Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Modified Starch

5 posts in this topic

Does any one here now much about Modified Starch as an ingredient in food and sauces? I have a booklet here from my Dietician in the local Hospital and it rules out Modified starch as being not gluten free. Yet i have had yoghurts and sauces which say Gluten free on them and contain modified starch in their ingredients list.... I'm really confused about this.

The sauce i have here is Birds Brandy Sauce which is a custard style accompaniment for cake, christmas puddings etc... Birds is the Brand that we have here in Ireland.

It states in my Celiac Society or Ireland book that Birds custard is gluten free but says nothing about Brandy Sauce by the same company.

If anyone could help that would be brilliant.

Ads by Google:

Modified starch can be a source of gluten, but is usually not. At least in North America, it is typically corn or tapioca.

If a grain containing gluten was used, it has to be mentioned on the package like "modified starch" (wheat-). If not, then they can label it as "modified starch". It will be safe for coeliacs. I hope this answers your question.

The "same" products vary greatly from country to country due to manufacturers using the most common local ingredients in their products. AND, a "common" item in one country, can be unknown, or a speciality item in another.

Ask about ingredient in local products closer to home .. For your concerns, contact your Coeliac Society - they have the most up-to-date information.

Irish Coeliac Sociey

Irish Coeliac society Forums

UK Coeliac Society