Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

gluten-free Morning Sickness Solutions

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any suggestions for morning sickness? Obviously, saltines are out, but I'm not sure what good alternatives would be.

Thank you!

Jen

Ads by Google:

Saltines are a kind of crappy solution anyway. They just spike your blood sugar, which is more sensitive during pregnancy anyway.

Ginger (tea, straight, capsules, candy) can help. Licorice can help, but be careful as it can raise blood pressure, even without very large doses. (For some of us with low blood pressure duringr pregnancy, this can be a useful thing. For those prone to high blood pressure, a very bad thing!)

Raspberry leaf and nettle leaf can be good and make a great tea, especially when combined with rose hips (vitamin C!) and hibiscus. (Some women prefer to wait until after the first trimester for raspberry leaf tea. This is partly due to the misunderstanding that raspberry leaf can induce uterine contractions. Many people do not avoid it in the first trimester.)

Eating frequented, small meals that are not too carb heavy is VITAL. Protein in every snack, and no avoiding fats either. (I practically lived on avocados and eggs during my first trimester.)

Consider not having water during meals, and keep the water cool or tepid, but not cold.

Some prenatal vitamins can make it worse, especially iron, so you might look into changing supplements you are taking or find different food sources.

Also, acupuncture has helped many people I know (including myself) with prenatal nausea (and other complaints).

I had awful morning sickness for the first 3-4 months of my pregnancy. I was not gluten-free at that point, but crackers never worked for me anyway. What did help was chewing on gum, sucking on hard candy- especially peppermint. A coworker told me that when she was going through chemo her doctor told her to suck on peppermint candy for the nausea, so I tried it and it worked! My midwife also suggested carrying slices of fresh lemons in a ziploc bag and smelling them when nausea hit- I never tried it, but she said that something about the scent can help. I ended up being put on a medication my pharmacy makes- it was a combo of a sleeping pill and a vitamin (I think B6 or B12). It didn't make me tired, but that in combination with Zofran helped a lot.

Also- try experimenting with the time of day you take your prenatal. Taking mine in the evening also helped as opposed to the morning.

Ice chips. They work for morning sickness and regular stomach bugs too.

Ginger really works for me. Even just smelling fresh ginger makes my stomach feel so much better. Sometimes, I just put some fresh ginger in hot water and sip that really slowly. (BTW, when I'm not preggers, ginger is completely unappealing to me, lol.)

Sea bands helped me.

And apples. Every color, variety.... I have no idea why but apples still help me when I'm sick at my stomach.

Ginger worked for me too. I ate crystallized ginger right out of the bottle.

Does anyone have any suggestions for morning sickness? Obviously, saltines are out, but I'm not sure what good alternatives would be.

Thank you!

Jen

I ate salty gluten-free corn tortilla chips and real lemonade in front of a fan or cold AC. Oranges helped too. Avacados are great, too.

I've been reading that sucking on a sour candy or hard candy can help. I'm going to try it. My nausea is at its worst today!!

I hate ginger, even while preggers! Sharp cheese seems to work, as well as cranberry juice and sprite. Any other healthier suggestions? Apples help sometimes, and I put peanut butter on apple slices when I can stomach the p.b.

I haven't had avocado yet, think I might try that :)

Starbright hard peppermint candy was my emergency morning sickness treatement. I kept as stash at work, in the car, in my purse. They work really well for a quick fix! I used sea bands as well and I think that helped some as well.

For some reason during my last pregnancy I had the worst heartburn and nausea. No word of a lie the only thing that made my mornig sickness go away was the combination of orange juice and japaneo smokies. Weird but it worked for me :P