Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

A Little Gross, Sorry. But, Anyone React With....

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 salexander421

salexander421

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

Anyone react to gluten by passing globs of mucous streaked with blood?
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

Yoiks. sounds a bit scary. Any constipation, hemorrhoid possibility? The mucous is perfectly normal. Is the blood bright red (more likely hemorrhoidal) or dark?
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

Yoiks. sounds a bit scary. Any constipation, hemorrhoid possibility? The mucous is perfectly normal. Is the blood bright red (more likely hemorrhoidal) or dark?

No constipation or hemorrhoid's to speak of, not really regular but still going. I've seen the mucous before but never streaked with blood so it kinda freaked me out. It is bright red though. With the holidays this week I have not been very careful about my eating (still eating gluten free but have eaten gluten free stuff I normally avoid and also have eaten gluten free cookies prepared by my sister in law...typically don't even eat Gluten-Free that others have prepared) so it definitely comes at a time when my diet is not what it should be. I've just never thought this to be a typical celiac symptom, am I wrong?
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

#4 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:43 PM

I did eat some ghirrardelli (spelling?) chocolate chips which I know are supposed to be gluten free but do say "may contain dairy". I have an issue with dairy that is quite possibly an allergy, could a dairy allergy cause this? I know my daughter had blood and mucous from dairy as a baby but not sure if this happens in adults too, it seems pretty common with babies who have food issues.

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

About.com states that blood along with the mucous can be caused by Crohn's or ulcerative colitis, but I think I would more likely put it down to holiday eating. If it persists much longer get to your doctor and talk to him about it.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:55 PM

About.com states that blood along with the mucous can be caused by Crohn's or ulcerative colitis, but I think I would more likely put it down to holiday eating. If it persists much longer get to your doctor and talk to him about it.

Thanks for all your help! Yeah, that's pretty much what I've read too but I would think if it were Crohn's or UC it wouldn't respond quickly to dietary change so I'll wait it out for a few days...getting back to normal eating as of today so we'll see how it goes. I'm guessing it goes away in a couple days :) Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: