7 replies to this topic

#1 mindbodysoul

mindbodysoul

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

I bought some Almay I-intense eye shadow yesterday as well as some Covergirl Perfect Point eyeliner stick and have done research all yesterday and today trying to find out if these items are safe. They are currently unopened and can be returned if not, thus why I am asking this question. I need make up for a get together and I don't feel comfortable using something that could make me sick or cause a reaction. I have never had an issue before (that I know of) with any of my other make up products, including my mascara which I just found out yesterday contains wheat! :(

Does anyone here use Almay and Covergirl with no issues and what department store brands do you use and feel comfortable using on your skin?
* - Gluten free since the early summer of 2011. (Gluten intolerant. Mother is intolerant, brother is allergic to wheat.)
* - Boyfriend has symptoms of Celiac Disease and is allergic to wheat. Gluten-free since mid-late summer of 2011. (Symptoms have since been resolved)
* - Peanut free since December 2011. (Bad reaction to pistachios, slight reaction to almonds)
* - Trying to go diary free (possibly sensitive, runs in family) and limit sugar intake.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

I bought some Almay I-intense eye shadow yesterday as well as some Covergirl Perfect Point eyeliner stick and have done research all yesterday and today trying to find out if these items are safe. They are currently unopened and can be returned if not, thus why I am asking this question. I need make up for a get together and I don't feel comfortable using something that could make me sick or cause a reaction. I have never had an issue before (that I know of) with any of my other make up products, including my mascara which I just found out yesterday contains wheat! :(

Does anyone here use Almay and Covergirl with no issues and what department store brands do you use and feel comfortable using on your skin?

Welcome to the forum! I don't use either of the products you mention although I do use some Cover Girl powder and Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. I'm basically using the same products I did before I went gluten-free and haven't had a problem with them. Now lipstick can be ingested so I threw out a good bit of it.

Out of curiosity, what mascara are you using that contains wheat?
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 mindbodysoul

mindbodysoul

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

Welcome to the forum! I don't use either of the products you mention although I do use some Cover Girl powder and Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. I'm basically using the same products I did before I went gluten-free and haven't had a problem with them. Now lipstick can be ingested so I threw out a good bit of it.

Out of curiosity, what mascara are you using that contains wheat?

Thank you for the welcome! :)

The mascara I have been using is 100% Pure mascara in black tea. I have noticed that sometimes after I take my make up off that my eyes will water when I am sleeping and become puffy, this is rare but it has happened before in the past... I always used to think it was allergies in the air but perhaps it's a reaction to the wheat in the mascara. I plan on tossing it out even though it's rare that my eyes would react. I contacted the company and they said they will look into making a gluten free mascara, which makes me happy but I'm now without mascara once again!

I went to the store and bought some eye liner from Maybelline, I read a post about their eye liner being gluten free (however it was from 2009)... the ingredients to me look OK but I'm still wary. Trying to find gluten-free make up is such a pain...
* - Gluten free since the early summer of 2011. (Gluten intolerant. Mother is intolerant, brother is allergic to wheat.)
* - Boyfriend has symptoms of Celiac Disease and is allergic to wheat. Gluten-free since mid-late summer of 2011. (Symptoms have since been resolved)
* - Peanut free since December 2011. (Bad reaction to pistachios, slight reaction to almonds)
* - Trying to go diary free (possibly sensitive, runs in family) and limit sugar intake.

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:24 AM

It is difficult to decipher the ingredients in cosmetics and personal care products. And we may have a reaction to most anything even if it has nothing to do with gluten. Ingredients may change at any time.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#5 mindbodysoul

mindbodysoul

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

I contacted Almay and Maybelline asking if their products were gluten free. Maybelline got back to me regarding their Expert Wear eye shadows and told me that their eye shadow was in fact gluten free. I'm very happy to find that out. :)

I went ahead and used the Almay eye shadow as of right now, I'm not showing signs of a reaction but for me it takes time.

#6 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:39 AM

Do you know what Mabeline or drug store lipsticks are gluten free? I prefer the reds.
Thanks,
Linda Lee
Lee

#7 TLK879

TLK879

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hi. I was wondering if you ever got a response back from Almay. I have been using the Almay intense i-color eyeliner and eyeshadow for years and I love the colors. But, if they have gluten and are adding to my reactions I don't want to keep using them. Thanks!

#8 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

I use Afterglow cosmetics. All organic and ALL gluten free made in a gluten free facility by a family of celiacs. This is awesome make-up. It's a little expensive but well worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: