Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

So, This Week Will Be Interesting...

9 posts in this topic

So, it came out yesterday in a phone convo that my mother is planning on a gluten-free trial (no, she hasn't been tested and is avoiding it) Christmas week when she visits us.

I tried pointing out that when she eats out she'll mess it up...didn't register.

She also informed me she's drinking lemon juice and it makes her back pain go away.

How can a woman with two degrees be this silly?

So then I started telling her that going gluten-free can be rough - temporary or permanent intolerances. She told me to stop because she didn't want to know.

I summed it up by saying that I won't preach about going gluten-free to anyone - but I will say that if you get sick enough, you'll do whatever needs to be done. And if she keeps it up, and is Celiac, she may end up with a super-leaky gut and unable to eat ANYTHING.

I swear sometimes I could beat her with a stick.

That said, my Mom is my best friend. We talk every day. So, no I won't beat her but she'll know I want to.

Ads by Google:

Maybe she's thinking that since you are gluten free it'll be easier to eat gluten free while she's with you. If she DOES have an intolerance, even a week of gluten free will make her feel better, and then she will KNOW. And you can help her with the diet. You could also see if the mods can delete this thread first :lol: , then have her join our group.

I looked up lemon juice and joint pain and found that there IS something to it. Here's an article from Livestrong.com about it:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/10620-treat-joint-pain-with-lemon/

Maybe she's thinking that since you are gluten free it'll be easier to eat gluten free while she's with you. If she DOES have an intolerance, even a week of gluten free will make her feel better, and then she will KNOW. And you can help her with the diet. You could also see if the mods can delete this thread first :lol: , then have her join our group.

I looked up lemon juice and joint pain and found that there IS something to it. Here's an article from Livestrong.com about it:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/10620-treat-joint-pain-with-lemon/

She's probably already lurking.

And she doesn't have gout. I don't know if she has a gluten problem, but I know it's not gout.

I know logically she's right to try it when it's easy but I know she'll want to eat every bit of Mexican food in town, too. And when I tell her those green chile enchiladas aren't gluten-free she won't care (ok, I struggled with that too but I really thought they were ok).

I want her to get tested first, that's why I'm upset, honestly.

She's probably going to do her version of gluten-free for a week. At the end of the week, if she doesn't feel a vast improvement, she will say, "see? Gluten isn't the issue.". I believe she may be my mother's identical twin sister we didn't know about! :P

Like Kareng, I don't believe she really intends to be gluten free. She will claim to be gluten free because you are cooking gluten free, but I guarantee there will be gluten in there somewhere which will keep her from feeling better.

If she had a test saying there's a problem, she'd stick to it.

But without, I don't know.

Other than the spinal stenosis, bone loss, fibroids& cysts, recurring kidney infections and holes in my brain, I never had a test saying there was "a gluten problem." :rolleyes: This testing thing can be over rated, sometimes ;)

That is nice of her that she wants to eat gluten free with you at your house. Baby steps, baby steps.... B)

If drinking lemon juice is helping her back pain, I would suggest that she would consider investigating whither or not she has gallbladder issues. Drinking lemon juice DID help my back pain (upper back by shoulder blades) from gallbladder issues. I would like to add it did not eliminate my gallbladder issues, just postponed the inevitable.

If drinking lemon juice is helping her back pain, I would suggest that she would consider investigating whither or not she has gallbladder issues. Drinking lemon juice DID help my back pain (upper back by shoulder blades) from gallbladder issues. I would like to add it did not eliminate my gallbladder issues, just postponed the inevitable.

She did mention she thought it might be an organ - but I have no idea if that was because she read it or experienced it.

The question is....WHY does it hurt???

And I know the testing is pointless to some but I really think in this case it would be useful. She does things for a while and then decides it doesn't solve everything and then quits. She's great at doing something if it works...but most of us don't experience instant and total relief. I'm concerned she has a serious issue with gluten, and without testing to prove the problem, may give up a gluten-free lifestyle. Then again, tests may be negative, who knows...