11 replies to this topic

#1 Kquad

Kquad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:14 PM

I could not find this in a search, so I wanted to warn people.

I bought Jennie O oven ready turkey breast, because it states "no Gluten". No where on the package does it states that the gravy contains gluten, which it does. It does state modified food starch in the ingredients. Fortunately, My wife is not trusting. She check the website, which warns it contains gluten. I fired off a very angry email.

Kquad

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for posting. Here is a link to that item on their website
http://www.jennieo.c...n-Turkey-Breast

"Product Features:
Gluten Free
The Biggest Loser® product
Preseasoned
Comes sealed in our Fool-Proof® cooking bag
With Gravy Packet (contains gluten)"

They need to put that warning about the gravy in an obvious place on that package. Wonder how many others didn't think to check and just saw the gluten free label.

Glad it got checked before you consumed.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

Butterball, recently modified their wheat ingredient in their gravy. It was good too! :P

The gravy packet ingredients should be listed on the exterior or the packaging as well. Was it not.
:D
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 Kquad

Kquad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

Butterball, recently modified their wheat ingredient in their gravy. It was good too! :P

The gravy packet ingredients should be listed on the exterior or the packaging as well. Was it not.
:D

states contains "in big letter "NO GLUTEN. Under ingredients for gravy. only possible mention is modified food starch. No where including inside, does it states contain gluten. To top it off, the ingredients are first listed for the turkey, then the gravy and right below the gravy is the no gluten indication.

Turkey..........
Gravy........
contains milk, NO GLUTEN

Kantoquad

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

states contains "in big letter "NO GLUTEN. Under ingredients for gravy. only possible mention is modified food starch. No where including inside, does it states contain gluten. To top it off, the ingredients are first listed for the turkey, then the gravy and right below the gravy is the no gluten indication.

Turkey..........
Gravy........
contains milk, NO GLUTEN

Kantoquad

If the Modified Food Starch contained wheat, it would be listed as "modified food starch (wheat), or listed on the ingredient listing,by law in the US. It should be gluten free.

Perhaps the reference that Raven listed has not been updated.
Lisa

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:42 AM

If the gravy package or the ingredient listings specifically say no gluten and the MFS doesn't mention wheat, I'd say it's gluten-free. Unless they made a mistake, it's more likely to be up to date than the website. Or call the company.

richard

#7 Kquad

Kquad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

If the gravy package or the ingredient listings specifically say no gluten and the MFS doesn't mention wheat, I'd say it's gluten-free. Unless they made a mistake, it's more likely to be up to date than the website. Or call the company.

richard

I hope so, I tossed it rather than risk it. We had already opened it for Christmas dinner and they were not open. As sick as I get, I would never risk it! Kept the receipt, and plan on a refund. Kind of messed up Christmas. I only bought it because it said gluten free. It was much more expensive than other alternatives.

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

I hope so, I tossed it rather than risk it. We had already opened it for Christmas dinner and they were not open. As sick as I get, I would never risk it! Kept the receipt, and plan on a refund. Kind of messed up Christmas. I only bought it because it said gluten free. It was much more expensive than other alternatives.

Before you take it for a refund call the company as the gravy may have been fine. Point out during the call that the package and the website gave conflicting info. The company may well have changed to a gluten free gravy but not updated the website yet. There is a good chance the company will either refund your purchase or send you coupons for items that are safe. If the only thing in question on the label was the starch be aware that if it is from wheat the company must say so.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#9 Kquad

Kquad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

I got the email back from them. The gravy does contain gluten. The email stated that they mark their product as containing gluten and that I should check their website for updates. I save the packaging and it is in front of me. No where, including on the gravy does it state it contains gluten. So be aware

Kquad

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:07 AM

I got the email back from them. The gravy does contain gluten. The email stated that they mark their product as containing gluten and that I should check their website for updates. I save the packaging and it is in front of me. No where, including on the gravy does it state it contains gluten. So be aware

Kquad

If you have a scanner scan the packaging and send the pics to them. If it was missed in the printing of the package then they need to know about it.

#11 Kquad

Kquad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

OK, so I got a hold of someone who actually know something. The info on the company email was wrong.

They are in the process of switching over to gluten free gravy. It seems to be a little messy. She advised me not to eat the gravy yet, but that it appears I got one of the new ones.

I told her that, was good.

I also said it is dangerous to place Gluten Free on top of a package, with a small disclaimer at the bottom regarding gluten in the gravy. This seems to have been the old practice. She said it met FDA guidelines to do so. I said it may, but it is bad practice. She promised to pass that up. I should receive hormel coupons in the mail for my trouble

#12 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

OK, so I got a hold of someone who actually know something. The info on the company email was wrong.

They are in the process of switching over to gluten free gravy. It seems to be a little messy. She advised me not to eat the gravy yet, but that it appears I got one of the new ones.

I told her that, was good.

I also said it is dangerous to place Gluten Free on top of a package, with a small disclaimer at the bottom regarding gluten in the gravy. This seems to have been the old practice. She said it met FDA guidelines to do so. I said it may, but it is bad practice. She promised to pass that up. I should receive hormel coupons in the mail for my trouble

What a great thing you did, to follow up. I think Jenny-O/ Hormel is a great company, but this should have not happened. Thanks for calling this to their attention. :)
Lisa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: