hubby's pizza is even better than the best gluten-free pizza they used to buy. And they live in Denver, which is a gluten-free haven.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: