19 replies to this topic

#1 Lady Jane

Lady Jane

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

One of the symptoms I had that I thought was use to celiac was constant mouth sores. Usually behind my back teeth, on the roof of my mouth, or on my lower lip in the front. Well, I've even off gluten for eight days and now I have another mouth sore. Do you think that means that the sores are unrelated to gluten? I'm pretty confident that I was not accidentally "glutened".

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

Try dry mouth toothpaste (check for gluten).

I also used to put some Dr. Tichenor's on the mouth sores or wash my mouth out with it (dilute it for mouthwash and check for gluten). I would put some straight on a cotton swab, and hold it on the sore. Burns like holy heck but it numbs it and would stop it from getting bigger.

And acidic foods make them worse.,.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 ScarlettsMommy

ScarlettsMommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

I get them too but i also have crohns along with celiac and my dr says the sores r from my crohns

#4 red island

red island

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

The reason I was eventually diagnosed with celiac was because of mouth sores. My dentist took one look and told me to get tested. That was 3 months ago and I still periodically get sore gums and mouth - not sure if from cc or because the celiacs is still active. I am using Biotene mouth wash and it seems to help.

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

I think eight days is too soon to really conclude much of anything.

richard

#6 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:02 PM

Are you talking canker sores? I have been gluten-free for 8 months and am still having trouble with canker sores.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#7 Lady Jane

Lady Jane

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

I don't think that they are canker sores. The are white in the middle with little bubble blisters and then red around the outside. They are terribly painful and irritating.

#8 red island

red island

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:17 PM

I don't think that they are canker sores. The are white in the middle with little bubble blisters and then red around the outside. They are terribly painful and irritating.

Sorry, I'm from the pre-computer era, I meant to say that my sores looked like that too and I was told by the dentist that it was a sign of active celiac or other autoimmune disease

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

I had recurring mouth/gum sores before DX.

As Richard has suggested, it may be too early for them to have disappeared just yet. You may still have them pop up for a few weeks-months.

It does not necessarily mean you were glutened or that they are related to anything else.

Give it some time. Mine are all gone now. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

Are you talking canker sores? I have been gluten-free for 8 months and am still having trouble with canker sores.

Try some L-Lysine. It's an amino acid and very helpful for canker sores.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#11 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:49 AM

Try some L-Lysine. It's an amino acid and very helpful for canker sores.

Thanks IrishHeart, seems like I am contniually thanking you for the info. Funny, now that you mention Llysyne, I actually stopped taking it because doc said it was a waste of money and now that I think about it, that's when I started having problems with canker sores.

I did some research on canker sores online and it was suggested that sodium lauryl sulfate in toothpaste was the problem but my toothpaste does not have this. So I will pick up some more Lysyne and see iff that takes ace of the problem.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:51 AM

Thanks IrishHeart, seems like I am contniually thanking you for the info. Funny, now that you mention Llysyne, I actually stopped taking it because doc said it was a waste of money and now that I think about it, that's when I started having problems with canker sores.

I did some research on canker sores online and it was suggested that sodium lauryl sulfate in toothpaste was the problem but my toothpaste does not have this. So I will pick up some more Lysyne and see iff that takes ace of the problem.

(chuckling) most docs pooh-pooh supplements--which is odd because they give us Vitamin D when we are low, B-12 when we are low, etc.--so obviously, supplementing is sometimes necessary. We do need to pick and choose of course, because over-supplementing is not beneficial either.

Celiacs are low in essential amino acids because of prolonged malabsorption. L-lysine is an amino acid. I had success using it--it was suggested by a friend who had awful canker sores her whole life--and it worked. Avoid OJ and tomato juice for a while. Give it a few weeks. If it works, great! Just a thought. Cheers, IH

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

That was one of mine, ulcers I mean. It is only starting to become noticeably less now, and I
ve been gluten-free for almost 12 months - these things take time!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#14 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

It took months for me to stop getting canker sores. Eight days is nothing. The gluten is barely even getting out of your body.

#15 Lady Jane

Lady Jane

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

Good to know that eight days isn't long enough. I'm fine waiting... I just was concerned that maybe it meant I was wrong in connecting the two (sores & celiac). Thanks everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: