This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Safe Department Store Cosmetics.

mindbodysoul

mindbodysoul Newbie

I bought some Almay I-intense eye shadow yesterday as well as some Covergirl Perfect Point eyeliner stick and have done research all yesterday and today trying to find out if these items are safe. They are currently unopened and can be returned if not, thus why I am asking this question. I need make up for a get together and I don't feel comfortable using something that could make me sick or cause a reaction. I have never had an issue before (that I know of) with any of my other make up products, including my mascara which I just found out yesterday contains wheat! :(

Does anyone here use Almay and Covergirl with no issues and what department store brands do you use and feel comfortable using on your skin?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I bought some Almay I-intense eye shadow yesterday as well as some Covergirl Perfect Point eyeliner stick and have done research all yesterday and today trying to find out if these items are safe. They are currently unopened and can be returned if not, thus why I am asking this question. I need make up for a get together and I don't feel comfortable using something that could make me sick or cause a reaction. I have never had an issue before (that I know of) with any of my other make up products, including my mascara which I just found out yesterday contains wheat! :(

Does anyone here use Almay and Covergirl with no issues and what department store brands do you use and feel comfortable using on your skin?

Welcome to the forum! I don't use either of the products you mention although I do use some Cover Girl powder and Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. I'm basically using the same products I did before I went gluten-free and haven't had a problem with them. Now lipstick can be ingested so I threw out a good bit of it.

Out of curiosity, what mascara are you using that contains wheat?

mindbodysoul Newbie

Welcome to the forum! I don't use either of the products you mention although I do use some Cover Girl powder and Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. I'm basically using the same products I did before I went gluten-free and haven't had a problem with them. Now lipstick can be ingested so I threw out a good bit of it.

Out of curiosity, what mascara are you using that contains wheat?

Thank you for the welcome! :)

The mascara I have been using is 100% Pure mascara in black tea. I have noticed that sometimes after I take my make up off that my eyes will water when I am sleeping and become puffy, this is rare but it has happened before in the past... I always used to think it was allergies in the air but perhaps it's a reaction to the wheat in the mascara. I plan on tossing it out even though it's rare that my eyes would react. I contacted the company and they said they will look into making a gluten free mascara, which makes me happy but I'm now without mascara once again!

I went to the store and bought some eye liner from Maybelline, I read a post about their eye liner being gluten free (however it was from 2009)... the ingredients to me look OK but I'm still wary. Trying to find gluten-free make up is such a pain...

sa1937 Community Regular

It is difficult to decipher the ingredients in cosmetics and personal care products. And we may have a reaction to most anything even if it has nothing to do with gluten. Ingredients may change at any time.

mindbodysoul Newbie

I contacted Almay and Maybelline asking if their products were gluten free. Maybelline got back to me regarding their Expert Wear eye shadows and told me that their eye shadow was in fact gluten free. I'm very happy to find that out. :)

I went ahead and used the Almay eye shadow as of right now, I'm not showing signs of a reaction but for me it takes time.

lindalee Enthusiast

Do you know what Mabeline or drug store lipsticks are gluten free? I prefer the reds.

Thanks,

Linda Lee

• 3 months later...
TLK879 Apprentice

Hi. I was wondering if you ever got a response back from Almay. I have been using the Almay intense i-color eyeliner and eyeshadow for years and I love the colors. But, if they have gluten and are adding to my reactions I don't want to keep using them. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

I use Afterglow cosmetics. All organic and ALL gluten free made in a gluten free facility by a family of celiacs. This is awesome make-up. It's a little expensive but well worth it.

Archived