4 replies to this topic

#1 GFNewbie2011

GFNewbie2011

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

I have been having symptoms related to those of a gluten allergy for a few years now...and have just linked them to gluten recently. The main issue is that about 30 minutes or so after eating (what appears to be foods with gluten) I have to run to the bathroom immediately with diarrhea. So much so, that sometimes I am worried if I will make it or not. This is accompanied with strong stomach cramps, and often a general 'unwell' feeling after eating. When I eliminated gluten from my diet these problems went away. Shortly after that (about 2 weeks) I started reintroducing gluten to be prepared for blood testing. When I did this, my symptoms returned.

Today I was eating chips that appeared to be gluten free - they were made with corn and brown rice - however, I had my normal mad bathroom dash shortly after eating this. This confused me, so I started doing research about brown rice, and found the lectin connection.

Does anyone know the difference between the symptoms of a gluten allergy and a lectin allergy/how to tell the difference? Are their tests for a lectin allergy?

I have been battling with trying to figure this thing out for a long time and keep getting discouraged because everything turns back negative (including colonoscopy and celiac blood testing- which is good but very frustrating not knowing the cause)

Any information you could provide would be very greatly appreciated...Thank you so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

I have been having symptoms related to those of a gluten allergy for a few years now...and have just linked them to gluten recently. The main issue is that about 30 minutes or so after eating (what appears to be foods with gluten) I have to run to the bathroom immediately with diarrhea. So much so, that sometimes I am worried if I will make it or not. This is accompanied with strong stomach cramps, and often a general 'unwell' feeling after eating. When I eliminated gluten from my diet these problems went away. Shortly after that (about 2 weeks) I started reintroducing gluten to be prepared for blood testing. When I did this, my symptoms returned.

Today I was eating chips that appeared to be gluten free - they were made with corn and brown rice - however, I had my normal mad bathroom dash shortly after eating this. This confused me, so I started doing research about brown rice, and found the lectin connection.

Does anyone know the difference between the symptoms of a gluten allergy and a lectin allergy/how to tell the difference? Are their tests for a lectin allergy?

I have been battling with trying to figure this thing out for a long time and keep getting discouraged because everything turns back negative (including colonoscopy and celiac blood testing- which is good but very frustrating not knowing the cause)

Any information you could provide would be very greatly appreciated...Thank you so much!

Welcome to the Forum!

Have you had an Endoscopy Test (mouth down)? Post your Celiac Blood Panel here and we have people who can help you interpret. Take one issue on at a time, say gluten and later, if unresolved advance to other issues.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 GFNewbie2011

GFNewbie2011

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

Have you had an Endoscopy Test (mouth down)? Post your Celiac Blood Panel here and we have people who can help you interpret. Take one issue on at a time, say gluten and later, if unresolved advance to other issues.

Thank you! I have not had an Endoscopy yet, I just got the blood test results over the phone today. I have not received any paperwork for them yet. Do I need to request that?

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

Just a thought. The chips may have been made on shared equipment. To be sure you would have to call or e-mail the company.

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

I don't know of any blood tests for lectin reactions. You can eliminate lectins for a couple weeks by eating a restricted diet and see if you get better. This link has an elimination diet, plus links to more articles on lectins at the bottom.
http://tomsthird.blo...ation-diet.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: