This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Jennie O Oven Ready Turkey Breast

Kquad

Kquad Apprentice

I could not find this in a search, so I wanted to warn people.

I bought Jennie O oven ready turkey breast, because it states "no Gluten". No where on the package does it states that the gravy contains gluten, which it does. It does state modified food starch in the ingredients. Fortunately, My wife is not trusting. She check the website, which warns it contains gluten. I fired off a very angry email.

Kquad

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks for posting. Here is a link to that item on their website

Open Original Shared Link

"Product Features:

Gluten Free

The Biggest Loser® product

Preseasoned

Comes sealed in our Fool-Proof® cooking bag

With Gravy Packet (contains gluten)"

They need to put that warning about the gravy in an obvious place on that package. Wonder how many others didn't think to check and just saw the gluten free label.

Glad it got checked before you consumed.

Lisa Mentor

Butterball, recently modified their wheat ingredient in their gravy. It was good too! :P

The gravy packet ingredients should be listed on the exterior or the packaging as well. Was it not.

:D

Kquad Apprentice

Butterball, recently modified their wheat ingredient in their gravy. It was good too! :P

The gravy packet ingredients should be listed on the exterior or the packaging as well. Was it not.

:D

states contains "in big letter "NO GLUTEN. Under ingredients for gravy. only possible mention is modified food starch. No where including inside, does it states contain gluten. To top it off, the ingredients are first listed for the turkey, then the gravy and right below the gravy is the no gluten indication.

Turkey..........

Gravy........

contains milk, NO GLUTEN

Kantoquad

Lisa Mentor

states contains "in big letter "NO GLUTEN. Under ingredients for gravy. only possible mention is modified food starch. No where including inside, does it states contain gluten. To top it off, the ingredients are first listed for the turkey, then the gravy and right below the gravy is the no gluten indication.

Turkey..........

Gravy........

contains milk, NO GLUTEN

Kantoquad

If the Modified Food Starch contained wheat, it would be listed as "modified food starch (wheat), or listed on the ingredient listing,by law in the US. It should be gluten free.

Perhaps the reference that Raven listed has not been updated.

lovegrov Collaborator

If the gravy package or the ingredient listings specifically say no gluten and the MFS doesn't mention wheat, I'd say it's gluten-free. Unless they made a mistake, it's more likely to be up to date than the website. Or call the company.

richard

Kquad Apprentice

If the gravy package or the ingredient listings specifically say no gluten and the MFS doesn't mention wheat, I'd say it's gluten-free. Unless they made a mistake, it's more likely to be up to date than the website. Or call the company.

richard

I hope so, I tossed it rather than risk it. We had already opened it for Christmas dinner and they were not open. As sick as I get, I would never risk it! Kept the receipt, and plan on a refund. Kind of messed up Christmas. I only bought it because it said gluten free. It was much more expensive than other alternatives.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I hope so, I tossed it rather than risk it. We had already opened it for Christmas dinner and they were not open. As sick as I get, I would never risk it! Kept the receipt, and plan on a refund. Kind of messed up Christmas. I only bought it because it said gluten free. It was much more expensive than other alternatives.

Before you take it for a refund call the company as the gravy may have been fine. Point out during the call that the package and the website gave conflicting info. The company may well have changed to a gluten free gravy but not updated the website yet. There is a good chance the company will either refund your purchase or send you coupons for items that are safe. If the only thing in question on the label was the starch be aware that if it is from wheat the company must say so.

Kquad Apprentice

I got the email back from them. The gravy does contain gluten. The email stated that they mark their product as containing gluten and that I should check their website for updates. I save the packaging and it is in front of me. No where, including on the gravy does it state it contains gluten. So be aware

Kquad

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I got the email back from them. The gravy does contain gluten. The email stated that they mark their product as containing gluten and that I should check their website for updates. I save the packaging and it is in front of me. No where, including on the gravy does it state it contains gluten. So be aware

Kquad

If you have a scanner scan the packaging and send the pics to them. If it was missed in the printing of the package then they need to know about it.

Kquad Apprentice

OK, so I got a hold of someone who actually know something. The info on the company email was wrong.

They are in the process of switching over to gluten free gravy. It seems to be a little messy. She advised me not to eat the gravy yet, but that it appears I got one of the new ones.

I told her that, was good.

I also said it is dangerous to place Gluten Free on top of a package, with a small disclaimer at the bottom regarding gluten in the gravy. This seems to have been the old practice. She said it met FDA guidelines to do so. I said it may, but it is bad practice. She promised to pass that up. I should receive hormel coupons in the mail for my trouble

Lisa Mentor

OK, so I got a hold of someone who actually know something. The info on the company email was wrong.

They are in the process of switching over to gluten free gravy. It seems to be a little messy. She advised me not to eat the gravy yet, but that it appears I got one of the new ones.

I told her that, was good.

I also said it is dangerous to place Gluten Free on top of a package, with a small disclaimer at the bottom regarding gluten in the gravy. This seems to have been the old practice. She said it met FDA guidelines to do so. I said it may, but it is bad practice. She promised to pass that up. I should receive hormel coupons in the mail for my trouble

What a great thing you did, to follow up. I think Jenny-O/ Hormel is a great company, but this should have not happened. Thanks for calling this to their attention. :)

Archived