This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac, Crohns, And SIBO =0(

ScarlettsMommy

ScarlettsMommy Explorer

Well a few weeks ago I got diagnosed with Celiac Disease, Crohns Disease, AND SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial overgrowth) Im still pretty overwhelmed and still sick. I have been eating gluten free, and still feel sick, so I dont know if this whole time it was that making me sick or the SiBo. Im on my second round of antibiotics for the SIBO, (b/c the first months worth didnt do anything), and I just started taking Acidodiphilus chewables to boost things along. I am waiting on my bloodwork results so I can start the 6MP for my Crohns. I just need somewhere to vent, b/c having all 3 of these things I dont know which one is actually making me feel like something is rotting in my stomach. I am young...only 24 and have a 2 year old and married, and I feel like my life is already ruined b/c of my stomach. Is there anyone on this board who has these problems? Or at least both crohns and celiac? I need help determining why I feel sick still...I want to be able to have a normal life again and start working again. I cant b/c Im still sick everyday it seems to my stomach.

Thanks for lending me your ears =0)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

stanleymonkey Explorer

my hubby has crohns and daughter has celiac. I've seen how miserable it makes them both, once you get rid of the bacterial overgrowth hopefully you'll be able to concentrate in eating the right things to help your hut heal. My hubby had a bowel resection at 15 and had his gallbladder removed a year ago. If you do what the gastro says and dieticians regarding diet you should feel better. When my hubby eats what's is supposed to he never gets flare ups. I know it seems like the end of the world right now, but at leastyou know now rather than 20 yrs further down the line, and you'll be able to start healing and get on with a happy healthy life

sending lots of hugs - been up so many nights with either my hubby or daughter in pain it's hard enough to watch I can't imagine going through it every day

• 2 weeks later...
Syl Rookie

Well a few weeks ago I got diagnosed with Celiac Disease, Crohns Disease, AND SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial overgrowth) Im still pretty overwhelmed and still sick. I have been eating gluten free, and still feel sick, so I dont know if this whole time it was that making me sick or the SiBo. Im on my second round of antibiotics for the SIBO, (b/c the first months worth didnt do anything), and I just started taking Acidodiphilus chewables to boost things along. I am waiting on my bloodwork results so I can start the 6MP for my Crohns. I just need somewhere to vent, b/c having all 3 of these things I dont know which one is actually making me feel like something is rotting in my stomach. I am young...only 24 and have a 2 year old and married, and I feel like my life is already ruined b/c of my stomach. Is there anyone on this board who has these problems? Or at least both crohns and celiac? I need help determining why I feel sick still...I want to be able to have a normal life again and start working again. I cant b/c Im still sick everyday it seems to my stomach.

I feel your pain Scarlett. Although I was diagnosed with Celiac's disease a year and a half ago, I too have continued to suffer the complications of the disease. I've also been dealing with SIBO along with a newly diagnosed Lyme's disease as well. I'm also only 25 years old myself and understand how rough it is when you once felt healthy, but now so sick. I know just how you feel, and often times it's hard not to just give up, but there's always a light at the end of the tunnel! Adhering to a diet that your body can tolerate is the best advice I could possibly give you. If you're not already following the SCD diet (Simple Carbohydrate Diet) then I would recommend you check it out at: Open Original Shared Link

You can also check out: Open Original Shared Link This is Dr. Siebecker's website, someone who has dedicated much of her profession to treating SIBO. Knowledge is the key to dealing with SIBO, Celiac's, and then some. I would also try to find a support group in your area and lean on you friends and loved ones when you feel down. This forum is also always a great place to find those who are in the same boat of you and can offer great advice.

I wish you well and hope that you find the strength to get through this!

This diet is crucial in recovering from SIBO and would most certainly help both Celiac's and Crohns as well.

domesticactivist Collaborator

I'm sorry you are feeling so sick. :( Have you looked into the GAPS diet? It is based on the SCD mentioned above but has more of a focus on probiotic foods and has a phased approach. I (and others) have posted tons about it on here and elsewhere. Definitely check it out as it is aimed at correcting the imbalance of gut flora as well as "healing and sealing" the gut.

• 5 weeks later...
Carebear Apprentice

I'm so sorry to hear you're overwhelmed!!! I was diagnosed 3 months ago, and I definitely understand all the stresses with changing your diet and still feeling ill. I'm celiac, and my husband has crohns, so we eat a low residue gluten-free diet when we eat together (which is pretty much always). I still feel sick often, as I'm finding I react to other things that are not the "typical" gluten grains. The family of grains that contain the "bad" glutens also include cane sugar, corn, and rice (Open Original Shared Link) . I can only have white rice and potatoes without experiencing awful symptoms.

Some advice from a celiac (me): Watch other grains, fructose (after I am glutened I become fructose intolerant for a week or so), and DAIRY (both the lactose and casein can cause reactions). Also "gluten free" does not really mean anything - for example, gluten free chex are made on shared lines and make me so sick! I eat a lot of eggs, tofu, and peeled, cooked veggies. Also, peanut butter ;) And I make my own bread mix and bread - it's super quick once you get a routine! Hang in there!

Some advice from a "crohnie" (the hubbie): Once I went on a low residue diet, it took about 3 months for the joint pain and the constant gut pain to die down. Buy an electric steamer - saves loads of time! I am also lactose intolerant, and I feel better eating gluten free anyway.

Ginger7 Rookie

I'm sorry to hear this and you must be overwhelmed. You might also start tracking your food, symptoms and bowels. There is a neat app called GIMonitor, it's free. It tracks and graphs your symptoms, plus it has a social button. They refer to it as ButtBook, instead of FB. You might find great support from here and there. It's nice to find a forum where you can't possibly gross anyone out and rather they want to listen and help. I believe you can get everything under control. It will take time, give your body time to heal. Just like after having a baby, it takes awhile to recover. Your intestines didn't get this way overnight. Start simple with foods, don't make it a lot of work and try to rest, though I'm sure that's tough (I have 3 kids myself, 8, 2 and 5 months)!

livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

I don't have Chron's but I have a close friend that does. I can relate to feeling like life is getting ruined by all these symptoms and issues. You will really find out who you're friends are through this- I have one who makes me feel like dirt anytime I can't make a social engagement because I've been accidentally glutened and then on the other hand a few who did a ton of reading and research and then cooked a dinner geared for me soni wouldn't feel left out. I don't have much to offer in helping you differentiate your symptoms but definitely don't underestimate the effect that antibiotics themselves have on making you feel like garbage!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

heidi g. Contributor

Antibiotics is what triggered my stupid disease. I feel like crap constantly as well so I know how you feel. I had ulcerative colitis when I was younger so I can imagine the crohns pain and celiac sickness on top of it. I feel like my world is over because I can't finish school in this condition. To top it off I have an over hyper 3 year old. And when you feel like puking your guts out its not easy keeping up with him. Someone I know has crohns and they said the best thing to eat to calm and heal your tummy is white rice. Rice and steamed vegetables barely affect me in just so bad at keeping up eating it. I always end up eating stupid chips it something and suffer all day. Sometimes life is unfair and you never really get to choose your events in life. You only choose how to handle them. I accept that I'm meant to feel like garbage all the time but I won't let it stop me from enjoying my life. I guess if I have to go to school feeling like this than so be it. I'm going to keep trying to find a way to manage my symptoms. I'm 21 and young too :( suffering only makes you stronger. It will be bring you down but you can always get back up!

Archived