62 replies to this topic

#46 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

So, I think it is just the high acid content. I am going to try some of the heirloom low acid ones in a week or so.
I am going to try container gardening this spring. At least Chard and Kale and some herbs.

Yes, the higher acidic foods bothered me for a long time as well. Then, gradually I could eat one, then the next, and so on. Spices like ginger and turmeric were out for a while, too. I ate very plainly--and blandly--- for a long time. That was very difficult for a major foodie and gourmet cook like I am. I cried about it often, believe me. :rolleyes: I just wanted to be "normal" again :) and eat more foods. Then, in time, all was well. :)

Your GI tract is still healing, Charlotte and hopefully, in time, they will not give you any trouble. Fingers crossed!

Container gardening is a GREAT idea, especially for your cooking herbs!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

Don't forget the phone and the refrigerator handle, in addition to the remote. I have seen crumbs the size of ants on all three. And another one is furniture - big chunks of stuff in the depressions around buttons on my new leather couch...

They call me the Gluten Police. They don't bother bringing it in the house anymore....I caught my son (age 9) and his friend in my bed watching tv, eating goldfish crackers. They are alive, but barely.

I banished the eating of gluteny crumbly foods to the patio, and hands washed with soap upon re-entry.

Unless you're licking the TV remote or somehow putting it in your mouth, the odds of anyone becoming sick from that is slim to none. This is the kind of paranoia that runs rampant with this disease. With all the comtagious diseases out there like colds and flu, who routinely puts their hands in their mouths without washing them? :blink:

#48 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:48 AM

Unless you're licking the TV remote or somehow putting it in your mouth, the odds of anyone becoming sick from that is slim to none. This is the kind of paranoia that runs rampant with this disease. With all the comtagious diseases out there like colds and flu, who routinely puts their hands in their mouths without washing them? :blink:

I can only speak for myself but I have a wheat allergy and I touch my face a lot in a day. Rub my eyes etc. If I touch something and a crumb gets on my hand and then rub my eye well there ya go. I am working really hard at not touching my face so much.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

“Ah, but I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now

#49 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:38 AM

I can only speak for myself but I have a wheat allergy and I touch my face a lot in a day. Rub my eyes etc. If I touch something and a crumb gets on my hand and then rub my eye well there ya go. I am working really hard at not touching my face so much.

Me too, except that I don't have wheat allergy to my knowledge. I don't think that it is paranoia, it is a difference in sensitivity level.

#50 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:50 AM

A contact wheat allergy IS different, Charlotte and in your case, you could very well have a reaction. I think Gemini is referring to people who are celiacs here--citing that the dangers of ingesting gluten from a TV remote are --well, pretty remote, unless you lick it.

You are dealing with a different issue--and contact with wheat is more difficult to control when you live with WEs. As you said, they made a wheat flour pizza and you felt sick.

Hon, I hope you keep epipens around??

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#51 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

Hon, I hope you keep epipens around?

Yes, I do. And a puffer and pills.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

#52 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:13 AM

Hon, I hope you keep epipens around?

Yes, I do. And a puffer and pills.

I had to use a puffer for a while myself and my poor brother has terrible asthma, so I know how frightening it can be to gasp for breath.

Are you feeling better now, by the way?? Hope so.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#53 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:21 AM

I had to use a puffer for a while myself and my poor brother has terrible asthma, so I know how frightening it can be to gasp for breath.

Are you feeling better now, by the way?? Hope so.

Yes I am. So far I am having a good day. The sun is shining and everything is white from the snow, it's so pretty.
I think you are close so must be about the same there?

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

#54 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:25 AM

Yes I am. So far I am having a good day. The sun is shining and everything is white from the snow, it's so pretty.
I think you are close so must be about the same there?

No snow here! None. Zip. Nada. weird....After last year, this is a miracle!! :lol:

So glad you are feeling better--maybe your de-crumbing efforts have helped knock down the exposure :)

Stay well!!!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#55 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

AHA!

Now that you have added WHEAT allergy and chemical sensitivity to your signature line---some of the advice regarding "gut healing" and celiac CC issues may have seemed inappropriate/unhelpful to you. No wonder you had to keep clarifying things for us! :) Now we get it!

So you are not a celiac, then? But you do have some GI problems?

I hope you are feeling better since the last posting!
Cheers,
IH

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#56 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:11 AM

AHA!

Now that you have added WHEAT allergy and chemical sensitivity to your signature line---some of the advice regarding "gut healing" and celiac CC issues may have seemed inappropriate/unhelpful to you. No wonder you had to keep clarifying things for us! :) Now we get it!

So you are not a celiac, then? But you do have some GI problems?

I hope you are feeling better since the last posting!
Cheers,
IH

Yes, I thought it would help if I put that info in the signature.

I have been thinking about allergy and celiac this week, thinking to post some questions when I got them sorted in my head.
My first Doc appt. she wanted me to get tested for Celiac. I said I don't have that, it's an allergy. Besides I would rather put a gun to my head than eat wheat again. :(

Now as I read this board I can look back and see some things that make me think I may be Celiac too.
I have had more gut issues since going gluten-free and wondered if it was just the adjustment of diet or a new major awareness of how I react and feel.
I also look back and realize every symptom I had I put down to aging or stress, short term memory loss, pot belly, itchy head etc.
I also have had migraines since childhood and what my family called sensitivities. I could only use Dove soap, others would dry my skin and cause itch. Lots of little things like that.
I am brain foggy at the moment so I want to take some notes and then I can come back with some questions.
Generally I am feeling better but I did get a reaction at the grocery store the other day, not bad though.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

#57 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:57 AM

Besides I would rather put a gun to my head than eat wheat again. :(

Now as I read this board I can look back and see some things that make me think I may be Celiac too.
I have had more gut issues since going gluten-free and wondered if it was just the adjustment of diet or a new major awareness of how I react and feel.
I also look back and realize every symptom I had I put down to aging or stress, short term memory loss, pot belly, itchy head etc.
I also have had migraines since childhood and what my family called sensitivities. I could only use Dove soap, others would dry my skin and cause itch. Lots of little things like that.
I am brain foggy at the moment so I want to take some notes and then I can come back with some questions.
Generally I am feeling better but I did get a reaction at the grocery store the other day, not bad though.

Well, those are some celiac/gluten symptoms for sure.

You may need to avoid rye and barley and all gluten derivatives too. Not just wheat.

Just a thought. :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#58 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

Well, those are some celiac/gluten symptoms for sure.

You may need to avoid rye and barley and all gluten derivatives too. Not just wheat.

Just a thought. :)

Oh I have. I am fully gluten-free. It's is too hard to just avoid wheat. I have not even had oats since the beginning, can't find any gluten-free oats yet. Corn meal either so I am just using gluten-free corn flour for tortillas .
I have started a list and will keep adding as I remember things and come up with questions.
Thanks IH.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

#59 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:21 AM

Oh I have. I am fully gluten-free. It's is too hard to just avoid wheat. I have not even had oats since the beginning, can't find any gluten-free oats yet. Corn meal either so I am just using gluten-free corn flour for tortillas .
I have started a list and will keep adding as I remember things and come up with questions.
Thanks IH.

Glutenfreeda makes gluten-free oats.

also,

http://www.glutenfreeoats.com/

Some will disagree with this suggestion( because they say BRM makes them react) but Bob's Red Mill makes gluten-free Oats and Corn meal.

Nutsonline has gluten-free corn grits. Both have gluten-free dedicated facilities and I have no issues with them.

Avoid buying them from bulk bins like at health food stores; that's not a good idea. Too much CC.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#60 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

Glutenfreeda makes gluten-free oats.

also,

http://www.glutenfreeoats.com/

Some will disagree with this suggestion( because they say BRM makes them react) but Bob's Red Mill makes gluten-free Oats and Corn meal.

Nutsonline has gluten-free corn grits. Both have gluten-free dedicated facilities and I have no issues with them.

Avoid buying them from bulk bins like at health food stores; that's not a good idea. Too much CC.

Thanks for this info, I will check it out.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: