6 replies to this topic

#1 newyorkyankz

newyorkyankz

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

I saw posts about the Food for life corn tortillas and people being gluten-ed, but I just ate a gluten free brown rice one and now have a horrible stomach ache and D. The only thing I ate today was an apple and a banana so I am pretty confident that it has to be this tortilla. I was just curious if anyone else has had any issues w/ these?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

I saw posts about the Food for life corn tortillas and people being gluten-ed, but I just ate a gluten free brown rice one and now have a horrible stomach ache and D. The only thing I ate today was an apple and a banana so I am pretty confident that it has to be this tortilla. I was just curious if anyone else has had any issues w/ these?

I eat the FFL rice tortillas at least once every other day. I've never had reactions to those. I'm VERY sensitive to gluten (and my other 6 diagnosed delayed reaction allergies). 1-3 bites of something with my allergens will give me 2 weeks of gut pain, bloating and indigestion. Gluten gives me excruciating gut pain. However, I've never had any of those reaction symptoms after eating the FFL rice tortillas.

Delayed reaction allergens (like gluten) are difficult to pinpoint. What we eat may not cause obvious symptoms for 24-72 hours after ingestion. Sometimes I don't think I'm reacting at all, because the symptoms are so subtle. However 48-72 hours later I begin to experience more severe pain and reaction symptoms. So I need to consider everything I ate during the past few days, unless I have a label which tells me that I consumed one of my allergens.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 GFM

GFM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

I found some information on glutenfreewatchdog.org that you may be interested in. The tortillas mentioned were tested and there was a product alert.

http://glutenfreewat...g/blog.php?id=7

#4 newyorkyankz

newyorkyankz

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:43 PM

Thank you for showing me this, i was going to paste what they said, but apparently that is not allowed ..

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:23 AM

I don't eat anything from Food for Life. I haven't trusted them since they labeled spelt bread as "wheat free" a few years back. Someone on the board figured out that they were using barley-treated water in some of the tortillas that were labeled gluten-free. The response when they wrote the company about undeclared gluten was very rude and dismissive. You may be able to find that thread on the board.

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

I used to eat their tortillas but not anymore. I had bought their bread a few time a while back. The first time I had no reaction. The next time I bought a loaf and ate it I got glutened, and not just a little bit glutened. So you might get lucky and get a product from them that is fine. Or you might not. I decided no more for me.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#7 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:06 PM

http://www.celiac.co...corn-tortillas/

They seemed confused about what was gluten-free and what wasn't. The website at the time listed things under gluten-free that were not. They were taken off part of the website but still made to look like they were gluten-free. I loved those rice tortillas. I would make super thin crust pizzas on them. I don't eat them any more after my correspondence with the company. I keep hoping they will get thier act together...... :unsure:

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: