This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Appendicitis And Gluten/wheat Sensitivity

Guest BellyTimber

StephenJ Newbie

As a surgical Nurse of 14 years i believe gluten has a part to play in anything that ends with itis..Diverticulitis,Appendicitis,Cholecystitis,Pancreatitis,Thyroiditis.

Just last week a 40 year female admitted for OT,for removal of appendix,as i was preparing her for theatre, i asked her did she have a bread binge in the the last 24 hrs? Her eyes widened and said, i ate a 6 pack of hot cross buns in one sitting last night.I asked her does she bloat when eating bread? and she said she did.I said to her i believe you may have a gluten sensitivity.This is anecdotal evidence on my part, but over the years and in my case 5 years ago i developed diverticulitis,hospitalized 3 days with triple IV AB's I had a colonoscopy to confirm diverticulitis with large mouth and small mouth diverticulum.   I cleaned up my diet lost 20KG in 1 year, I stopped everything with Gluten in it. Went back to eating good fat,butter,cream,eggs, stopped sugar,stopped drinking soft drinks of any kind,stopped all junk foods and started taking supplements.In 5 years i have not had another attack,had no bowel pain when eating.My weight was 97kg and now i am stable at 75kg.With an inflamed  bowel you will not be able to absorb nutrients.Your gut health is the key to the start of your health.It does not matter if you are eating the perfect diet, if  gluten is in it, your gut is dysfunctional, you will not be able to absorb Vitamins, Minerals, Amino acids and good omega fats,3,6,9's, you cannot go long like that without disease starting in your body. I believe weight gain can be cause by Gluten sensitivity in some people.Constipation or diarrhea even skin rashes could be the cause of Gluten.Breast feeding mom's, pleases if baby is unsettled stop gluten in your diet and see if your precious baby settles.

I remember a Dr many years ago said this to me.. 'Steve, you want to live long and die fast, you don't want to live long and die slowly". He also said "most diseases are caused by inflammation"

Our body has the extraordinary capability to heal itself if given the right environment.Listen to your body, what is it saying to you?

Its a sad fact most Dr's today are in the business of disease management,through medications.Thank God for emergency medicine and antibiotics which can save lives,but we as individuals have to play our part in our health,if we do not take an interest in our health, you are relinquishing your health to people who have no vested interest to get you healed.

A man can pull a motor cars engine to bits and names all the pieces, then put it all back together,but ask that same man where is his pituitary gland? You have the capability, and the brains to know how your body works, what it needs to function optimally.Most Dr's today have no clue about Vitamins,minerals,amino acids and fatty acids and the roll they play in health.

There are groups of people around this world that consistently get to live over 100 years, these people groups are poor,have no Dr's, no medications, but still function without the diseases which first world countries are suffering from.Some countries are spending trillions of dollars on health a year and their health is worsening.

The Dr's of the future will cure disease, most Dr's today manage diseases.

God bless Steve.

• 1 year later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubblymik Newbie
On 8/22/2005 at 12:32 PM, Guest BellyTimber said:

Appendicitis and gluten sensitivity - has any tie-in been studied?

That would include people known at the time to have celiac disease or similar, as well as people in whom it was only discovered later.

B)

I have been gluten free for 9/10 years due to gluten intolerance. I had my appendix removed 18 months ago due to appendicitis. Strangely I have not been glutened since then. I've started testing this out and had a bite or two of a normal biscuit and had no side effects. After 8 1/2 years of being bathroom bound for hours after a few crumbs this is the strangest thing! I wonder if anyone else has had this. I don't plan on going crazy and eating loads but I am curious.

• 2 years later...
JaneLondon Newbie

My 7 year old daughter has had appendicitis twice, removed the second time. First time was before she was diagnosed with coeliac but definitely suffering coeliac symptoms , second time was a month after she was diagnosed type 1 diabetic. 

trents Grand Master
On 10/13/2019 at 1:28 PM, Bubblymik said:

I have been gluten free for 9/10 years due to gluten intolerance. I had my appendix removed 18 months ago due to appendicitis. Strangely I have not been glutened since then. I've started testing this out and had a bite or two of a normal biscuit and had no side effects. After 8 1/2 years of being bathroom bound for hours after a few crumbs this is the strangest thing! I wonder if anyone else has had this. I don't plan on going crazy and eating loads but I am curious.

I had my appendix removed when I was 25 years old and was diagnosed with celiac disease at about 50 years of age so I don't think your theory that celiac disease or gluten intolerance is caused by a bad appendix holds water. If anything, I would be inclined to make some connection the other way around.

JaneLondon Newbie
3 hours ago, trents said:

I had my appendix removed when I was 25 years old and was diagnosed with celiac disease at about 50 years of age so I don't think your theory that celiac disease or gluten intolerance is caused by a bad appendix holds water. If anything, I would be inclined to make some connection the other way around.

I agree. It seems that coeliac disease and perhaps other autoimmune conditions cause inflammation and therefore trigger appendicitis etc. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

I got mine removed about 5 years ago, and ~21 years after my diagnosis. It would be interesting if there were a connection, but so far I haven't seen a medical study on this. One thing I've seen over and over on this forum, but also haven't seen any studies on, is that the gall bladder removal rate seems very high among celiacs. The evidence is mostly anecdotal after seeing people post here over and over that they first had their gall bladder removed, and shortly after got diagnosed with celiac disease because it did not solve their issues. I suspect that jumping to gall bladder surgery might be fairly common in those with gastro complaints...probably way too common. My mother also had her gall bladder removed before her diagnosis.

• 2 months later...
AreiaBlood Newbie

I have yet to be given an Official Diagnoses by a Medical Professional, I have been diagnosed by myself and others as not being Gluten Intolerant, as I originally thought, but as full on Celiac from what I experience after eating Gluten. The last two days I had a little bit of Gluten, in the form of Stuffing from Roast Chicken and a tiny slither of home made pizza. I had two bowel movements yesterday and my Arthritis was playing up, I went to bed with the feeling of my Intestines cramping, like it was moving along my Intestines, it was like an inch-two inches worth of Intestine cramping and then it would move along a little bit. Today I’ve woken up and it nearly feels like I’ve pulled a muscle, except the pain is coming from behind the muscle and it’s where my Appendix would be, I’m 33 and I still have all my Organs and Lymphatic System intact, only ‘surgery’ I’ve had was removing warts. I’ve noticed this pain a few times after eating Gluten and after how I felt last night I don’t want to eat it ever again, it’s not worth it for a moment of brief yum. My Nan, on my Dad’s side died of Bowel Cancer, I remember reading a couple of years after her death that they reckoned a lot of elderly people with Bowel Cancer were undiagnosed Celiacs. Would explain why Dad has such a bad Beer Gut, for all I know my Mum has it too, cause her Mum died from a hole in her stomach, that caused Blood Toxicity and she baked a lot, my Nan didn’t bake that much if she ever did not something I remember her doing, but both ate Breads and Pastries, so could’ve gotten it from both sides. My Mum has Type 2 Diabetes as well, a Fatty Liver and had her Gaul bladder removed, my Dad I don’t know as he doesn’t talk to me now. My partner is a Type 1 Diabetic and they wanted him to get tested for Celiac, would explain his digestive issues, it really would, he had bad Diarrhoea and he was loving off Noodles, then it went to bad constipation and now he has bouts of both and often throws up and can’t keep things down at times, he still eats Gluten though 🙄

Was nice to find this post, helped me realise that the pain is probably my Appendix and indeed because I ate Gluten the last two days, even if they were small amounts, still enough to make me feel sick and in pain.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master
45 minutes ago, AreiaBlood said:

I have yet to be given an Official Diagnoses by a Medical Professional, I have been diagnosed by myself and others as not being Gluten Intolerant, as I originally thought, but as full on Celiac from what I experience after eating Gluten. The last two days I had a little bit of Gluten, in the form of Stuffing from Roast Chicken and a tiny slither of home made pizza. I had two bowel movements yesterday and my Arthritis was playing up, I went to bed with the feeling of my Intestines cramping, like it was moving along my Intestines, it was like an inch-two inches worth of Intestine cramping and then it would move along a little bit. Today I’ve woken up and it nearly feels like I’ve pulled a muscle, except the pain is coming from behind the muscle and it’s where my Appendix would be, I’m 33 and I still have all my Organs and Lymphatic System intact, only ‘surgery’ I’ve had was removing warts. I’ve noticed this pain a few times after eating Gluten and after how I felt last night I don’t want to eat it ever again, it’s not worth it for a moment of brief yum. My Nan, on my Dad’s side died of Bowel Cancer, I remember reading a couple of years after her death that they reckoned a lot of elderly people with Bowel Cancer were undiagnosed Celiacs. Would explain why Dad has such a bad Beer Gut, for all I know my Mum has it too, cause her Mum died from a hole in her stomach, that caused Blood Toxicity and she baked a lot, my Nan didn’t bake that much if she ever did not something I remember her doing, but both ate Breads and Pastries, so could’ve gotten it from both sides. My Mum has Type 2 Diabetes as well, a Fatty Liver and had her Gaul bladder removed, my Dad I don’t know as he doesn’t talk to me now. My partner is a Type 1 Diabetic and they wanted him to get tested for Celiac, would explain his digestive issues, it really would, he had bad Diarrhoea and he was loving off Noodles, then it went to bad constipation and now he has bouts of both and often throws up and can’t keep things down at times, he still eats Gluten though 🙄

Was nice to find this post, helped me realise that the pain is probably my Appendix and indeed because I ate Gluten the last two days, even if they were small amounts, still enough to make me feel sick and in pain.

What's keeping you and your partner from going in for testing to find out if your suspicions of having celiac disease are correct or if there is something else going on? There are blood antibody tests that are very reliable for detecting celiac disease. But you would need to be eating regular amounts of gluten for about two months before testing to have them be valid.