6 replies to this topic

#1 Spartans1960

Spartans1960

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

To all of my gluten-free beer collegues, my son-in-law recently served me a labeled Gluten Free beer named "Daura" from Spain, sold at a liquor store. The bottles had a bottle neck circular labled Gluten Free Beer, the beer had no referenced in the regular label stating what the beer was composed of other than in small print, stating it was certified to contain gluten content content below 6PPM.

How did this get through as labeled Gluten Free Beer? We'll I got sick on this beer, and obviously, I will stick to Redbridge and Becks, made from sorghum grain. Just wondering if anyone else has gotten sick or tried this beer?

Doug

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 savvvyseller

savvvyseller

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

Beck's is not gluten free.

To all of my gluten-free beer collegues, my son-in-law recently served me a labeled Gluten Free beer named "Daura" from Spain, sold at a liquor store. The bottles had a bottle neck circular labled Gluten Free Beer, the beer had no referenced in the regular label stating what the beer was composed of other than in small print, stating it was certified to contain gluten content content below 6PPM.

How did this get through as labeled Gluten Free Beer? We'll I got sick on this beer, and obviously, I will stick to Redbridge and Becks, made from sorghum grain. Just wondering if anyone else has gotten sick or tried this beer?

Doug

#3 Spartans1960

Spartans1960

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

Beck's is not gluten free.

Sorry Savvvyseller, I really meant Bards Gluten Free. What do you like?

#4 savvvyseller

savvvyseller

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:55 AM

I think Bards is the best of the bunch, although I'm looking forward to trying Dogfish Head's new certified gluten-free ale that's coming out next month.

Sorry Savvvyseller, I really meant Bards Gluten Free. What do you like?

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hubby will be happy to hear that about Dogfish Head--they make good beer. :)

Green's is good, but pricey. Bard's is our fav. (except we are thinking it is time for home brew at the price of this stuff. :rolleyes: ) He brewed his own before my DX--need to replace some equipment first.

If you like cider, he said to tell you Woodchuck is decent--- as is Longbow.

Cheers!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 killernj13

killernj13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:37 AM

This beer is brewed with barley and they make that claim that the gluten is mostly removed in the process. They claim it is tested and is below the 6PPM level which is well below the 20PPM requirement in the US.
With that all said I had it twice and it made me sick both times so it is off my list.

Mike's Lemonade in making the same claim with it's products and have even listed two as Gluten Free on the box. They claim they are all gluten-free since the same process is used with all their products but only list the two varieties that have been tested. I drank the lite lemonade last summer and did not get sick.

#7 singlutinoya

singlutinoya

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

DAURA BEER MADE ME SO SICK. Definitely, definitely glutened. Consider yourself warned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: