This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Negative Blood Test?

ErikaG

ErikaG Newbie

I have been reading alot lately about the negative effects gluten can have on a person's health and it got me thinking about the gluten blood test I was given several years ago. So I have stomach issues, this is nothing new for me, they come and go, and sometimes they get worse and sometimes better. My symptoms range from heartburn, but not the acid reflux kind of heartburn, but more of a burning in the pit of my stomach. I also get bloated, gassy (burping alot), fatigue (but I have 4 children, so I have always put my tiredness on that), very loose stool, at times pain in my stomach, which has gone from pain on the left side a few years ago to pain on the right side. This got so bad a few months ago that I was convinced I had gallstones, but an ultrasound revealed no gallstones. After that I did a gallbladder flush and lots of beet juice and this helped for awhile, but it has been coming back lately. I had an endoscopy about 4 years ago, the doctor was looking for an ulcer or who knows what else, all looked fine except she said I had inflammation in my small intestines so she wanted to do a blood test for celiac disease. I had very little knowledge of this diagnosis at the time and did a little research, but waited for the results. When she called she said it was negative, but I never looked at the test myself to see my numbers to know if they were normal or barely normal or anything. Also from what I understand someone could have a sensitivity, but not have celiac disease? How is a sensitivity diagnosed? I am going to track down my blood work results so that I can submit my results and hopefully get a better idea and if I should look into this further because I am wonderging if I should have just taken the doctor's word for it???? I am a little confused and alot concerned since I still have symptoms and at this point it has been years of stomach problems:( Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Hi and welcome.

When you had your endoscopy and your doctor saw inflammation, do you know if she did a biopsy? It would be good if you get those results along with the blood work.

Gluten sensitivity is diagnosed by trying the diet for a couple months. If you feel better you can challenge by eating some gluten again. You know for sure if the symptoms come back. People who are gluten intolerant have normal blood tests, although its fine to get yours and post them. Sometimes doctors misread the results. Gluten sensitivity could cause all the problems you're experiencing.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

It's possible to have Celiac and have a negative blood test. When your scope and biopsies were done if they didn't take several samples the DX could have been missed.

It's also possible that you were sensitive to gluten, but hadn't yet developed Celiac disease at the time of testing?

If you've been eating gluten, now is the time to have another blood test, or scope to check for villi damage. If you've been off gluten those tests won't diagnose Celiac.

It's up to you whether you persue testing. You can go gluten-free on your own. If you feel better, I think you'll have your answer?

If having a diagnosis would help you stick to a gluten-free diet, if needed, ask for the testing. It also helps family members take it more seriously..and get testing too if needed.

Kristinade Rookie

Mine was negative, too---I tested last year and my GI said I was fine to have gluten. I just did the Dr. La Puma online Celiac screening and my score was 24, which is very high and puts me in the high risk for Celiac. GI is dumb,dumb,dumb. Kristina is smart,smart,smart.

It's possible to have Celiac and have a negative blood test. When your scope and biopsies were done if they didn't take several samples the DX could have been missed.

It's also possible that you were sensitive to gluten, but hadn't yet developed Celiac disease at the time of testing?

If you've been eating gluten, now is the time to have another blood test, or scope to check for villi damage. If you've been off gluten those tests won't diagnose Celiac.

It's up to you whether you persue testing. You can go gluten-free on your own. If you feel better, I think you'll have your answer?

If having a diagnosis would help you stick to a gluten-free diet, if needed, ask for the testing. It also helps family members take it more seriously..and get testing too if needed.

Archived