This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mouth Sores

Lady Jane

Lady Jane Newbie

One of the symptoms I had that I thought was use to celiac was constant mouth sores. Usually behind my back teeth, on the roof of my mouth, or on my lower lip in the front. Well, I've even off gluten for eight days and now I have another mouth sore. Do you think that means that the sores are unrelated to gluten? I'm pretty confident that I was not accidentally "glutened".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Try dry mouth toothpaste (check for gluten).

I also used to put some Dr. Tichenor's on the mouth sores or wash my mouth out with it (dilute it for mouthwash and check for gluten). I would put some straight on a cotton swab, and hold it on the sore. Burns like holy heck but it numbs it and would stop it from getting bigger.

And acidic foods make them worse.,.

ScarlettsMommy Explorer

I get them too but i also have crohns along with celiac and my dr says the sores r from my crohns

red island Newbie

The reason I was eventually diagnosed with celiac was because of mouth sores. My dentist took one look and told me to get tested. That was 3 months ago and I still periodically get sore gums and mouth - not sure if from cc or because the celiacs is still active. I am using Biotene mouth wash and it seems to help.

lovegrov Collaborator

I think eight days is too soon to really conclude much of anything.

richard

AVR1962 Collaborator

Are you talking canker sores? I have been gluten-free for 8 months and am still having trouble with canker sores.

Lady Jane Newbie

I don't think that they are canker sores. The are white in the middle with little bubble blisters and then red around the outside. They are terribly painful and irritating.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

red island Newbie

I don't think that they are canker sores. The are white in the middle with little bubble blisters and then red around the outside. They are terribly painful and irritating.

Sorry, I'm from the pre-computer era, I meant to say that my sores looked like that too and I was told by the dentist that it was a sign of active celiac or other autoimmune disease

IrishHeart Veteran

I had recurring mouth/gum sores before DX.

As Richard has suggested, it may be too early for them to have disappeared just yet. You may still have them pop up for a few weeks-months.

It does not necessarily mean you were glutened or that they are related to anything else.

Give it some time. Mine are all gone now. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Are you talking canker sores? I have been gluten-free for 8 months and am still having trouble with canker sores.

Try some L-Lysine. It's an amino acid and very helpful for canker sores.

AVR1962 Collaborator

Try some L-Lysine. It's an amino acid and very helpful for canker sores.

Thanks IrishHeart, seems like I am contniually thanking you for the info. Funny, now that you mention Llysyne, I actually stopped taking it because doc said it was a waste of money and now that I think about it, that's when I started having problems with canker sores.

I did some research on canker sores online and it was suggested that sodium lauryl sulfate in toothpaste was the problem but my toothpaste does not have this. So I will pick up some more Lysyne and see iff that takes ace of the problem.

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks IrishHeart, seems like I am contniually thanking you for the info. Funny, now that you mention Llysyne, I actually stopped taking it because doc said it was a waste of money and now that I think about it, that's when I started having problems with canker sores.

I did some research on canker sores online and it was suggested that sodium lauryl sulfate in toothpaste was the problem but my toothpaste does not have this. So I will pick up some more Lysyne and see iff that takes ace of the problem.

(chuckling) most docs pooh-pooh supplements--which is odd because they give us Vitamin D when we are low, B-12 when we are low, etc.--so obviously, supplementing is sometimes necessary. We do need to pick and choose of course, because over-supplementing is not beneficial either.

Celiacs are low in essential amino acids because of prolonged malabsorption. L-lysine is an amino acid. I had success using it--it was suggested by a friend who had awful canker sores her whole life--and it worked. Avoid OJ and tomato juice for a while. Give it a few weeks. If it works, great! Just a thought. Cheers, IH

beebs Enthusiast

That was one of mine, ulcers I mean. It is only starting to become noticeably less now, and I

ve been gluten-free for almost 12 months - these things take time!

Skylark Collaborator

It took months for me to stop getting canker sores. Eight days is nothing. The gluten is barely even getting out of your body.

Lady Jane Newbie

Good to know that eight days isn't long enough. I'm fine waiting... I just was concerned that maybe it meant I was wrong in connecting the two (sores & celiac). Thanks everyone!

Lori2 Contributor

My daughter's canker sores were diagnosed at Mayo Clinic to be due to iron malabsorbtion--a common celiac problem. Get your iron levels checked, not just hemoglobin, but also ferritin, % of saturation, etc. Your problem will probably not resolve until you start absorbing nutrients properly.

cap6 Enthusiast

I had horrific mouth sores prior to diagnosis, 8 to 10 at a time to the point where I couldn't talk. After a couple of months they lessened. At 21 month I still get one from time to time but they no longer get to the ulcerated point, just uncomfortable. Give it time.

AVR1962 Collaborator

I started taking L-Lysine about a week ago, advise from IrishHeart, and my canker sore is almost gone. And, been abttling with a yeast infection again and couldn't figure out why. That too has cleared up.

IrishHeart Veteran

I started taking L-Lysine about a week ago, advise from IrishHeart, and my canker sore is almost gone. And, been abttling with a yeast infection again and couldn't figure out why. That too has cleared up.

Glad it helped. :) Those things have any number of causes but the L-lysine has worked for me. RE: the yeasties---are you taking probiotics??

AVR1962 Collaborator

Glad it helped. :) Those things have any number of causes but the L-lysine has worked for me. RE: the yeasties---are you taking probiotics??

I am taking a probiotic. However, this last one was one I picked up at the grocery store and not as good, probably, as the one I normally take. Need to order the one I prefer.

Archived