8 replies to this topic

#1 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:30 AM

So, it came out yesterday in a phone convo that my mother is planning on a gluten-free trial (no, she hasn't been tested and is avoiding it) Christmas week when she visits us.

I tried pointing out that when she eats out she'll mess it up...didn't register.

She also informed me she's drinking lemon juice and it makes her back pain go away.

How can a woman with two degrees be this silly?

So then I started telling her that going gluten-free can be rough - temporary or permanent intolerances. She told me to stop because she didn't want to know.

I summed it up by saying that I won't preach about going gluten-free to anyone - but I will say that if you get sick enough, you'll do whatever needs to be done. And if she keeps it up, and is Celiac, she may end up with a super-leaky gut and unable to eat ANYTHING.

I swear sometimes I could beat her with a stick.

That said, my Mom is my best friend. We talk every day. So, no I won't beat her but she'll know I want to.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

Maybe she's thinking that since you are gluten free it'll be easier to eat gluten free while she's with you. If she DOES have an intolerance, even a week of gluten free will make her feel better, and then she will KNOW. And you can help her with the diet. You could also see if the mods can delete this thread first :lol: , then have her join our group.

I looked up lemon juice and joint pain and found that there IS something to it. Here's an article from Livestrong.com about it:

http://www.livestron...ain-with-lemon/

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

Maybe she's thinking that since you are gluten free it'll be easier to eat gluten free while she's with you. If she DOES have an intolerance, even a week of gluten free will make her feel better, and then she will KNOW. And you can help her with the diet. You could also see if the mods can delete this thread first :lol: , then have her join our group.

I looked up lemon juice and joint pain and found that there IS something to it. Here's an article from Livestrong.com about it:

http://www.livestron...ain-with-lemon/

She's probably already lurking.

And she doesn't have gout. I don't know if she has a gluten problem, but I know it's not gout.

I know logically she's right to try it when it's easy but I know she'll want to eat every bit of Mexican food in town, too. And when I tell her those green chile enchiladas aren't gluten-free she won't care (ok, I struggled with that too but I really thought they were ok).

I want her to get tested first, that's why I'm upset, honestly.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

She's probably going to do her version of gluten-free for a week. At the end of the week, if she doesn't feel a vast improvement, she will say, "see? Gluten isn't the issue.". I believe she may be my mother's identical twin sister we didn't know about! :P

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

Like Kareng, I don't believe she really intends to be gluten free. She will claim to be gluten free because you are cooking gluten free, but I guarantee there will be gluten in there somewhere which will keep her from feeling better.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

If she had a test saying there's a problem, she'd stick to it.

But without, I don't know.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#7 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

Other than the spinal stenosis, bone loss, fibroids& cysts, recurring kidney infections and holes in my brain, I never had a test saying there was "a gluten problem." :rolleyes: This testing thing can be over rated, sometimes ;)

That is nice of her that she wants to eat gluten free with you at your house. Baby steps, baby steps.... B)

#8 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

If drinking lemon juice is helping her back pain, I would suggest that she would consider investigating whither or not she has gallbladder issues. Drinking lemon juice DID help my back pain (upper back by shoulder blades) from gallbladder issues. I would like to add it did not eliminate my gallbladder issues, just postponed the inevitable.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:36 PM

If drinking lemon juice is helping her back pain, I would suggest that she would consider investigating whither or not she has gallbladder issues. Drinking lemon juice DID help my back pain (upper back by shoulder blades) from gallbladder issues. I would like to add it did not eliminate my gallbladder issues, just postponed the inevitable.

She did mention she thought it might be an organ - but I have no idea if that was because she read it or experienced it.

The question is....WHY does it hurt???

And I know the testing is pointless to some but I really think in this case it would be useful. She does things for a while and then decides it doesn't solve everything and then quits. She's great at doing something if it works...but most of us don't experience instant and total relief. I'm concerned she has a serious issue with gluten, and without testing to prove the problem, may give up a gluten-free lifestyle. Then again, tests may be negative, who knows...

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: