This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Holiday Successes And Failures

thleensd

Ellie84 Apprentice

The holidays are always a time of mixed feelings for me. The days before I can get quite sad because my own family doesn't care about my diet. Whenever I visit my dad and his new wife I even have to bring my own snacks. Buying a bag of plain salted crisps is too difficult for them, even when I ask for it <_< I just don't feel welcome there, and since my diagnosis I've never spent Christmas with them again.

There is a big upside to it all: my boyfriend's family is very supportive and they make a sport out of it to find tasty treats that everyone can enjoy. We were there yesterday and we used a table grill. They had bought fresh meats, chicken and fish which everyone could grill for themselves. It was delicious and gluten-free. For breakfast they usually buy luxury bake-off rolls from Schär for me. I can't express how grateful I am that they are so supportive. It makes me feel very loved and welcome. I can't tell them often enough how much I appreciate it :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Duhlina Apprentice

Those of you that had to deal with the annual figuring out how you're going to handle food for Christmas/Hannukah/Solstice/etc, how did it go this year?

I got glutened at my MIL's house on Christmas Eve. STILL no idea what I ate that had gluten in it. I had cheese, some nuts and a glass of egg nog (which I insisted on reading the ingredient list before I drank it). I'm thinking the nuts had some seasonings/gluten mixed in with them.

My mom makes me Rice Krispie treats every year that I immediately dive into as soon as I get them. Something made me stop this year and ask if she made them specifically with the gluten-free Rice Krispies. She said no, she thought RK were gluten free. PHEW....avoided potential disaster there. She felt bad, but I wasn't mad. Christmas dinner was great. My aunt made everything gluten free!

IrishHeart Veteran

I am happy with my first gluten-free Christmas efforts -- turkey, stuffing (finally found a way to use up that Ener-G bread I bought when first diagnosed and didn't know better!), veggies, mashed potatoes and gravy, and cornbread. Only the dessert was store-bought and gluten-filled for my husband and daughter; I had made gluten-free brownies but was full of all the other food so didn't even have one!

I do have to say I ate more replacement foods than I have in one sitting since diagnosis and my system was a little wonky yesterday but it wasn't from being glutened! Yay! Plus my husband and daughter both admitted that if they didn't know better they'd think it was a 'normal' Christmas dinner. Success!

YAAY! Babs!!

Knowing your extra difficulty finding what you need over there, I am so happy to hear you had such a wonderful dinner! hugs, IH

P.S. My system is a bit wonky too, but only because I ate (and drank )up a storm (oink) for the first time in years...You'll be okay!! ;)

Reba32 Rookie

ok, can I have the recipe for the peppermint bark pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez? I've been craving some :)

I had two holiday feasts, one was Solstice feast with the grove, and it's pot-luck so I took homemade (love that!) stew, bread and dessert granola that I could eat, and I knew that everyone else would like. And everyone is getting used to everyone else's food sensitivities (we have one severely nut allergic and one not so severely nut allergic, plus 2 Celiacs, one of which who doesn't care to bother to eat gluten free), so as soon as everyone brings their food in they yell across the room to me "Becca, you can/can't eat this!" ;)

Christmas feast is always at my and my Mum's house, because my sister and brother-in-law don't cook. So it's always entirely gluten free. My nephew is autistic so is a rather picky eater, and my niece pretty much won't eat anything that doesn't contain copious amounts of sugars and frankenfoods, so meal times with them can be rather frustrating. (I suspect they are both Celiac/gluten intolerant, but my sister refuses to have them tested) We did however have a nice big turkey, HUGE chunk of pork shoulder (my favourite), turnips, carrots, sweet potatoes, and white potatoes. Nephew was given gluten free chicken nuggets, cucumber, raw carrots, and pickles (his favourites). For dessert I made gingerbread cakes, stollen, and a peanut crust chocolate pie.

I'm missing out on the feast at my Aunt's today because we adopted a new dog a couple of days before Christmas and she came with intestinal virus of some sort that has her suffering from explosive diarrhea the past 6 days! I can't leave her home alone like that, not only would there be a terrible mess to clean up, but she's just miserable, the poor fing :( I opted to stay home with her rather than Mum, because I knew unless I brought my own food, there wouldn't be anything for me to eat anyhow, even though they all try to find something for me to eat. They don't believe me that deli meats can have gluten, or that baking a gluten free bread in a bread machine that typically has been used to bake wheat bread could make me sick. Or, like last year, they forget entirely and lunch was pies, pies, and more pies! So, I'm home with sick dog, and not feeling the least bit left out, because I've still got mounds of left over pig meat ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

and I have been craving toffee ever since you posted this photo...as long as

you are sharing, may we have the toffee recipe as well?

to parrot Reba, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze?? :)

Thanks!

love2travel Mentor

Christmas meals were a success. We traveled to my in-law's place for a few days. Prior to that there were many phone calls between my husband and his mom about CC and so on. Everyone was so careful and asked a lot of questions without making me feel like a dork. My MIL had arranged a separate prep area for my things and explained to everyone what to do. It was so awesome! The first night was ham rather than the ubiquitous turkey as she did not want me to miss out on dressing. All the dishes were naturally gluten free so there were no issues. Well, except for the dessert which was made before we got there. My MIL bought me my own butter so no one could double dip. I made my own vinaigrettes for salads and brought my own spices. Prior to each meal I was in the kitchen reading each and every single label and watched the prep. One breakfast was Eggs Benedict (one of my favourites) which I had on my Genius bread. I always dished up first, too.

I missed cooking so badly as I always do when away from home. :P But I was made to feel safe and included and loved. I was not deprived as we all had much of the same things. My first gluten-free Christmas meals were not even an issue. :D

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

Katrala, please post your recipes, especially your cinnamon rolls. They look so awesome!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

oh yes, the cinnamon rolls...(drool)

:lol: Looks like now we are ALL drooling and begging for recipes!! :lol: :lol:

Miss Katrala?? pretty pleeeeeze??

I better watch it---I'm gonna get chubby again)

Celtic Queen Explorer

I got glutened Christmas Eve at my in-laws. What's so bad is my MIL is trying so hard to accomodate my diet but I still got zapped anyway. Ugh. Christmas day we had steak and mashed potatos. I wasn't up to cooking much since I got glutened the night before.

The happy news is that I got a Cuisinart Bread Machine for Christmas so I can now make my own gluten-free bread. That was nice.

srall Contributor

I haven't read through all the responses yet...but I am going to.

My big bug was trying to be so careful at my in-laws and cc, but I still got the worst D. So my husband asks why I thought I was getting so sick. And I said, "Well, there are just so many crumbs, it's impossible to avoid them." To which he rolls his eyes and says, and I quote: "Jesus Christ, Stacey, that is a load of crap." I was furious!

But later my sweet 8 year old, who had seen the exchange said, 'You know, Mama, you're just going to have to trust yourself here. Daddy has no idea how bad this is for us." Support from the 8 year old. Hey...this holiday I'll take it where I can get it. At least when I'm at my mom's house, she gets it. So maybe next year I won't get sick.

srall Contributor

Now that I've posted, AND read through the responses I do want to give a shout out to my wonderful inlaws. Ever since my diagnosis they go out of their way to have gluten free options for me. They did great...just to much cc in a normal kitchen. I realized on this trip that I've gotten D every time I've traveled. I've so far blamed maybe drinking more wine, or eating more processed food, but I'm facing the fact that I am probably getting cross contaminated whenever I'm away from my own kitchen.

Not sure how I"ll handle this in the future.

BUT, in-laws wonderful, husband insensitive in the moment and 8 year old wisdom a God-send.

Katrala Contributor

"Jesus Christ, Stacey, that is a load of crap." I was furious!

Well, in a way, he WAS right.. :D

Lisa Mentor

We had standing rib roast (and some surprise gluten free gravy from Indiana ;) ), creamed potatoes and beans. And oysters Christmas Eve...yummy.

Did not get glutened, but got a severe reaction to the boy-man or man-boy my daughter brought home! <_<:(

IrishHeart Veteran

Did not get glutened, but got a severe reaction to the boy-man or man-boy my daughter brought home! <_<:(

:unsure:

sorry, Lisa!

IrishHeart Veteran

I got glutened Christmas Eve at my in-laws. What's so bad is my MIL is trying so hard to accomodate my diet but I still got zapped anyway. Ugh. Christmas day we had steak and mashed potatos. I wasn't up to cooking much since I got glutened the night before.

The happy news is that I got a Cuisinart Bread Machine for Christmas so I can now make my own gluten-free bread. That was nice.

uh-oh...time to have Christmas Eve dinner moved to your (safe) home?? (that's what I did anyway) Last year was too difficult at my sister's house--gluten galore, no matter how hard she tried. :(

YAAAY!! for bread-makers!! What a thoughtful gift indeed :)

Katrala Contributor

I just left this morning for Florida but will post recipes when I get home.

ladymiss Rookie

thanks for posting your stories. always good to read.

i had an overall good experience as my in-laws tried very hard to accommodate my needs with asking questions and buying certain things i ok'd and only cooking food for me in my pots and pans. but i realized my reluctance to talk "too much" about celiac/gluten intolerance has led to some confusion.

at one point in the conversation, my MIL said 'hopefully one day you'll be healed from it'(aka you'll get over it). i was surprised and said "no, it's a genetic autoimmune disease." my SIL also wanted to know if i had been "diagnosed by a doctor" when speaking to my DH. he said 'yes' but it's not the whole story. how to answer all these questions without launching into a long explanation about why i believe this is celiac due to a combination of sleuthing about symptoms, the difficulty of testing, my test results (antibodies and vitamin deficiencies), incomplete testing (in my case), allergies, genetics (2 close relatives with confirmed celiac), return to health on gluten-free diet and decision on why not to gluten challenge for endo....blah blah blah. the truth is from where i stand i don't know 100% and yet all signs point in that direction. so i got a little frustrated....

how to deal with the questions...... sure, i know, with the truth and answers from my experience. however with a less than generous audience i feel the suspicions creeping in....if a doctor didn't diagnose you...... and here we go....

IrishHeart Veteran

at one point in the conversation, my MIL said 'hopefully one day you'll be healed from it'(aka you'll get over it). i was surprised and said "no, it's a genetic autoimmune disease." my SIL also wanted to know if i had been "diagnosed by a doctor" when speaking to my DH. he said 'yes'

I think you did a fine job answering the questions, hon!

No to the first and yes to the second. :)

You owe no one any other explanation.

You could always send them some info on celiac/NGCI to read?

And PS..I have always loved the Japanese poem in your sig line. ;)

Katrala Contributor

Here is the cinnamon roll recipe I started with:

Open Original Shared Link

I made a few changes, using brown rice flour instead of millet flour and, once, arrowroot start instead of potato starch.

Also, I used a bit more cream cheese than was called for and had a thicker overall icing. I followed the exact directions the first time and the icing was too watery for my tastes.

And make sure to only soften the butter.

IrishHeart Veteran

Here is the cinnamon roll recipe I started with:

Open Original Shared Link

I made a few changes, using brown rice flour instead of millet flour and, once, arrowroot start instead of potato starch.

Also, I used a bit more cream cheese than was called for and had a thicker overall icing. I followed the exact directions the first time and the icing was too watery for my tastes.

And make sure to only soften the butter.

oh man, after the holidays, my pants are too tight NOW..... :lol:

thanks for sharing!

missy'smom Collaborator

I made and ate rolled, cut out Christmas sugar cookies for the first time since I went gluten-free, 5 Years ago?! I kid you not and they were great and free of all my allergens. Whoo hoo!

IrishHeart Veteran

I made and ate rolled, cut out Christmas sugar cookies for the first time since I went gluten-free, 5 Years ago?! I kid you not and they were great and free of all my allergens. Whoo hoo!

whoo hoo is right! congrats!! :)

Poppi Enthusiast

We had a wonderful holiday. Granted I cooked and hosted all but one of the meals and that one was hosted by my gluten-free mom so it was all good.

The only slip up was when my mom and I made Nanaimo Bars. She brought most of the ingredients and it wasn't until a week after they were made and I was trying to pinpoint the source of my fatigue and brain fog that I discovered she had bought both the baking chocolate and the coconut from bulk bins (I shouldn't be eating coconut anyway because it makes me itch). She doesn't react to tiny amounts of gluten or CC so it didn't occur to her that I would object to bulk items. Now she knows. I stopped eating the Nanaimo bars and felt all better within a couple of days.

Our only mildly challenging meal was the one with my sister in law and her kids.

I am of course gluten free but I can eat oats and my niece is allergic to oats, rice, fish and corn. It's not a big deal, it just means we have a grain free meal with no fish and I can't bake for her since I have yet to perfect any gluten/rice/corn free baked goodies. We eat potatoes and ice cream and everyone is happy.

Last night's spice encrusted pork tenderloin with roast potatoes, suateed mushrooms and balsamic roasted cauliflower was the last of the holiday meals. Now it's back to daily life.

missy'smom Collaborator

Poppi, maybe this blog with help with your niece Open Original Shared Link

I made her sugar cookies this Xmas-dairy, soy, gluten and corn-free!

but alas, after I posted I saw the rice allergy, maybe a sub for the rice flour...

I need tapioca-free in addition to the above so I sub extra potato and arrowroot for the tapioca.

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

Katrala, thanks for posting the cinnamon roll recipe. I had actually copied this recipe before, but never made them because I didn't have a rolling pin. I'm so glad you made them and they turned out so good. I want to try them with an all purpose mix. I hope they turn out as good as yours!

Archived