5 replies to this topic

#1 magso

magso

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:06 AM

Can anyone tell me if these are typical withdrawl symptoms after eliminating gluten from my diet. The last gluten I had was last Saturday, I have not had any since (not that I am aware of) and I feel so ill. I have had chronic gas and bloating for a few days now that does not seem to be improving, my body aches terrible, I feel like my legs donīt belong to me they just feel shaky, my tongue and gums feel like they are burning and tingling, fatigue, depression and feeling that there is something seriously wrong with me. iīm feeling quite scared I feel so ill.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kwylee

kwylee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:16 AM

When I first removed gluten from my diet I went through withdrawal too, and even though I myself had mostly dizziness and some intestinal discomfort (tummy troubles previously odd for me), it did pass. But I recall being more than a little alarmed, especially since many doctors don't believe you can have w/d symptoms from gluten. There are many many on this forum who disagree and have firsthand experience to prove it. Anyway, once it passed I felt amazing.

One bit of advice that I am thankful I took from the folks here on the forum was to also eliminate all traces of dairy and soy at first. So if you seem to continue with symptoms, you may want to consider that, since lots of people like me, who have trouble with gluten also have trouble with those two common ingredients. Many can add the dairy and/or soy back at a later time, once healing is progressed.

Hang in there. It really does get better.
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

#3 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

Dr Charles Parker's Celiac Notes.
Opiate withdrawal from discontinuing gluten and casein?
Cautionary note: sounds absurd until you see it.
You might want to warn gluten sensitive, celiac and casein sensitive patients about this
odd and painful clinical phenomenon:
Withdrawal after stopping wheat or milk products can be painful, exhausting, and depressing,
with weakness, anger, and brain fog.
The peptides from gluten [gliadorphin] and casein [casomorphin] are important because
the react with opiate receptors in the brain, thus mimicking the effects of opiate drugs like heroin and morphine.
These compounds have been shown to react with areas of the brain such as the temporal lobes,
which are involved in speech and auditory integration.
Read the Article:
http://www.corepsych...ten-and-casein/
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#4 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

KILLER CRAVINGS! (All cravings not just Gluten) .
Addictive substances cause the body to become dependent on an unnatural substance for homeostatic balance.
Removing it causes withdrawals.
During withdrawal, the addict suffers through the painful readjustment as the body cries out for the missing substance.
In a desperate attempt to maintain homeostasis (chemical balance), the body demands the very substance that caused the imbalance.
The body’s homeostatic balance is affected by diet.
Consumption of massive amounts of sugar, salt, caffeine or fried foods drastically affects homeostatic balance.

Natural hunger becomes distorted as the body craves the substances necessary for balance.
The body reacts as it would to any addiction.
Powerful cravings override the body’s natural needs.

Food allergies can also cause an addiction-like dependence due to homeostatic disturbance.
Your favorite foods are usually the ones to which you are addicted.
You usually feel better immediately after eating the food that you are addicted to, but shortly afterward the allergic reaction produces a feeling of irritability.
It causes flatulence, nausea, depression or headaches.
Milk, wheat and eggs are the most common allergic foods.
Each contains large protein molecules with strong glue-like bonds.
If the appropriate enzyme necessary for digestion is not available, these protein molecules enter the blood undigested.
The immune system attacks these fragments as if they were invaders.
Homeostasis has been interrupted and if these foods are continually eaten, the body needs them for homeostatic balance, causing an allergen-based food addiction.
Extract from the Book Eating in Freedom By Tom McGregor E-book link Here
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#5 MikeTambo

MikeTambo

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:25 AM

I was diagnosed about a month ago. For sure, I had (or am having) withdrawal. First week was bad, as were the next few but this week I think I've turned the corner. Since Wednesday, my old appetite has returned with a vengeance and I'm eating like a horse, with great digestion, and hopefully starting to gain back the 10 lbs I didn't need to lose.

#6 magso

magso

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:42 AM

I was diagnosed about a month ago. For sure, I had (or am having) withdrawal. First week was bad, as were the next few but this week I think I've turned the corner. Since Wednesday, my old appetite has returned with a vengeance and I'm eating like a horse, with great digestion, and hopefully starting to gain back the 10 lbs I didn't need to lose.

How long can withdrawl symptoms go on for? I canīt believe how I can feel so different from one day to the next. Yesterday I felt better than I have for a while but this morning when I woke up I was shivering, cold, headaches, nausea, do not want to eat anything, aching everywhere - I feel really bad like I have flu or something, itīs awfull. I would never have believed that deleting foods from your diet could cause so many problems. I am trying to convince myself that it will all be worth it in the end but I am struggling at the moment to see it :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: