12 replies to this topic

#1 Elizabeth5220

Elizabeth5220

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:59 PM

I was at my brother's for Christmas weekend and his well-meaning wife told me that Bugles corn chips were gluten-free. As her father has been gluten-free for over a decade and she is familiar with gluten-free lifestyle, I trusted her. She even made me Betty Crocker gluten-free brownies.

So I just went grocery shopping and picked up a bag of Bugles at the store to read the ingredients and....NOOOOOOO!! They contain wheat flour. So all week long I did not eat all of the gluten filled goodies only to eat stupid Bugles and be glutened!!!

Lesson: Do not eat anything that I don't personally read the ingredients.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

You are so correct. Some people say they follow the diet very strict but then they cheat! Just crazy... I just ran into a person today who said there sister is gluten-free & is very good about it because she works in a doctor's office & knows all ther is to know....yeah, right I then find out she eats gluten foods all the time but it doesn't bother her so she's okay with some gluten.. She is dx'd celiac. I almost blew up & wanted to scream...
These type of things annoy me so much... Pure insane smart people....

#3 Booghead

Booghead

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

:P If you didn't get sick no big deal, just this once.

My friend and her sister are both dx celiac. My friend has no symptoms so she frequentyl cheats (every week) her sister who is deathly ill when eating gluten also cheats "but not as much".

LOL it's not my place to tell them how to live.

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

The only people they are cheating is themselves - their health. Why should we care (except of course that it makes others believe everyone can - and should, just this once :P )
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

Some of the Bugles flavors do not contain gluten. They are not labeled "gluten free".
Michigan

#6 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

I have never found any bugle that was gluten-free...not even the plain one...are you sure it is bugle's that you seen gluten-free????

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

I have never found any bugle that was gluten-free...not even the plain one...are you sure it is bugle's that you seen gluten-free????

Nor have I. They used to be my favorites. :(
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#8 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

I ate them about 3 months ago. They were chocolate (maybe some peanut butter) with a lot of powdered sugar, I can't remember what the flavor was listed as. I had a small handfull and put them out for guests at a party. I did not get sick and I try to read labels all the time (especially with something that I don't usually eat).
Michigan

#9 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

I just went to General Mills & the choc.peanut butter bugle says it may contain wheat in the ingredient list...the original states may contain milk & wheat...

I used to really like these too but I don't think I would eat them...

#10 Elizabeth5220

Elizabeth5220

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:34 AM

:P If you didn't get sick no big deal, just this once.

My friend and her sister are both dx celiac. My friend has no symptoms so she frequentyl cheats (every week) her sister who is deathly ill when eating gluten also cheats "but not as much".

LOL it's not my place to tell them how to live.

The thing is, I think I did get sick. I felt nauseous most of the weekend and a little feverish--also I very cranky and mentally dull. I thought it was the flu but now wonder....

My thought on cheating...hypertension is a very dangerous disease that has few if any symptoms until you die of a stroke or heart attack. If you are dx celiac and don't follow a gluten-free diet, just because you don't have symptoms does not mean that you are not doing damage and will ultimately cause serious problems...

#11 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:34 AM

some people just don't care enough about themselves, and don't attribute their headaches, join pain, high cholesterol, weight problems, and brain fog to eating gluten. They figure they don't get gut pain, so they're ok. It's their choice.

#12 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

It's funny because my Uncle called me the other day and said he wanted to send our family some cookies. Then he thought about me and didn't want to tempt me. I told him I wouldn't be tempted at all and that I felt so much better gluten free that I wasn't about to ruin that. I told him hubby and my son would enjoy the cookies.

I don't think he truly got it until he was having Christmas Eve dinner with my cousin, who is also diagnosed. He said said she explained it all to him in detail about eating gluten free has made such a big difference in her health. I think a light bulb came on for him.

Personally, I'm still fighting so hard not to get accidentally glutened that I'm not even remotely interested in doing it on purpose.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#13 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

I agree: Either I read the label myself or I make it myself before I eat it...the risk is too great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: