#1 Albion

Albion

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:31 AM

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with Celiac through a blood test along with candida albicans; my level for candida was +3.3 about 3 months ago. My Dr. put me on liquid Nystatin 1,000,000 units (about a tablespoon) 4x a day. I have been following the yeast and gluten free diet devoutly.

I am wondering 2 things:

Has anyone on this forum has had success in treating celiac-related candida with nystatin? As restrictive as a gluten free diet is, gluten free is paradise compared to a candida diet!

When/did those who took nystatin stop the die off reaction? 3 months in and I am still feeling the die off with each dose I take. (The naturopath, who is angry I am taking a prescription, just said I was "weird" and she'd never known anyone to herx throughout the whole dose.)

This is such a positive place to get feedback. I really appreciate anyone's help with this.
diagnosed IgG gluten intolerant October, 2011
diagnosed IgG casein intolerant December, 2011
diagnosed IgE allergic to eggs & bananas, January, 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:59 PM

I have to wonder if you are reacting to the Nystatin rather than experiencing die-off, since it's going for this long and you feel it after every dose.

#3 Albion

Albion

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

I have to wonder if you are reacting to the Nystatin rather than experiencing die-off, since it's going for this long and you feel it after every dose.

I think you might be right. The pharmacist pointed out that the liquid Nystatin I was taking was 33% sucrose. The herxheimer reaction I got every time I took it could have been a reaction to liquid sugar.

I am going to have the format of the Nystatin changed to pill form and take the herba anti-fungals my naturopath recommends.

Does anyone else have celiac/candida success strategies they can share?

#4 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:18 PM

I think you might be right. The pharmacist pointed out that the liquid Nystatin I was taking was 33% sucrose. The herxheimer reaction I got every time I took it could have been a reaction to liquid sugar.

I am going to have the format of the Nystatin changed to pill form and take the herba anti-fungals my naturopath recommends.

Does anyone else have celiac/candida success strategies they can share?

I know exactly what you are going thru as I did the Candida diet twice in my lifetime, when I thought my problem was all Candida and knew little to nothing about Celiac. Turns out I had both problems but following the Candida diet and taking Nystatin made me feel a whole lot better. You are also correct in that the Candida diet is much harder to deal with than going gluten free....the gluten-free diet is easy compared to that.

Here is what I learned in the 2 years I followed the diet....taking liquid Nystatin is a big no-no as it's mainly sugar and sugar feeds yeast. Yes, hard to believe that anyone would prescribe a sugar laden med to combat Candida but that's how deep the ignorance goes! :o You need to get the powdered form of Nystatin and either have it put into capsules OR mix it with water and drink it...which is what I did. The sugar laden Nystatin is mainly used to give to infants with thrush so they'll swallow it. Nystatin by itself is not the greatest thing taste-wise and infants would spit it out. It still feeds the yeast and that's why some babies have repeat occurrences of thrush but try telling the medical profession that! DUH! You are actually making the yeast growth worse by using this form and that's why you are having reactions. Been there, done that, no thank you.....

If you follow a strict Candida, absolutely no sugar diet :( , and take the Nystatin in it's natural form, it should clear up the problem well. I got sick from die off within a month of starting this regimen and got a Rx for Diflucan to take as an added boost and it worked well. After about 6 weeks on the diet when the die off subsided, I felt better than I have felt in years. Still had Celiac but I didn't know it at the time. The Candida diet will make a Celiac feel better because you cannot have any refined carbs at all. The only carb I ate was brown rice....nothing white at all.

I wish you luck with this because it is hard....mood swings from hell from the sugar withdrawal. Gluten was a piece of cake to give up compared to this! However, those level out after a few weeks and you get your sanity back.

#5 Albion

Albion

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

I know exactly what you are going thru as I did the Candida diet twice in my lifetime, when I thought my problem was all Candida and knew little to nothing about Celiac. Turns out I had both problems but following the Candida diet and taking Nystatin made me feel a whole lot better. You are also correct in that the Candida diet is much harder to deal with than going gluten free....the gluten-free diet is easy compared to that.

Here is what I learned in the 2 years I followed the diet....taking liquid Nystatin is a big no-no as it's mainly sugar and sugar feeds yeast. Yes, hard to believe that anyone would prescribe a sugar laden med to combat Candida but that's how deep the ignorance goes! :o You need to get the powdered form of Nystatin and either have it put into capsules OR mix it with water and drink it...which is what I did. The sugar laden Nystatin is mainly used to give to infants with thrush so they'll swallow it. Nystatin by itself is not the greatest thing taste-wise and infants would spit it out. It still feeds the yeast and that's why some babies have repeat occurrences of thrush but try telling the medical profession that! DUH! You are actually making the yeast growth worse by using this form and that's why you are having reactions. Been there, done that, no thank you.....

If you follow a strict Candida, absolutely no sugar diet :( , and take the Nystatin in it's natural form, it should clear up the problem well. I got sick from die off within a month of starting this regimen and got a Rx for Diflucan to take as an added boost and it worked well. After about 6 weeks on the diet when the die off subsided, I felt better than I have felt in years. Still had Celiac but I didn't know it at the time. The Candida diet will make a Celiac feel better because you cannot have any refined carbs at all. The only carb I ate was brown rice....nothing white at all.

I wish you luck with this because it is hard....mood swings from hell from the sugar withdrawal. Gluten was a piece of cake to give up compared to this! However, those level out after a few weeks and you get your sanity back.

Thank you so much for this information! I had no idea that the ignorance went as deep as you point out it has. I figured the manufacturer knew what they were doing. But your point about infants and thrush makes sense. They can't take pills and would spit out something bad tasting.

I have been good with the candida/no sugar or starch diet (not even diet coke and fake sugar!) and still felt badly. I was crying with frustration and fear that I would never get better. Driving my naturopath (who wanted me to only use garlic, caprylic acid etc and didn't know enough about Nystatin liquid b/c that's not her field) and my therapist insane.

I think I will stick to my naturopath's recommendations until I can get my GP to switch to the Nystatin pills.

It is wonderful to hear that you recovered and can live on the Celiac diet and feel well. I am aspiring to get there.

Thanks to you and to the other well-informed people on the forum. I don't know what I would do without all of you to help me problem solve.

#6 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

Thank you so much for this information! I had no idea that the ignorance went as deep as you point out it has. I figured the manufacturer knew what they were doing. But your point about infants and thrush makes sense. They can't take pills and would spit out something bad tasting.

I have been good with the candida/no sugar or starch diet (not even diet coke and fake sugar!) and still felt badly. I was crying with frustration and fear that I would never get better. Driving my naturopath (who wanted me to only use garlic, caprylic acid etc and didn't know enough about Nystatin liquid b/c that's not her field) and my therapist insane.

I think I will stick to my naturopath's recommendations until I can get my GP to switch to the Nystatin pills.

It is wonderful to hear that you recovered and can live on the Celiac diet and feel well. I am aspiring to get there.

Thanks to you and to the other well-informed people on the forum. I don't know what I would do without all of you to help me problem solve.

The most important thing to do is not eat any sugar or food that will break down into sugars...refined carbs.
They feed yeast. For an example, place some yeast in warm water and add some sugar...this is called "proofing" the yeast. It proves the yeast is still good or active. The yeast goes wild!

Nystatin is a Rx anti-fungal. It is the big guns as far as combating yeast systemically. Caprylic acid is supposed to be very good also but I think for a really bad yeast issue, a Rx anti-fungal works best. It does take time and you may have to follow the diet for awhile....like recovering from Celiac. Once the problem is gone, however, you don't have to be as strict with the sugar intake. You may feel crappy for a couple of months too as the yeast is purged from your system. It does work well though.

#7 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with Celiac through a blood test along with candida albicans; my level for candida was +3.3 about 3 months ago. My Dr. put me on liquid Nystatin 1,000,000 units (about a tablespoon) 4x a day. I have been following the yeast and gluten free diet devoutly.

I am wondering 2 things:

Has anyone on this forum has had success in treating celiac-related candida with nystatin? As restrictive as a gluten free diet is, gluten free is paradise compared to a candida diet!

When/did those who took nystatin stop the die off reaction? 3 months in and I am still feeling the die off with each dose I take. (The naturopath, who is angry I am taking a prescription, just said I was "weird" and she'd never known anyone to herx throughout the whole dose.)

I successfully treated my candida infection (diagnosed by stool test) with nystatin. I took that for 3 months. I had side effects from nystatin during most of that treatment period. I don't believe in 'die off', but I experienced the listed common side effects from nystatin.

I agree that the 'candida diet' is waaaay too restrictive. I also haven't read that anyone with candida (idagnosed by stool test) ever 'starved out' their candida with that diet. I often read about people, who suspect they have candida, using that diet and then thinking they recovered from candida. However, I never read that they were actually diagnosed with candida by stool test before using that diet.

I have 6 diagnosed food allergies in addition to celiac (gluten intolerance restriction). I have lots of safe foods even with my 7 food restrictions. I tried the anticandida diet for 3 weeks when my NP suspected candida. I lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks and didn't need to lose any weight. Fortunately I didn't have candida at that time. So when I had measureable candida on a later test, I opted to take Nystatin, rather than try that diet again.

This is such a positive place to get feedback. I really appreciate anyone's help with this.

I successfuly treated my candida infection (diagnosed by stool test) by taking Nystatin for 3 months. (The next 4 stool tests were free of candida.) I don't believe in 'die off', but I did experience the listed side effects of Nystatin for almost all 3 months of the treatment period. Eventually my body adjusted to that drug and I stopped experiencing the symptoms.

Before I evern was diagnosed with Candida, I tried the 'anti candida' diet for 3 weeks and lost 4 pounds when I didn't need to lose an ounce. So when I acutally had candida, I opted to use Nystatin. I have celiac disease and 6 additional diagnosed food allergies. I have lots of safe foods with those 7 allergy restrictions. By comparison I had difficulty finding anything to eat on that candida diet.

I've read about people using the anticandida diet to 'starve' their yeastie beasties to death. However, most people using that diet were not actually diagnosed by stool test with candida. They just tried the diet because they thought their symptoms meant they had candida. So when the symptoms went away, they thought the diet cured them. I haven't meat anyone who recoverd from diagnosed (by stool test) candida, by using the anticandida diet.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#8 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:53 AM

I successfuly treated my candida infection (diagnosed by stool test) by taking Nystatin for 3 months. (The next 4 stool tests were free of candida.) I don't believe in 'die off', but I did experience the listed side effects of Nystatin for almost all 3 months of the treatment period. Eventually my body adjusted to that drug and I stopped experiencing the symptoms.

Before I evern was diagnosed with Candida, I tried the 'anti candida' diet for 3 weeks and lost 4 pounds when I didn't need to lose an ounce. So when I acutally had candida, I opted to use Nystatin. I have celiac disease and 6 additional diagnosed food allergies. I have lots of safe foods with those 7 allergy restrictions. By comparison I had difficulty finding anything to eat on that candida diet.

I've read about people using the anticandida diet to 'starve' their yeastie beasties to death. However, most people using that diet were not actually diagnosed by stool test with candida. They just tried the diet because they thought their symptoms meant they had candida. So when the symptoms went away, they thought the diet cured them. I haven't meat anyone who recoverd from diagnosed (by stool test) candida, by using the anticandida diet.

Well then, consider me your first person who achieved this! :D I tried taking the Nystatin alone and it did not work without following the diet. I did do both, though, as you cannot get rid of candida with just the diet alone. If you keep feeding the candida, then it's difficult to eradicate it from your body. However, there are varying levels of infection so maybe some have luck with just using Nystatin...who's to say?

I also did not find the candida diet difficult after about a month....it's like Celiac, the longer you do it and the more you learn about food choices, the easier it becomes. It all depends on how badly you want to get better.

#9 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:42 PM

I think you misunderstood me. Nystatin is a fairly toxic drug and while it's supposed to be poorly absorbed, allergies and side effects are still possible. Herxheimer symptoms are not very specific and many of the symptoms overlap Nystatin toxicity reactions. Nystatin can damage your liver if your intestines are damaged enough from celiac that you are absorbing some of it.

I don't understand why folks take Nystatin for mild candidiasis. Candida is pretty easy to kill with probiotics and safe, natural foods like coconut oil. I'm not sure people grasp how toxic antifungals are. As one of my biology teachers said, "fungi are eucaryotes and so are we". Nystatin is safe if and only if your gut is in good enough shape that none of it gets through to your bloodstream. That's too big an if for me.

Agreed that diet alone won't cut it for candida. Nature abhors a vacuum and as soon as you shift off the restrictive diet it will grow right back unless you manage to get a good population of bacteria going.

By the way, you don't need a stool test to diagnose candida if you're getting recurring thrush or vaginal yeast. If it's in one part of your body, it's everywhere.

#10 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

I think you misunderstood me. Nystatin is a fairly toxic drug and while it's supposed to be poorly absorbed, allergies and side effects are still possible. Herxheimer symptoms are not very specific and many of the symptoms overlap Nystatin toxicity reactions. Nystatin can damage your liver if your intestines are damaged enough from celiac that you are absorbing some of it.

I don't understand why folks take Nystatin for mild candidiasis. Candida is pretty easy to kill with probiotics and safe, natural foods like coconut oil. I'm not sure people grasp how toxic antifungals are. As one of my biology teachers said, "fungi are eucaryotes and so are we". Nystatin is safe if and only if your gut is in good enough shape that none of it gets through to your bloodstream. That's too big an if for me.

Agreed that diet alone won't cut it for candida. Nature abhors a vacuum and as soon as you shift off the restrictive diet it will grow right back unless you manage to get a good population of bacteria going.

By the way, you don't need a stool test to diagnose candida if you're getting recurring thrush or vaginal yeast. If it's in one part of your body, it's everywhere.

Skylark...you are being a scaremonger here. People who take Rx anti-fungals are taking it for systemic candida infections that may have plagued them for years and just taking probiotics will not get rid of the problem. It's part of the therapy but not the sole cure.
Systemic candida can kill you and that is not a scare tactic..it's true. I can assure you that when I was suffering from it, it was hardly a "mild" case. I never got rid of the thrush I had and had a sore throat for most of a one year period. I also lost my sense of taste and had a sore tongue, which made it difficult to eat. Try that and then tell me I shouldn't have taken Nystatin. Not only did it do the trick, it did not damage my liver or cause any other side effects while taking it. Combined with the diet, I got rid of the infection and never had a problem with it again.

I don't mind if people choose a more natural route for their treatment but when you have it bad, you sometimes have to nuke the problem hard. Candida as a systemic issue is far more toxic to your system than Nystatin is.

#11 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

I don't like your insulting tone, Gemini. Someone says "I have a reaction after every dose of a drug" and anyone with a shred of common sense would say "gee, maybe it's the drug."

I'm glad to hear Nystatin helped you, but it doesn't mean it's the right medicine for everyone. People die of bacterial infections, but they also die from penicillin allergy. Like antibiotics, Nystatin is somewhat overprescribed. I just think Albion needs to talk to her doctor to make sure the reactions are still Herxheimer and not a allergic sensitization or irritation/toxicity issue.

#12 Albion

Albion

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:56 PM

I don't like your insulting tone, Gemini. Someone says "I have a reaction after every dose of a drug" and anyone with a shred of common sense would say "gee, maybe it's the drug."

I'm glad to hear Nystatin helped you, but it doesn't mean it's the right medicine for everyone. People die of bacterial infections, but they also die from penicillin allergy. Like antibiotics, Nystatin is somewhat overprescribed. I just think Albion needs to talk to her doctor to make sure the reactions are still Herxheimer and not a allergic sensitization or irritation/toxicity issue.

So sorry! I did not want to start an argument. I have just been very despairing about the treatment. I was taking a sugar-loaded version of Nystatin (used for infants with thrush, it turns out!) and I feel like I didn't make any progress for the 2 months I was taking it.

My die off has been worse over the last few days with Caprylic Acid, so I am thinking I am just very sensitive to the chemicals the yeast lets go of when it dies. I am going to have my doctor do a stool culture to see what we are actually dealing with now. Did I make it worse? Is it just the same? Maybe a little better?

That brings me to my next question....what type of stool test is best for detecting candida? My celiac panel was done by a blood test and that was conclusive. I am not sure the same is true for candida.

Thanks to all of you that have been helping. I live alone with this and the isolation is tremendous and painful.

#13 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

So sorry! I did not want to start an argument. I have just been very despairing about the treatment. I was taking a sugar-loaded version of Nystatin (used for infants with thrush, it turns out!) and I feel like I didn't make any progress for the 2 months I was taking it.

My die off has been worse over the last few days with Caprylic Acid, so I am thinking I am just very sensitive to the chemicals the yeast lets go of when it dies. I am going to have my doctor do a stool culture to see what we are actually dealing with now. Did I make it worse? Is it just the same? Maybe a little better?

That brings me to my next question....what type of stool test is best for detecting candida? My celiac panel was done by a blood test and that was conclusive. I am not sure the same is true for candida.

Thanks to all of you that have been helping. I live alone with this and the isolation is tremendous and painful.

You have no need to apologize for an argument that didn't happen. I was not offended by Skylark's remark...I just think it was overreaction to a statement I made that I stand by. You are correct....the Nystatin in oral suspension will help to keep you sick if it is a true candida because it's all sugar. You may have a tough time in the beginning because of die off...that's what happened to me. It wasn't the Nystatin that made me feel bad, it was the die off. After about 2 months, things got a lot better. With continued use, I felt great.

Just make sure you go to a reputable doctor to be diagnosed and treated for it. I am not sure of specific testing but most doctors who deal with this problem will know what tests to run. Mine were done almost 20 years ago so I can't remember specifics. It takes a long time to combat a systemic candida problem, much like Celiac. It can take almost a year to eradicate it from your system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: