#1 Goof

Goof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

Hey gang,
My mom was so excited to make a meatloaf for me earlier this week. It is her signature dinner fiod! Until she started to actually make it ... apparantely she used half a bag of glutino bread crumbs, and was still having problems shaping the meatloaf. It tasted just fine, but definitely fell apart fairly easily. Any tips on how to hold a gluten free meatloaf together?

Thanks guys! And everyone have a safe and happy Christmas!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

I always let the bread cubes sit out overnight to dry (not fine crumbs) then soak in milk to absorb it, then add this mixture with an egg or two as a binder. Plain old dried crumbs without milk do not work nearly as well. I grate an onion on a microplane and use the onion juice in the meat. My meatloaf holds together beautifully and slices easily. Oh, and it is also important to freeform it on a cookie sheet rather than put it into a container so it cooks more evenly and the fat drains away. I also slather mine with homemade sauce which adheres well to the meat on all sides (except the bottom, of course). By placing it on a sheet you can do that kind of thing. :)

For seasoning in addition to grated onion I caramelize minced red pepper, carrot and garlic; then use generous amounts of salt, pepper, fresh thyme (thyme and pork love each other) and freshly-grated nutmeg. My favourite ground meat blend is about 2/3 beef (chuck is the best cut) and 1/3 pork. I used to use veal but it is not so easy to find. People tell me mine is the best meatloaf they have ever tried and I would have to agree. It is amazing. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

rice
Alice in Gluten-Free Wonderland

#4 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

In a meatloaf recipe I have that calls for seasoned breadcrumbs I have successfully used a mix of corn and rice chex finely pulverized in a food processor. The meatloaf held together well.
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

Maybe too many bread crumbs?
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 ScarlettsMommy

ScarlettsMommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

I made meatballs the other day and used corn chex... maybe if you just substituted the crumbs for the mashed up corn chex it would work.

#7 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:33 PM

I usually add a bit more binder to gluten-free crumbs (like 2 jumbo eggs vs 2 eggs) or add some groumd pork depending on how lean the beef is.

Most of the gluten-free purchsed products seam to have a mealy consistency, so I add extra fat or binding ingredients. but reducing the amount of bread crumbs makes great sense too.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#8 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

I use both egg and milk in my meatloaf and I have noticed that I use more milk now that I use gluten free crumbs. Crumb-quantity-wise, I'm probably also using a little less. I also use a higher fat ground beef for meatloaf than I would for something like spaghetti sauce.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#9 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:15 AM

We don't use breadcrumbs at all. There is a recipe on the blog linked from my profile.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#10 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

What I described above is called panade (a stiff mixture of bread crumbs and milk) and it is used by chefs as it makes the moistest meatloaf ever, yet it holds together incredibly well. The following is a description from one of my culinary books:

"The motivation is mostly textural. The major motivation for using bread crumbs is if they are soaked in milk, making what is called a "panade". Since meatballs and meatloaf are often cooked to well-done, they tend to be tough and dense. The panade does act as a binding agent, but, more importantly, the milk activates the starch in the bread to form a gel. This gel acts much like a fat, lubricating the meat's protein fibers and discouraging them from forming a tough matrix. Enzymes in the milk can also help tenderize tough cuts of meat, however, that would likely take longer than the average meatball recipe allows. Finally, if the meatballs are fried, breadcrumbs can help crisp the outside of the balls (especially if the balls are rolled in breadcrumbs on the outside)."
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

For binding agents in meatballs and meatloaf, I use the one egg and the same amount of breadcrumbs I have used in my recipes for 25 years, only they are made from gluten-free bread that I grind up in my small grinder and season them.

Still holds together just fine and I use a meatloaf pan because I like to let it sit after it has cooked and absorb the juices--yup, fatty juices and all. :)

I do add a splash of milk for the meatloaf.

No milk in the meatballs-- because I also use grated parm/reggiano in mine-- and that binds them together nicely.

The meat is always a beef/pork/veal combo for me. But just beef works just as well. :)

Tell your Mom to try less crumbs and see how it goes!
Cheers, IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 knittingmonkey

knittingmonkey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

Add certified gluten-free oats in lieu of bread, and use less of them.

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

Add certified gluten-free oats in lieu of bread, and use less of them.

My Mom always used oats in her meatloaf when we were kids.! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#14 Duhlina

Duhlina

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:54 AM

My mom was so excited to make a meatloaf for me earlier this week. It is her signature dinner fiod! Until she started to actually make it ... apparantely she used half a bag of glutino bread crumbs, and was still having problems shaping the meatloaf. It tasted just fine, but definitely fell apart fairly easily. Any tips on how to hold a gluten free meatloaf together?

I recently found this recipe and I swear it's the best meatloaf I've EVER made....gluten free or not! I did it the first time in the muffin tins, but every time after that I just shaped it like a regular meatloaf and baked it. Even hubby thinks it's the best!

http://www.food.com/...af-minis-280943

#15 BakingQueen

BakingQueen

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

I use an egg and some leftover mashed potatoes. Works great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: