Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Waiting Forever For Test Results

3 posts in this topic

I have had terrible, debilitating stomach problems for a couple of years now. I've had loads of blood tests. One turned up that i have Pernicious Anaemia, and the doc said I would feel fine once I started B12 shots and Folic Acid pills. I've been getting steadily worse - both stomach related and general health.

Eventually my doc referred me to the GI unit at the local hospital. I had blood tests taken - for what I don't know. Brittish health care may be free, but it's not the best. I waited at least two months for the blood results, and actually never got them - but I did get called in for an endoscopy. I wasn't worried until I was informed, once I had the tube down my throat, that they were taking a biospy. It's hard to ask questions under these circumstances. I went to my doctor for my results - surprise surprise - they weren't in. I did manage to find out there was an anti-body for celiac found in my blood terst. Should I assume I have celiac disease until the doctors finally get their act together, or is there a good chance I don't have it?

All I know is that I feel really ill, and also have a blistering rash which could be that DH.

Any advice on how to cope with the uncertainty would be really great. I can't get my head round going gluten free until I have a diagnosos. I don't know how I'll manage even if I do have it - also if I don't have celiac, what else could they be analysing a biopsy for?

Hope that wasn't too rambling - thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Ads by Google:

Sorry to hear you have to wait so long. It's so hard not knowing. however, if you have already had the blood work done, and you have had the biopsy done, there is no harm in strating the gluten-free diet and seeing if you notice any difference. You may know before the Dr gets back to you just based on your symptoms. I notice improvements within about a week after going gluten-free. youmay be suprised how well you will feel.

Hope all goes well

They should have told you ahead of time that they might be taking a biopsy. This would have been less stressful for you. I was asleep for my endoscopy, so I wouldn't have known anyhow, but the first time the doctor did not biopsy, and the second time I made sure she was going to biopsy.

If your blood test was positive for antibodies and you already had the biopsy done, then Laura is right, you should try the diet. It won't hurt you, and it may just be the answer to all your problems. It is not easy, but you could just tell yourself that you are just going to try it for a week or two and then it won't feel too bad. If you feel better then it will be easier to stick with it.

I would also try calling the doctor everyday for the results. Eventually they will have to give them to you. Sometimes the results are there, but until the doctor looks at them they just keep telling you that they don't have them yet. So bugging them daily may just put enough pressure on the doc to look at the tests. Good luck.

Looking forward to hearing the results or whether you are going to try the diet or not.

God bless,

Mariann :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• This salad of roasted beets, carrots and apples is perfect for fall. View the full article
    • I have to tell you that, about 3 years ago, I went to the International Celiac Disease Symposium.  The coffee cross-reactive myth was discussed as we were all consuming vast quantities of Starbucks coffee provided by the Sheraton.  Needless to say, it was good for a laugh.    
    • Yeah, I looked for real scientific studies on gluten cross activity and couldn't find any. I did read something about barely being found in instant coffee--so who knows.
    • Gluten Cross-reactive foods is some sort of odd internet myth.  It started with a company that wanted to sell bogus medical tests.  They have even admitted that the coffee thing isn't true - they used gluten contaminated instant coffee.  However, you have to look at the small print in a lot of nonsense in a large binder of stuff to find that fact.  I did it with one of their company reps.. anyway....   If coffee bothers you, it may just be that it is hard on your system.  Maybe you can get it back after some healing.  And it doesn't sound like you had much protein that week.   edit - just looked at the ingredients- that isn't just coffee - who knows what part of it bothered you?  ingredients on GMO Dark Roast Coffee, Chlorogenic Acid, Garcinia Cambogia 95%,Phaseolamin, Cassiolamine Green Tea 100:1 Extract, Ginseng 100:1 Extract, L-Carnitine with Chromium.
    • Thanks for pointing that out. I just learned about things that are cross reactive with gluten--that have a similar protein structure and the body reacts as if it is a gluten protein: the list of cross reactors includes: Eggs, coffee most other grains corn, potato, rice, yeast, chocolate coffee, corn, butter soy, eggplant, bell pepper and chili pepper and tomatoes. Son of a !!!! This explains a lot. I would be faithfully gluten-free and still have DH flare ups when I certain things. So I just ate sprouted rice with beans, fruit and oolong tea--and I was fine. Then last week I tried this weight loss coffee called SlimRoast which worked UNBELIVABLE (LOST 3 POUNDS IN 2 DAYS) I was eating potato soup with lots of chili paste and soon I noticed I was depressed, I couldn't focus and began to feel that crawling flesh thing I get when I know I have been glutened.  I did more research on how I could love my body and read about glutamine: "Glutamine is also a critical part of our digestive system. It is the primary nutrient for the cells of the intestinal lining where it helps regulate cellular reproduction. Through this mechanism, glutamine helps prevent and rebuild a leaky gut which is common in people with inflammatory and auto-immune conditions. For this reason glutamine supplementation has been shown to be very effective in individuals with ulcerative colitis, CELIAC DISEASE, Crohn's disease, & irritable bowel syndrome." So now have removed everything but the sprouted rice, back on fruit and beans and have added those things that are high in glutamine. Since I eat plant based I can't get glutamine from meat so lots of raw spinach beets parsley cabbage celery kale brussel sprouts and especially red cabbage --in salads and smoothies. So hopefully I am on the mend--miss my weight loss coffee but its not worth getting sick over.     
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    IPS Support