Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Question?

3 posts in this topic

Question:

If someone is not celiac, or gluten-sensitive or intolerant, and goes off of gluten for a month and then eats gluten and has a reaction, is that indicative of some level of intolerance? Or would a 'normal' person have a reaction just due to the reintroduction of a different type of food?

I am in the process of self-diagnosis...don't have good health insurance nor the income to support co-pays. Two years ago I went gluten-free for about 9 months and then went on vacation and ate gluten...convincing myself I didn't have an issue. After the gluten-filled meal I awoke in the middle of the night with horrible stomach cramps and GI problems. I went gluten-free again for two months and then gave up.

Now I am gluten-free for a month. I think I feel a little better but I'm just not sure. I guess my question is...would a normal person have a reaction after a period of abstinence? Or just someone with intolerance/sensitivity or celiac?

Ads by Google:

Question:

If someone is not celiac, or gluten-sensitive or intolerant, and goes off of gluten for a month and then eats gluten and has a reaction, is that indicative of some level of intolerance?

Those who don't have an issue with gluten can stop and start eating it again and again with no problems.

By dropping it and then adding it back in you are doing a challenge. Your having a reaction is indicitive of a problem with gluten and is part of the diagnostic picture.

Those who don't have an issue with gluten can stop and start eating it again and again with no problems.

By dropping it and then adding it back in you are doing a challenge. Your having a reaction is indicitive of a problem with gluten and is part of the diagnostic picture.

Thank-you! That is what I thought but just wasn't sure!