This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Could It Be?

sora

sora Community Regular

I thought I would update. My last post here was Friday morning and the migraine was going away. I had a good day, slightly euphoric and tore through my kitchen my nose running like a faucet the whole time. I found cc issues everywhere. Things I didn't think of before. I change my kitchen towel frequently but realized my son and I still use the same one, things like that.

We had a conversation and I told him we had two choices. 1. go totally gluten free. 2. Basically we both had to be more vigilant.

He said he does not want to go gluten free and and then asked when I was going to be measured for a bubble. ;)

Such a comedian!

So a trip to the dollar store this week.

I had the best sleep Friday night!

Yesterday was good too, went downtown running around getting things done. I have been sticking to basics as far as eating and last night had ham, sweet potato and zucchini and (what was I thinking?) champagne. Yep, big migraine. No histamine symptoms just the migraine. I didn't sleep well last night and woke with the migraine. I took a Tylenol and it has eased some. It didn't occur to me until this morning that champagne more than likely has sulfite's.

When shopping for the ham yesterday I was trying to read the ingredients and the price label was covering it. I went through at least 30 hams trying to find one that wasn't covered. Finally decided to peel the label which took forever, pick, pick, pick. A young girl came over and asked if she could help me. I told her I was gluten free and what I was doing. I asked if they had a ham in the back that might not be labeled yet, no they didn't. Anyway, I picked it off, read the ingredients and then she repriced it for me and it cost me an extra penny for the weight of the extra label. ;)

Charlotte

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kareng Grand Master

Aren't there sulfites in ham? I think most of them are gluten-free but they usually have a lot of chemicals.

sora Community Regular

Aren't there sulfites in ham? I think most of them are gluten-free but they usually have a lot of chemicals.

Ohhh, tell me it's not so! It's my favorite and I bought a 10 lb ham.

I am off to root through the garbage and pick a label. :(

kareng Grand Master

Ohhh, tell me it's not so! It's my favorite and I bought a 10 lb ham.

I am off to root through the garbage and pick a label. :(

Hopefully you got a " naturally processed" ham with out so many added things. I don't know a lot about sulfites.

Did you check a reputable website for sulfite rich foods? You drank wine which usually has sulfites and ate ham. If you really think this might be an issue, why don't you look up some info and try to not eat sulfite foods for a few days?

This one doesn't mentioned smoked meats but I think some have it because I've seen ham advertised as nitrate/ sulfite free.

Open Original Shared Link

sora Community Regular

Hopefully you got a " naturally processed" ham with out so many added things. I don't know a lot about sulfites.

Did you check a reputable website for sulfite rich foods? You drank wine which usually has sulfites and ate ham. If you really think this might be an issue, why don't you look up some info and try to not eat sulfite foods for a few days?

This one doesn't mentioned smoked meats but I think some have it because I've seen ham advertised as nitrate/ sulfite free.

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for that link. I just checked the ingredients of the ham and there are no sulfite's. It does have preservatives and one is nitrate.

I have been looking up info on sulfite's. There is a lot of conflicting info out there and it will take time to sift through it all.

IrishHeart Veteran

I found cc issues everywhere. Things I didn't think of before. I change my kitchen towel frequently but realized my son and I still use the same one, things like that.

While you are figuring out the sulfite issue, you mention you got the CC

issues under control...that's a big step!! Good for you!!! :)

sora Community Regular

While you are figuring out the sulfite issue, you mention you got the CC

issues under control...that's a big step!! Good for you!!! :)

One of the cc issues was a jigsaw puzzle that many of us worked on over the holidays. Imagine that, it's everywhere.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

One of the cc issues was a jigsaw puzzle that many of us worked on over the holidays. Imagine that, it's everywhere.

Oh dear :rolleyes: .....Well, new house rule?--no eating the wheat thins while working the puzzles, everybody!! Maybe wipe the TV remotes down...??

Maybe someone who lives with WEs can pipe in here and give you more advice about the practicalities of it all.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Don't forget the phone and the refrigerator handle, in addition to the remote. I have seen crumbs the size of ants on all three. And another one is furniture - big chunks of stuff in the depressions around buttons on my new leather couch...

They call me the Gluten Police. They don't bother bringing it in the house anymore....I caught my son (age 9) and his friend in my bed watching tv, eating goldfish crackers. They are alive, but barely.

I banished the eating of gluteny crumbly foods to the patio, and hands washed with soap upon re-entry.

IrishHeart Veteran

They call me the Gluten Police.

Good for you!

:lol: I have been called that too. :rolleyes: Also, the Gluten Nazi, the Gluterminator, the Celiac Whisperer, She Who Sees Celiacs Everywhere. <_<

I don't care. I call it as I see it--it's POISON.

salexander421 Enthusiast

Living with a gluten eater is a nightmare for the super sensitive! In our house the only one who is not gluten free is my husband. We tried having a mixed household but there was so much tension from me being on his back all the time about what and where he was eating. Even with me watching him like a hawk we were still having severe CC issues so we collectively agreed on a gluten free household...within just a few days there were very noticeable differences in everyone! He just eats it when he's away from the house and if he absolutely has to have it at home he eats it outside and washes his hands. Some people call this overly cautious but it works for us, and the only reason my gluten eating husband willingly goes along with this is because he has seen the difference it has made. Glad to you hear you are getting it all figured out!

sora Community Regular

Just to update, I am sticking to a diet of stuff I know for sure don't bother me. keeping my food diary, symptoms, sleep patterns etc.

Monday night my son and a friend made gluten pizza and I had a horrible and painful reaction when it was baking. Part of the reaction was due to the hot sauce they put on it. I have become very, very sensitive to the smell of cumin/hot pepper.

He does not want to go gluten free (yet). I do most of the cooking and it is all gluten-free. I suspect he is Celiac and he has agreed to be tested but still denies he may be Celiac. He has had horrible IBS most of his life. I think he is starting to see the connection when he eats my cooking he is ok but when he eats his food he is in the bathroom a lot.

So, yesterday I decided to scrub the stove inside and out. Took forever, I was tired. When I took the burners off and the catch trays I discovered a ton of crumbs underneath. I cleaned every little nook and cranny. scrubbed the outside of the deep freezer and the fridge again. I bought new dish towels and cloths again. He has his, I have mine. I did have a reaction when cleaning the oven but not bad. This morning he warmed in the microwave a gluten breakfast sandwich and again I had a mild reaction. I realized I do not have an exhaust fan in my kitchen so I am thinking to get one and see if that makes a difference.

Just trying to remain vigilant at all times.

collgwg Contributor

I had a wonderful day yesterday and the meal was perfect.

Stuffing made with Glutino Genius bread.

I went to bed at midnight and wok at 4:15 having an allergic reaction. Took a pill and after an hour felt better, went back to bed and woke an hour later and the reaction was worse.

Itchy lips and mouth and that awful sinus pain. I took another pill and it has eased but it is still there. I have no idea what it could be from. Maybe a reaction to the bread in the stuffing? I did eat a lot of it and also had some later.

I ate Butterball turkey, stuffing, sweet potato yukon gold potato (very little) homemade cranberry sauce, roasted carrot,turnip and beets with sunflower oil and Tbsp balsamic, frozen peas, gluten-free gravy made with rice flour and homemade pumpkin pie, crust less with gluten-free chex topping and Breyers all natural vanilla ice cream.

Any ideas anyone?

i wonder if it was the potato the balsamic v dairy or what spices was in the stuffing i wonder if it was some spice

i know when i have a reaction like that its usually a spice i have used dill does it for me and poultry seasoning does it and a few others

hope you are feeling better soon

sora Community Regular

Potatoes did give me problems at first but recently I can eat them in smaller amounts. And peeled of course. Tomato still bothers me and sals spices really get to me, even the scent of them.

I made the stuffing and the only spice was sage. I use it a lot and it doesn't bother me. Sad for me, I am a spiceaholic but one thing I noticed right off on the gluten free was how much better everything tasted. :)

I am sure I was being Cced and since I have been more vigilant it has stopped. I slacked off on the cleaning during the holiday.

I am suspicious of the balsamic (sulfite's)and won't eat it again.

I am sticking to a basic diet for a while and keeping my diary.

Once I have been eating basic for a while I will test things. Like eating a few grapes, I have reacted to wine, so is it Sals or sulfite's, I'll figure it out in time.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

IrishHeart Veteran

I am sure I was being Cced and since I have been more vigilant it has stopped. .

Aha! That's a good sign!! :)

Sometimes, that's all it is---contributing to the ill feelings.

I thought every food was a problem for me too. My list of "No-nos" was LONG--tomatoes, orange juice, coffee, soy, beans, chocolate, salicylates, fructose, etc...

When my gut started healing, and the inflammation from the celiac/gluten was lessened, I could eat more foods.

Best wishes to you!!!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Tomato still bothers me and sals spices really get to me, even the scent of them.

Tomatoes bothered me too. Then I found I could eat heirloom tomatoes from the farmer's market. The next year I grew my own and could eat those ones too. Good thing I did that because my supplier didn't return to the market that year. I don't know if it was the tomato variety, pesticides or something else.

I had the same issue with some spices where I could eat the ones I grew myself. That was easier to find out. They are easier to grow than tomatoes. Now I plan to eat rutabagas. I reacted to those from the market and I have some waiting for me in my garden.

It takes a long time and a lot of effort to grow your own or find another source to try to figure out what is bothering you. Good luck.

EJR Rookie

i wonder if it was the potato the balsamic v dairy or what spices was in the stuffing i wonder if it was some spice

i know when i have a reaction like that its usually a spice i have used dill does it for me and poultry seasoning does it and a few others

hope you are feeling better soon

The Butterball turkey may be the culprit. I looked on their website and the turkey has 'modified food starch' injected as well as other ingredients. Modified food starch may contain gluten.

IrishHeart Veteran

The Butterball turkey may be the culprit. I looked on their website and the turkey has 'modified food starch' injected as well as other ingredients. Modified food starch may contain gluten.

Actually, Only 2 Butterball products contain gluten and they indicate WHEAT on labels.

From the Butterball website:

Do Butterball® products contain any allergens like gluten?

Butterball product labels let consumers know whether any of the top eight allergens may be present in the product. For example, a label may read “contains wheat and dairy.” Specifically, gluten is not present naturally in turkey. Only two of our retail products currently contain gluten: Butterball® Frozen Italian Style Meatballs and Butterball® Frozen Stuffed Turkey. Our gravy has been reformulated to eliminate gluten, but certain gravy packets may still contain gluten; it will be listed on the ingredient statement. "

sora Community Regular

Tomatoes bothered me too. Then I found I could eat heirloom tomatoes from the farmer's market. The next year I grew my own and could eat those ones too. Good thing I did that because my supplier didn't return to the market that year. I don't know if it was the tomato variety, pesticides or something else.

I had the same issue with some spices where I could eat the ones I grew myself. That was easier to find out. They are easier to grow than tomatoes. Now I plan to eat rutabagas. I reacted to those from the market and I have some waiting for me in my garden.

It takes a long time and a lot of effort to grow your own or find another source to try to figure out what is bothering you. Good luck.

That is interesting, I would think pesticides too.

The only tomatoes I have had since going gluten-free were from the garden of two different people. Green ones to make chutney. I became ill and the tomatoes ripened and I ate some and was nauseous right away. I called the neighbor who got them for me and she checked with the gardeners and they said they didn't use anything on them. So, I think it is just the high acid content. I am going to try some of the heirloom low acid ones in a week or so.

I have always grown tomatoes but I don't have a place here at the new apartment. I am going to try container gardening this spring. At least Chard and Kale and some herbs.

sora Community Regular

Actually, Only 2 Butterball products contain gluten and they indicate WHEAT on labels.

From the Butterball website:

Do Butterball

IrishHeart Veteran

So, I think it is just the high acid content. I am going to try some of the heirloom low acid ones in a week or so.

I am going to try container gardening this spring. At least Chard and Kale and some herbs.

Yes, the higher acidic foods bothered me for a long time as well. Then, gradually I could eat one, then the next, and so on. Spices like ginger and turmeric were out for a while, too. I ate very plainly--and blandly--- for a long time. That was very difficult for a major foodie and gourmet cook like I am. I cried about it often, believe me. :rolleyes: I just wanted to be "normal" again :) and eat more foods. Then, in time, all was well. :)

Your GI tract is still healing, Charlotte and hopefully, in time, they will not give you any trouble. Fingers crossed!

Container gardening is a GREAT idea, especially for your cooking herbs!

Gemini Experienced

Don't forget the phone and the refrigerator handle, in addition to the remote. I have seen crumbs the size of ants on all three. And another one is furniture - big chunks of stuff in the depressions around buttons on my new leather couch...

They call me the Gluten Police. They don't bother bringing it in the house anymore....I caught my son (age 9) and his friend in my bed watching tv, eating goldfish crackers. They are alive, but barely.

I banished the eating of gluteny crumbly foods to the patio, and hands washed with soap upon re-entry.

Unless you're licking the TV remote or somehow putting it in your mouth, the odds of anyone becoming sick from that is slim to none. This is the kind of paranoia that runs rampant with this disease. With all the comtagious diseases out there like colds and flu, who routinely puts their hands in their mouths without washing them? :blink:

sora Community Regular

Unless you're licking the TV remote or somehow putting it in your mouth, the odds of anyone becoming sick from that is slim to none. This is the kind of paranoia that runs rampant with this disease. With all the comtagious diseases out there like colds and flu, who routinely puts their hands in their mouths without washing them? :blink:

I can only speak for myself but I have a wheat allergy and I touch my face a lot in a day. Rub my eyes etc. If I touch something and a crumb gets on my hand and then rub my eye well there ya go. I am working really hard at not touching my face so much.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I can only speak for myself but I have a wheat allergy and I touch my face a lot in a day. Rub my eyes etc. If I touch something and a crumb gets on my hand and then rub my eye well there ya go. I am working really hard at not touching my face so much.

Me too, except that I don't have wheat allergy to my knowledge. I don't think that it is paranoia, it is a difference in sensitivity level.

IrishHeart Veteran

A contact wheat allergy IS different, Charlotte and in your case, you could very well have a reaction. I think Gemini is referring to people who are celiacs here--citing that the dangers of ingesting gluten from a TV remote are --well, pretty remote, unless you lick it.

You are dealing with a different issue--and contact with wheat is more difficult to control when you live with WEs. As you said, they made a wheat flour pizza and you felt sick.

Hon, I hope you keep epipens around??

Archived