20 replies to this topic

#1 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

We went to a cocktail party w/ nibbles last night and our neighbor, who made all the food, was happy to tell me that everything was gluten free... AND IT WAS!! She's a really good cook and "gets" the gluten-free and cross contamination issue so I wasn't at all skeptical about eating everything. She served spicy cold shrimp, a delicious artichoke salad w/ white beans in it, and veggie and salmon sushi rolls that she made sure were gluten-free and had no soy sauce in them. I couldn't eat the cheesecake or gingerbread, but could eat some yummy peanut brittle. What a joy to be able to eat (almost) everything and not worry at all. It just illustrated to me, once again, how many delicious foods are available to us!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

We went to a cocktail party w/ nibbles last night and our neighbor, who made all the food, was happy to tell me that everything was gluten free... AND IT WAS!! She's a really good cook and "gets" the gluten-free and cross contamination issue so I wasn't at all skeptical about eating everything. She served spicy cold shrimp, a delicious artichoke salad w/ white beans in it, and veggie and salmon sushi rolls that she made sure were gluten-free and had no soy sauce in them. I couldn't eat the cheesecake or gingerbread, but could eat some yummy peanut brittle. What a joy to be able to eat (almost) everything and not worry at all. It just illustrated to me, once again, how many delicious foods are available to us!!

Sounds delicious (drool, drool :) ) and it was very gracious of your hostess to serve gluten-free goodies to you! :)

There are many on here who would say "but she made them in her non-gluten-free kitchen!!" and worry about the CC factor (and perhaps rightfully so--as it can be a problem--& I've run into myself :rolleyes: )

HOWEVER-- your experience tells us that this woman did an excellent job and it is was safe for you to dine at her home without any issues. And that is good news. :)

She apparently "GETS IT!!" yaaaay!!

Fantastic! Happy holidays to you!
IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

OK...we'll start the count now. That's 1 person who gets it! Only about 10 million more needed and we may be home free! :P

You should not post the menu without sharing, though! Sounds delicious. And I am happy and thrilled you lived to tell us about it.

#4 Jenny (AZ via TX)

Jenny (AZ via TX)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

What a sweet neighbor you have! I'm so happy you were able to eat what you want and enjoy yourself without worry.
Jenny
(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008
Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08
Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08
Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

#5 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

OK...we'll start the count now. That's 1 person who gets it! Only about 10 million more needed and we may be home free! :P

You should not post the menu without sharing, though! Sounds delicious. And I am happy and thrilled you lived to tell us about it.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I wrote it. So many people don't get it and can and do make our lives miserable. When someone does get it, we need to give them kudos!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#6 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

That is awesome. It is heartwarming to read stories like this. In our world it unfortunately seems to be an exception when it should be the rule.

This is my first gluten-free Christmas and we are going to my inlaws for it. My husband called his mom about my requirements, cross contamination and so on and she is so eager to provide me with something great and safe. DH told her we would be in the kitchen during cooking and would need to read any labels. Rather than doing a turkey with stuffing she is cooking a ham and is roasting potatoes. She also bought meat and such for me to prepare myself if I feel safer doing that. Her dessert, however, contains gluten BUT I am prepared with dessert of my own. DH also reminded them that I do not want to be pitied or fussed over. The fact that my MIL is trying so hard makes me smile. :)

So, although you won't be reading this, thanks to those out there like the above-mentioned neighbour and my MIL who try their best to understand and make Christmas a little easier for us. We are grateful.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

Thats 2 now!!! I sure hope forum members will keep adding to this thread and the numbers! Here is number 3:
My ex-MIL (yes, ex but she is like a second mum :D ) had us for early xmas dinner week before last. We not only had the best chicken and salad dinner but she also gave me a gift of gluten-free soap (lemon myrtle - yum!) and chap stick. She was so keen to get it 'right' without any fuss. So I proudly and adoringly give her position number 3!!

#8 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

I think a big part of successful gluten-free home cooking is cooking a Gluten-Free menu - no flour flying through the air, etc.

So, if someone told me the whole menu was Gluten-Free (and I knew they didn't mess up ingredients) I'd be pretty confident.

My neighbor made me Betty Crocker gluten-free cookies and I was fine with it. I dont know if flour was flying around or not, or if she had gluten-free cooking savvy. But it was very, very nice of her.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#9 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

That's great! I have been watching some of those wedding shows (not sure why) and am always astounded at how much of the food contains gluten. So I went looking at catering sites in this area to see if anyone offers gluten-free stuff. None do. And even with what they do offer, much of it contains gluten. Crackers with the cheese. Pita with the hummus. Stuff like that. Thankfully my daughter is only 13 now. Perhaps by the time she gets married (if she chooses to), the offerings will be better.

#10 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

I love reading the "get it" stories. I though I found someone who understood, but alas not really. I was at a restaurant with a new group of friends, and one of the girls and I were talking about vegetarian foods. I said that I used to love seitan but can't eat it anymore since I was diagnosed. She said she couldn't have it either because she was gluten intolerant. We were both pretty astounded by having this in common, but then she began to eat a chicken wing. We were at a non-gluten friendly restaurant (I was just drinking water), and I'm sure the sauce on her dish was filled with gluten. :huh: Oh well.

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#11 mindbodysoul

mindbodysoul

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:46 PM

That is awesome that she took the time to make sure everything was safe! I love it when people are willing to learn or understand everything about being gluten free, those who already understand it are even better. We went out yesterday for a Christmas dinner and no one could understand how serious it was that we avoided unsafe places. One person suggested a burger joint and they couldn't understand anything about cross contamination and the aftermath we get after eating it, it's very frustrating. Even with the holidays coming up, I'm worried about my boyfriends parents house even though she knows we're both gluten-free... she has given him meatballs before that contained wheat, she tries... but she doesn't quite get it completely. Needless to say, I'll probably need to bring food for that gathering.
* - Gluten free since the early summer of 2011. (Gluten intolerant. Mother is intolerant, brother is allergic to wheat.)
* - Boyfriend has symptoms of Celiac Disease and is allergic to wheat. Gluten-free since mid-late summer of 2011. (Symptoms have since been resolved)
* - Peanut free since December 2011. (Bad reaction to pistachios, slight reaction to almonds)
* - Trying to go diary free (possibly sensitive, runs in family) and limit sugar intake.

#12 gfpirate

gfpirate

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:02 AM

It sure is awesome! My neighbors once had my family over for dinner, and they, being aware of my Celiac, went all out to make sure everything was gluten-free!
Being a French theme, we had beef bourguignon, with which they used corn starch to thicken instead of flour, and it was DELICIOUS! We were there while she was actually cooking the dish, so I was able to discreetly keep an eye out for CC B) She was very thorough and I had no symptoms at all... and I'm pretty sensitive!
For dessert they served crepes (made beforehand as to not CC- they sure knew what they were doing!), and while they weren't gluten-free, the daughter brought me my very own ice cream sundae, served in a fancy dish with lots of nice toppings, and she let me read the labels on everything before I ate it! It was such a pleasant surprise that they accommodated me, and was by far the best gluten-free outside of home dining experience I've ever had!
Every mistake I've made leaves a scar that burns every day
Yet still I carry on.
-Asking Alexandria

#13 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:42 AM

your neighbour should perhaps give some hostessing tips to Martha Stewart ;)

#14 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:05 PM

It sure is awesome! My neighbors once had my family over for dinner, and they, being aware of my Celiac, went all out to make sure everything was gluten-free!
Being a French theme, we had beef bourguignon, with which they used corn starch to thicken instead of flour, and it was DELICIOUS! We were there while she was actually cooking the dish, so I was able to discreetly keep an eye out for CC B) She was very thorough and I had no symptoms at all... and I'm pretty sensitive!
For dessert they served crepes (made beforehand as to not CC- they sure knew what they were doing!), and while they weren't gluten-free, the daughter brought me my very own ice cream sundae, served in a fancy dish with lots of nice toppings, and she let me read the labels on everything before I ate it! It was such a pleasant surprise that they accommodated me, and was by far the best gluten-free outside of home dining experience I've ever had!

Beef Bourguignon?????? Oh my! This is something I have wanted to make ever since seeing "Julie and Julia"! It really is easy to adapt for gluten-free but I haven't had the time recently to attempt it. Maybe during the next snowstorm would be a good time.

The next time your neighbors get this creative with gluten-free cooking, I want the address and time! Ha, Ha! :D

#15 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

Beef Bourguignon?????? Oh my! This is something I have wanted to make ever since seeing "Julie and Julia"! It really is easy to adapt for gluten-free but I haven't had the time recently to attempt it. Maybe during the next snowstorm would be a good time.

The next time your neighbors get this creative with gluten-free cooking, I want the address and time! Ha, Ha! :D

Boeuf Bourguignon was the very first Julia Child recipe I ever made. And if you don't make it her way it doesn't taste as good :P Haven't tried the gluten-free version.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009