#1 upwitht21

upwitht21

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:11 PM

Hi everyone and merry Christmas,

So my family has been gluten free for about a month. New cookware, toaster, strainer, ect have been purchased. I've been really trying to avoid processed food but I think I'm missing something. My bone pain has definitely improved but now I have stomach problems I didn't have before. Is there anything that you guys missed at first that I should look at changing? I changed lotions and things like that as well.

Thanks!
Jess

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

sorry, how long have you been gluten free?

it took 3-6 months before certain symptoms of mine resolved. I experienced a new symptom--bloating and gas--which was new, but went away in time.

healing is so confusing.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

sorry, how long have you been gluten free?

it took 3-6 months before certain symptoms of mine resolved. I experienced a new symptom--bloating and gas--which was new, but went away in time.

healing is so confusing.

If your gut is damaged, it could also be one of the common culprits like dairy, soy, corn or other grains (like certifed gluten-free oats or other "safe" grains. Fortunately these may be items you can safely reintroduce in time. Foods in the nightshade family bother some people after going gluten-free too.

Try keeping a food diary. It also helped me to go to an allergist. Good luck!
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#4 upwitht21

upwitht21

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

I had zero stomach problems before I changed my diet. I was actually tested because we have fertility problems. In a lot of ways I feel worse than I did. We decided that I wouldn't do a biopsy since my labs were all high but I'm considering going back on gluten and having the biopsy. I've only been gluten free for a about a month. I've been avoiding dairy as much as possible and I'm not s huge fan of tomatoes or the other nightshade veggies so they aren't a problem.

I'm so incredibly frustrated right now.

#5 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

Your body may be de-toxing. A month is really nothing in terms of being gluten-free.. I call it the infancy stage. It can take several years for some people to feel better ... Everyone is different..You have taken out (wheat) something that your body was having to digest for probably years & years, then all of a sudden you take it away.. Body just may be having withdrawals & fighting back...

You could try some digestive enzymes ( I use Digest Gold) and probiotics... I think I would try anything before having to go back to eating gluten ! Also very clean eating could help for a few months. Cutting out processed foods & junk foods....just a plain basic diet...

#6 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

I had a lot of stomach rumbling and nausea in the first few months gluten free. Your stomach isn't used to not having to deal with gluten. I had to use Promethazine by prescription for the nausea. I decided the "baby villi" were just trying to grow back. It was a long few months and I had secondary intolerances too. I didn't think I would have the secondary intolerances, but dairy, soy, preservatives, and salicylates all bothered me in the early stages of healing. It took forever to figure it out. Finally I went grain free and that is when I started healing really really fast. Just wanted you to know the early months are rough just like the other posters have said. But hang in there because it really is all worth it.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#7 upwitht21

upwitht21

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for all the advice glad to know this normal lol sucks to have stomach problems now but hopefully it will get better. My 9 year seems totally fine with the change so thank goodness for that.

....Jess

#8 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:16 AM

It can take a while for your bodies' gut flora to get right after removing gluten. It can help to take pro-biotics and remove sugar and starches. Dairy is a fairly common problem as the tips of the villi make the lactase enzyme that breaks down the lactose sugar in cow dairy. So it can help to go off dairy for a few months and see if that improves things. The villi can heal/regrow though and then they can make the lactase enzyme again and the dairy may not bother you then.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: