1 reply to this topic

#1 azuroo

azuroo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

I've been trying to narrow down my food allergies for several years now. I am now 100% the main part of my digestive issues have been caused by lactose intolerance, since Lactaid and avoidance of dairy as much as possible has really helped.

The other day I had skin prick testing for food allergies. I've spent forever reading about the different methods, and all seem to have positives and negatives, so I just decided to do whatever the allergist recommended to start with. They tested me for a whole huge list of allergens. I've been having a severe reaction to something--my lips and tongue swell, my head stuffs up, I feel nauseated for hours after. I haven't been able to narrow down what was causing it. The skin tests showed that I am severely allergic to only two things: rye and pistachios!

I've been trying to research this a bit and can't seem to find any info about being solely allergic to rye. I didn't react to wheat, oats, corn, or rice...at least the reactions weren't larger than the histamine reaction by however they grade the sizes. I think it had to be 3mm larger or something. I am also not allergic to any other tree nuts.

I realize now that a couple of the a major reactions I've had were after eating a loaf of rye bread, and after eating something from the Whole Foods bakery case where rye bread is on the shelf! So I believe I have a true allergy to it, the skin test was correct.

My kids also eat a lot of pistachios, which I crack open for them. I was probably eating it second hand off of my fingers.

While googling I can't seem to find anything about being only allergic to rye. It's always linked to gluten. Is it possible to just react to rye? Should I pursue some further testing? If so, what tests should I do? The allergist seemed to think that rye was it and I have nothing else to worry about.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

While the autoimmune reaction in celiac disease is caused by a group of similar proteins, allergies are usually specific. It is quite possible to be allergic to one of the gluten grains, while having no difficulty with the others (as long as you don't also have celiac disease).
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: