4 replies to this topic

#1 electrochel

electrochel

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:37 AM

Does any one here now much about Modified Starch as an ingredient in food and sauces? I have a booklet here from my Dietician in the local Hospital and it rules out Modified starch as being not gluten free. Yet i have had yoghurts and sauces which say Gluten free on them and contain modified starch in their ingredients list.... I'm really confused about this.

The sauce i have here is Birds Brandy Sauce which is a custard style accompaniment for cake, christmas puddings etc... Birds is the Brand that we have here in Ireland.

It states in my Celiac Society or Ireland book that Birds custard is gluten free but says nothing about Brandy Sauce by the same company.

If anyone could help that would be brilliant.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:30 AM

Modified starch can be a source of gluten, but is usually not. At least in North America, it is typically corn or tapioca.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 BabsV

BabsV

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:05 AM

Does this info from the Coeliac UK organization help?

http://www.coeliac.o...ergen-labelling

Can you call the manufacturer? When in doubt, that's what I try to do.

#4 Ellie84

Ellie84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

If a grain containing gluten was used, it has to be mentioned on the package like "modified starch" (wheat-). If not, then they can label it as "modified starch". It will be safe for coeliacs. I hope this answers your question.
27, F, from the beautiful area of Twente in the Netherlands. English is not my first language, so I apologize for any errors.

Symptoms started in 2007, but no link to celiac disease was found until 2009. I learned of celiac disease through the internet, my doctor never recognized it. She put me on a diet before tests were done, so the initial tests failed. My GI advised me to do a gluten provocation, which had to be stopped too soon to take a reliable biopsy. Based on symptoms such as vitamin deficiencies, GI problems and osteopenia my diagnosis now is: glutenintolerant, suspected celiac disease. This diagnosis was in march 2010, and I've been so much better ever since.

#5 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:00 AM

The "same" products vary greatly from country to country due to manufacturers using the most common local ingredients in their products. AND, a "common" item in one country, can be unknown, or a speciality item in another.

Ask about ingredient in local products closer to home .. For your concerns, contact your Coeliac Society - they have the most up-to-date information.

Irish Coeliac Sociey

Irish Coeliac society Forums

UK Coeliac Society

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: