14 replies to this topic

#1 MyMississippi

MyMississippi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:57 AM

What's your secret to using Tinkyada lasagna noodles when making your homemade lasagna --- so the noodles will not be mushy ----???????????
Thanks for your help : )
CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin
1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

Barely cook them then put them in the lasagna. You can NOT cook wheat noodles and tgey will be fine after the lasagna bakes but I don't know about rice.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

I actually don't cook them at all, just make sure that there is enough sauce so the noodles don't dry out.

#4 SeparateToasters

SeparateToasters

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

I have had good success with not cooking the noodles and adding about 1/2 cup of water to the sauce. I also cover the lasagna for most of the cooking.

#5 MyMississippi

MyMississippi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:25 PM

Thank you ! ! I was wondering if I could use them uncooked--- so I will give that a try.
I love forums ----- the "world at your fingertips" HA ! :P
CeeCee

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

#6 Cathey

Cathey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

Please let us know which suggestion you used and how it came out. This being my first Christmas gluten-free I'm using Stuffed Shells from a local Pasta store. I've enjoyed there Ravioli and gnocchi, hope the shells are as good. Happy Holidays.
Cathey

#7 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

Lasagna was always our Christmas eve dinner. This is my first year gluten-free. I bought Tinkyada lasagna noodles, but I'm afraid of how the lasgna will turn out. My gluten eating family will be very disappointed if it's anything like the DeBoles pasta I served recently.
Please post how yours goes? I'm thinking about skipping it this year rather than serve something sub-par.

#8 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:14 PM

Lasagna was always our Christmas eve dinner. This is my first year gluten-free. I bought Tinkyada lasagna noodles, but I'm afraid of how the lasgna will turn out. My gluten eating family will be very disappointed if it's anything like the DeBoles pasta I served recently.
Please post how yours goes? I'm thinking about skipping it this year rather than serve something sub-par.

I made "traditional" lasagna using Tinkyada noodles and no one knew the the difference.

I read somewhere on the forum that corn pasta is a mess in lasagna. For spaghetti I use corn/quinoa and everyone likes it.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#9 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

When I made lasagna with the Tinkyada noodles, I did not cook them first and just made sure that every inch of noodle was covered by sauce. I cooked it for about 45 minutes (which is how long I cooked my gluten filled lasagna) and it turned out perfect. I think I may make it myself for Christmas eve since the dinner is usually fish which my daughters and I have never liked and it has to be meatless or my grandmother would probably be very unhappy. I hope that yours turns out well.

#10 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:23 PM

I'm starting to feel a little braver. The package says to pre-boil the noodles. Maybe if I cook them for a couple of minutes(but not the full amount of time) it will remove the extra starch?
I know I should have experimented before now so such an important meal wouldn't be so scary? :(

#11 MyMississippi

MyMississippi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

Please let us know which suggestion you used and how it came out. This being my first Christmas gluten-free I'm using Stuffed Shells from a local Pasta store. I've enjoyed there Ravioli and gnocchi, hope the shells are as good. Happy Holidays.
Cathey

I plan to cook this Friday , so I will be glad to let you know how it goes. :)
CeeCee

#12 MyMississippi

MyMississippi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

I'm starting to feel a little braver. The package says to pre-boil the noodles. Maybe if I cook them for a couple of minutes(but not the full amount of time) it will remove the extra starch?
I know I should have experimented before now so such an important meal wouldn't be so scary? :(

Don't be afraid to try them ---- It will not be a disaster. I have made Lasagne with the Tinkyada noodles before, but I thought they were too soft for my liking, although the other people eating the lasagna did not seem to notice. I did precook those noodles as directed on the bag at that time.
But this time, I am NOT going to cook them beforehand--

Enjoy your lasagna ! :)
CeeCee

#13 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:04 AM

I was fretting. Hubby suggested a pork roast with carmelized onions and pan roasted potatoes. It's something I've made for years, so it wouldn't add to my stress level.
This may sound silly..but thinking I had something figured out and then having something else suggested has the opposite effect from relieving the stress! :blink:

#14 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

Undercook the noodles quite a bit, and what has worked for me in the past is to carefully remove them one at a time from the pot by draping a noodle over a wooden spoon, rinsing it under cold running water, then setting it in a colander to drain as I rinse the others. This is pretty labor-intensive, and if you cook them too long, they still fall apart. Last time I just dumped them into the strainer all at once, and that was not successful. I had to construct my lasagna with noodle puzzle pieces, once I got them peeled apart. I'd recommend the no-cook method. I haven't tried it, but I'm going to next time.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#15 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for sharing those tips! In the past when I was using gluten noodles occasionally I'd tear a noodle or two and have to piece them back together. I can't imagine having to do all of them!

I guess one of the things that had me thinking I'd have to pre-boil is the fact that the noodles get bigger as they cook? I usually put a bit of sauce in the bottom of the dish, then a layer of noodles, a bit more sauce, noodles, then a layer of ricotta or cottage cheese mixed with an egg, then repeat the noodle/sauce until I run out of noodles. I was thinking the cheese layer might not work out and be where it should if the noodles change size?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: