20 replies to this topic

#16 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:29 PM

I love BB. My favourite is Thomas Keller's French Laundry version. I am so thankful that it can be so easily made gluten free, just as so many classic French dishes can.

What a kind neighbour to make such a wondrous dish.

Oh, man. Here I go again - it's always food with me! :rolleyes:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

your neighbour should perhaps give some hostessing tips to Martha Stewart ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: good one, Reba!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

Boeuf Bourguignon was the very first Julia Child recipe I ever made. And if you don't make it her way it doesn't taste as good :P Haven't tried the gluten-free version.

Julia is the best.
I am the culinary daredevil that I am because of her. I watched her on black and white TV (showing my age here) back in Boston on PBS when I was a kiddo. I became a "mini-chef" back then.

Here's a thought for you all --since the OP obviously loves to eat :) and the rest of you seem to share this enthusiasm.

Julia said:

"People who are not interested in food always seem rather dry and unloving and don't have a real gusto for life."
;)

and when asked what did she attribute to her long life?, she stated:

"Beef and gin."

:)

Gotta love Julia. B)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:36 PM

One of my best friends in the entire world gets it. In the past she's heard me moaning about I wish we had a Trader Joes around here. She went on a trip recently and brought me back a whole grocery sack of gluten free goodies from Trader Joes. I was so happy I almost cried. That's a true friend.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#20 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

Julia is the best.
I am the culinary daredevil that I am because of her. I watched her on black and white TV (showing my age here) back in Boston on PBS when I was a kiddo. I became a "mini-chef" back then.

Here's a thought for you all --since the OP obviously loves to eat :) and the rest of you seem to share this enthusiasm.

Julia said:

"People who are not interested in food always seem rather dry and unloving and don't have a real gusto for life."
;)

and when asked what did she attribute to her long life?, she stated:

"Beef and gin."

:)

Gotta love Julia. B)

I used to watch her when I was little. Julia Child and Wonder Woman. My parents were quite amused. My son likes to watch her too, especially the show she did on lobsters (I have the DVD).
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#21 mamabear272

mamabear272

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:16 AM

My friends get it! Last Sunday we had our "chosen family" Christmas get together. The hostess made sure that there was plenty for me to eat and the things she questioned, she kept the packaging for so I could check. I had explained to her previously that not saying "contains wheat" doesn't necessarily mean it's gluten-free (that we have to read the ingredients). She also made sure that she had separate spoons for the gluten-free dip from the dip I couldn't have. She also went out of her way to make sure she bought gluten-free things. Like, went to several stores looking for gluten-free versions of things. Another friend made a potato salad (I know it's a summer food but she knows the recipe is gluten-free) that she knows I can have.

Now on to my blood family. Most of them do NOT get it! My sister never asks if I can have certain things, doesn't keep packaging and really doesn't concern herself with whether or not I can eat it. I called her yesterday to see what we were having for Christmas Eve. "Well I am making Swedish meatballs and BBQ meatballs." I told her that I was planning on bringing grape jelly meatballs (FYI, the turkey meatballs from Aldi are gluten-free). She said she would take the BBQ meatballs back then and we'd have my jelly meatballs. There are things that I'll be able to eat but only by virtue that they are naturally gluten-free. No one calls or asks how they can modify things. It's actually pretty easy to make modifications to things. My mom is ok about making gluten-free things but I have to buy the gluten-free ingredients and take them to her but she has no problem going out of her way to buy specific things for my brother-in-law. Not that he has specific dietary needs, just that he likes them. :blink:

And that's why I call my friends chosen family! :D

Molly
dx: celiac sprue 6/7/2011 via blood test and biopsy
gluten-free: 6/7/2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: