This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Awesome Is It When People "get" It?

luvs2eat

luvs2eat Collaborator

We went to a cocktail party w/ nibbles last night and our neighbor, who made all the food, was happy to tell me that everything was gluten free... AND IT WAS!! She's a really good cook and "gets" the gluten-free and cross contamination issue so I wasn't at all skeptical about eating everything. She served spicy cold shrimp, a delicious artichoke salad w/ white beans in it, and veggie and salmon sushi rolls that she made sure were gluten-free and had no soy sauce in them. I couldn't eat the cheesecake or gingerbread, but could eat some yummy peanut brittle. What a joy to be able to eat (almost) everything and not worry at all. It just illustrated to me, once again, how many delicious foods are available to us!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

We went to a cocktail party w/ nibbles last night and our neighbor, who made all the food, was happy to tell me that everything was gluten free... AND IT WAS!! She's a really good cook and "gets" the gluten-free and cross contamination issue so I wasn't at all skeptical about eating everything. She served spicy cold shrimp, a delicious artichoke salad w/ white beans in it, and veggie and salmon sushi rolls that she made sure were gluten-free and had no soy sauce in them. I couldn't eat the cheesecake or gingerbread, but could eat some yummy peanut brittle. What a joy to be able to eat (almost) everything and not worry at all. It just illustrated to me, once again, how many delicious foods are available to us!!

Sounds delicious (drool, drool :) ) and it was very gracious of your hostess to serve gluten-free goodies to you! :)

There are many on here who would say "but she made them in her non-gluten-free kitchen!!" and worry about the CC factor (and perhaps rightfully so--as it can be a problem--& I've run into myself :rolleyes: )

HOWEVER-- your experience tells us that this woman did an excellent job and it is was safe for you to dine at her home without any issues. And that is good news. :)

She apparently "GETS IT!!" yaaaay!!

Fantastic! Happy holidays to you!

IH

Gemini Experienced

OK...we'll start the count now. That's 1 person who gets it! Only about 10 million more needed and we may be home free! :P

You should not post the menu without sharing, though! Sounds delicious. And I am happy and thrilled you lived to tell us about it.

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

What a sweet neighbor you have! I'm so happy you were able to eat what you want and enjoy yourself without worry.

luvs2eat Collaborator

OK...we'll start the count now. That's 1 person who gets it! Only about 10 million more needed and we may be home free! :P

You should not post the menu without sharing, though! Sounds delicious. And I am happy and thrilled you lived to tell us about it.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I wrote it. So many people don't get it and can and do make our lives miserable. When someone does get it, we need to give them kudos!!

love2travel Mentor

That is awesome. It is heartwarming to read stories like this. In our world it unfortunately seems to be an exception when it should be the rule.

This is my first gluten-free Christmas and we are going to my inlaws for it. My husband called his mom about my requirements, cross contamination and so on and she is so eager to provide me with something great and safe. DH told her we would be in the kitchen during cooking and would need to read any labels. Rather than doing a turkey with stuffing she is cooking a ham and is roasting potatoes. She also bought meat and such for me to prepare myself if I feel safer doing that. Her dessert, however, contains gluten BUT I am prepared with dessert of my own. DH also reminded them that I do not want to be pitied or fussed over. The fact that my MIL is trying so hard makes me smile. :)

So, although you won't be reading this, thanks to those out there like the above-mentioned neighbour and my MIL who try their best to understand and make Christmas a little easier for us. We are grateful.

Di2011 Enthusiast

Thats 2 now!!! I sure hope forum members will keep adding to this thread and the numbers! Here is number 3:

My ex-MIL (yes, ex but she is like a second mum :D ) had us for early xmas dinner week before last. We not only had the best chicken and salad dinner but she also gave me a gift of gluten-free soap (lemon myrtle - yum!) and chap stick. She was so keen to get it 'right' without any fuss. So I proudly and adoringly give her position number 3!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I think a big part of successful gluten-free home cooking is cooking a Gluten-Free menu - no flour flying through the air, etc.

So, if someone told me the whole menu was Gluten-Free (and I knew they didn't mess up ingredients) I'd be pretty confident.

My neighbor made me Betty Crocker gluten-free cookies and I was fine with it. I dont know if flour was flying around or not, or if she had gluten-free cooking savvy. But it was very, very nice of her.

Juliebove Rising Star

That's great! I have been watching some of those wedding shows (not sure why) and am always astounded at how much of the food contains gluten. So I went looking at catering sites in this area to see if anyone offers gluten-free stuff. None do. And even with what they do offer, much of it contains gluten. Crackers with the cheese. Pita with the hummus. Stuff like that. Thankfully my daughter is only 13 now. Perhaps by the time she gets married (if she chooses to), the offerings will be better.

WinterSong Community Regular

I love reading the "get it" stories. I though I found someone who understood, but alas not really. I was at a restaurant with a new group of friends, and one of the girls and I were talking about vegetarian foods. I said that I used to love seitan but can't eat it anymore since I was diagnosed. She said she couldn't have it either because she was gluten intolerant. We were both pretty astounded by having this in common, but then she began to eat a chicken wing. We were at a non-gluten friendly restaurant (I was just drinking water), and I'm sure the sauce on her dish was filled with gluten. :huh: Oh well.

mindbodysoul Newbie

That is awesome that she took the time to make sure everything was safe! I love it when people are willing to learn or understand everything about being gluten free, those who already understand it are even better. We went out yesterday for a Christmas dinner and no one could understand how serious it was that we avoided unsafe places. One person suggested a burger joint and they couldn't understand anything about cross contamination and the aftermath we get after eating it, it's very frustrating. Even with the holidays coming up, I'm worried about my boyfriends parents house even though she knows we're both gluten-free... she has given him meatballs before that contained wheat, she tries... but she doesn't quite get it completely. Needless to say, I'll probably need to bring food for that gathering.

gfpirate Rookie

It sure is awesome! My neighbors once had my family over for dinner, and they, being aware of my Celiac, went all out to make sure everything was gluten-free!

Being a French theme, we had beef bourguignon, with which they used corn starch to thicken instead of flour, and it was DELICIOUS! We were there while she was actually cooking the dish, so I was able to discreetly keep an eye out for CC B) She was very thorough and I had no symptoms at all... and I'm pretty sensitive!

For dessert they served crepes (made beforehand as to not CC- they sure knew what they were doing!), and while they weren't gluten-free, the daughter brought me my very own ice cream sundae, served in a fancy dish with lots of nice toppings, and she let me read the labels on everything before I ate it! It was such a pleasant surprise that they accommodated me, and was by far the best gluten-free outside of home dining experience I've ever had!

Reba32 Rookie

your neighbour should perhaps give some hostessing tips to Martha Stewart ;)

Gemini Experienced

It sure is awesome! My neighbors once had my family over for dinner, and they, being aware of my Celiac, went all out to make sure everything was gluten-free!

Being a French theme, we had beef bourguignon, with which they used corn starch to thicken instead of flour, and it was DELICIOUS! We were there while she was actually cooking the dish, so I was able to discreetly keep an eye out for CC B) She was very thorough and I had no symptoms at all... and I'm pretty sensitive!

For dessert they served crepes (made beforehand as to not CC- they sure knew what they were doing!), and while they weren't gluten-free, the daughter brought me my very own ice cream sundae, served in a fancy dish with lots of nice toppings, and she let me read the labels on everything before I ate it! It was such a pleasant surprise that they accommodated me, and was by far the best gluten-free outside of home dining experience I've ever had!

Beef Bourguignon?????? Oh my! This is something I have wanted to make ever since seeing "Julie and Julia"! It really is easy to adapt for gluten-free but I haven't had the time recently to attempt it. Maybe during the next snowstorm would be a good time.

The next time your neighbors get this creative with gluten-free cooking, I want the address and time! Ha, Ha! :D

mushroom Proficient

Beef Bourguignon?????? Oh my! This is something I have wanted to make ever since seeing "Julie and Julia"! It really is easy to adapt for gluten-free but I haven't had the time recently to attempt it. Maybe during the next snowstorm would be a good time.

The next time your neighbors get this creative with gluten-free cooking, I want the address and time! Ha, Ha! :D

Boeuf Bourguignon was the very first Julia Child recipe I ever made. And if you don't make it her way it doesn't taste as good :P Haven't tried the gluten-free version.

love2travel Mentor

I love BB. My favourite is Thomas Keller's French Laundry version. I am so thankful that it can be so easily made gluten free, just as so many classic French dishes can.

What a kind neighbour to make such a wondrous dish.

Oh, man. Here I go again - it's always food with me! :rolleyes:

IrishHeart Veteran

your neighbour should perhaps give some hostessing tips to Martha Stewart ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: good one, Reba!!

IrishHeart Veteran

Boeuf Bourguignon was the very first Julia Child recipe I ever made. And if you don't make it her way it doesn't taste as good :P Haven't tried the gluten-free version.

Julia is the best.

I am the culinary daredevil that I am because of her. I watched her on black and white TV (showing my age here) back in Boston on PBS when I was a kiddo. I became a "mini-chef" back then.

Here's a thought for you all --since the OP obviously loves to eat :) and the rest of you seem to share this enthusiasm.

Julia said:

"People who are not interested in food always seem rather dry and unloving and don't have a real gusto for life."

;)

and when asked what did she attribute to her long life?, she stated:

"Beef and gin."

:)

Gotta love Julia. B)

Celtic Queen Explorer

One of my best friends in the entire world gets it. In the past she's heard me moaning about I wish we had a Trader Joes around here. She went on a trip recently and brought me back a whole grocery sack of gluten free goodies from Trader Joes. I was so happy I almost cried. That's a true friend.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Julia is the best.

I am the culinary daredevil that I am because of her. I watched her on black and white TV (showing my age here) back in Boston on PBS when I was a kiddo. I became a "mini-chef" back then.

Here's a thought for you all --since the OP obviously loves to eat :) and the rest of you seem to share this enthusiasm.

Julia said:

"People who are not interested in food always seem rather dry and unloving and don't have a real gusto for life."

;)

and when asked what did she attribute to her long life?, she stated:

"Beef and gin."

:)

Gotta love Julia. B)

I used to watch her when I was little. Julia Child and Wonder Woman. My parents were quite amused. My son likes to watch her too, especially the show she did on lobsters (I have the DVD).

mamabear272 Explorer

My friends get it! Last Sunday we had our "chosen family" Christmas get together. The hostess made sure that there was plenty for me to eat and the things she questioned, she kept the packaging for so I could check. I had explained to her previously that not saying "contains wheat" doesn't necessarily mean it's gluten-free (that we have to read the ingredients). She also made sure that she had separate spoons for the gluten-free dip from the dip I couldn't have. She also went out of her way to make sure she bought gluten-free things. Like, went to several stores looking for gluten-free versions of things. Another friend made a potato salad (I know it's a summer food but she knows the recipe is gluten-free) that she knows I can have.

Now on to my blood family. Most of them do NOT get it! My sister never asks if I can have certain things, doesn't keep packaging and really doesn't concern herself with whether or not I can eat it. I called her yesterday to see what we were having for Christmas Eve. "Well I am making Swedish meatballs and BBQ meatballs." I told her that I was planning on bringing grape jelly meatballs (FYI, the turkey meatballs from Aldi are gluten-free). She said she would take the BBQ meatballs back then and we'd have my jelly meatballs. There are things that I'll be able to eat but only by virtue that they are naturally gluten-free. No one calls or asks how they can modify things. It's actually pretty easy to make modifications to things. My mom is ok about making gluten-free things but I have to buy the gluten-free ingredients and take them to her but she has no problem going out of her way to buy specific things for my brother-in-law. Not that he has specific dietary needs, just that he likes them. :blink:

And that's why I call my friends chosen family! :D

Archived