Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Calling Italian Cooks : )

15 posts in this topic

What's your secret to using Tinkyada lasagna noodles when making your homemade lasagna --- so the noodles will not be mushy ----???????????

Thanks for your help : )

Ads by Google:

Barely cook them then put them in the lasagna. You can NOT cook wheat noodles and tgey will be fine after the lasagna bakes but I don't know about rice.

I actually don't cook them at all, just make sure that there is enough sauce so the noodles don't dry out.

I have had good success with not cooking the noodles and adding about 1/2 cup of water to the sauce. I also cover the lasagna for most of the cooking.

Thank you ! ! I was wondering if I could use them uncooked--- so I will give that a try.

I love forums ----- the "world at your fingertips" HA ! :P

Please let us know which suggestion you used and how it came out. This being my first Christmas gluten-free I'm using Stuffed Shells from a local Pasta store. I've enjoyed there Ravioli and gnocchi, hope the shells are as good. Happy Holidays.

Cathey

Lasagna was always our Christmas eve dinner. This is my first year gluten-free. I bought Tinkyada lasagna noodles, but I'm afraid of how the lasgna will turn out. My gluten eating family will be very disappointed if it's anything like the DeBoles pasta I served recently.

Please post how yours goes? I'm thinking about skipping it this year rather than serve something sub-par.

Lasagna was always our Christmas eve dinner. This is my first year gluten-free. I bought Tinkyada lasagna noodles, but I'm afraid of how the lasgna will turn out. My gluten eating family will be very disappointed if it's anything like the DeBoles pasta I served recently.

Please post how yours goes? I'm thinking about skipping it this year rather than serve something sub-par.

I made "traditional" lasagna using Tinkyada noodles and no one knew the the difference.

I read somewhere on the forum that corn pasta is a mess in lasagna. For spaghetti I use corn/quinoa and everyone likes it.

When I made lasagna with the Tinkyada noodles, I did not cook them first and just made sure that every inch of noodle was covered by sauce. I cooked it for about 45 minutes (which is how long I cooked my gluten filled lasagna) and it turned out perfect. I think I may make it myself for Christmas eve since the dinner is usually fish which my daughters and I have never liked and it has to be meatless or my grandmother would probably be very unhappy. I hope that yours turns out well.

I'm starting to feel a little braver. The package says to pre-boil the noodles. Maybe if I cook them for a couple of minutes(but not the full amount of time) it will remove the extra starch?

I know I should have experimented before now so such an important meal wouldn't be so scary? :(

Please let us know which suggestion you used and how it came out. This being my first Christmas gluten-free I'm using Stuffed Shells from a local Pasta store. I've enjoyed there Ravioli and gnocchi, hope the shells are as good. Happy Holidays.

Cathey

I plan to cook this Friday , so I will be glad to let you know how it goes. :)

I'm starting to feel a little braver. The package says to pre-boil the noodles. Maybe if I cook them for a couple of minutes(but not the full amount of time) it will remove the extra starch?

I know I should have experimented before now so such an important meal wouldn't be so scary? :(

Don't be afraid to try them ---- It will not be a disaster. I have made Lasagne with the Tinkyada noodles before, but I thought they were too soft for my liking, although the other people eating the lasagna did not seem to notice. I did precook those noodles as directed on the bag at that time.

But this time, I am NOT going to cook them beforehand--

Enjoy your lasagna ! :)

I was fretting. Hubby suggested a pork roast with carmelized onions and pan roasted potatoes. It's something I've made for years, so it wouldn't add to my stress level.

This may sound silly..but thinking I had something figured out and then having something else suggested has the opposite effect from relieving the stress! :blink:

Undercook the noodles quite a bit, and what has worked for me in the past is to carefully remove them one at a time from the pot by draping a noodle over a wooden spoon, rinsing it under cold running water, then setting it in a colander to drain as I rinse the others. This is pretty labor-intensive, and if you cook them too long, they still fall apart. Last time I just dumped them into the strainer all at once, and that was not successful. I had to construct my lasagna with noodle puzzle pieces, once I got them peeled apart. I'd recommend the no-cook method. I haven't tried it, but I'm going to next time.

Thanks for sharing those tips! In the past when I was using gluten noodles occasionally I'd tear a noodle or two and have to piece them back together. I can't imagine having to do all of them!

I guess one of the things that had me thinking I'd have to pre-boil is the fact that the noodles get bigger as they cook? I usually put a bit of sauce in the bottom of the dish, then a layer of noodles, a bit more sauce, noodles, then a layer of ricotta or cottage cheese mixed with an egg, then repeat the noodle/sauce until I run out of noodles. I was thinking the cheese layer might not work out and be where it should if the noodles change size?