This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Burning Skin

Andrew10

Andrew10 Newbie

Hi,

Ive had burning on my whole back and my arms and also my shoulders. Do you think this can be from celiac and or gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Yes, Celiac can cause burning sensations on the skin. Other things can too. If it is the skin form of Celiac called Dermatitis Herpetiformis one often has the burning sensation before the rash breaks out in the area that is affected. Have you ever gotten a rash? Or hive-like reaction? or watery blisters? or mosquito bite like lesions? If so you might consider DH. But I do know of one Celiac who gets the burning skin sensations without any rash. Hopefully she will post.

Andrew10 Newbie

Yes, Celiac can cause burning sensations on the skin. Other things can too. If it is the skin form of Celiac called Dermatitis Herpetiformis one often has the burning sensation before the rash breaks out in the area that is affected. Have you ever gotten a rash? Or hive-like reaction? or watery blisters? or mosquito bite like lesions? If so you might consider DH. But I do know of one Celiac who gets the burning skin sensations without any rash. Hopefully she will post.

I get the burning skin sensation without any visible rashes. Is this rare or do you think it can be caused from anxiety or something else?

ciamarie Rookie

It's also possible that it's a reaction to something else. Anything from your bath soap / shampoo or conditioner to something you ate, or additives in something you ate. I'd suspect there would be more than 1 symptom if it were celiac. You might want to look at anything new in your environment or something you ate up to 24-48 hours before the burning sensation. I know for me, I get itchy but not much of a burning sensation with DH.

twe0708 Community Regular

Hi,

Ive had burning on my whole back and my arms and also my shoulders. Do you think this can be from celiac and or gluten.

I've had burning skin too, but no rash. Mine is on my left calf and feels as if I burned my calf or scraped it. There isn't anything to see, just the burning. Not sure if it's related to peripheral neuropathy.

curlyfries Contributor

I used to get a burning sensation on my forearm, and as others have said, no visible symptoms. I think it was one of my many symptoms of celiac, although it never seemed to happen if I was accidentally glutened. I can't remember the last time it occurred, so I feel that I have finally healed from that and other issues I was dealing with in the beginning.

IrishHeart Veteran

. But I do know of one Celiac who gets the burning skin sensations without any rash. Hopefully she will post.

well, I guess --since Eatmeat4good and I are friends---that would be me!

I suffered horrible burning sensations from my scalp to my toes. EVERYWHERE.

I felt like I was on fire.

It is not caused by anxiety--it is a histamine response from celiac. My new GI doc tells me anything can happen with celiac.

No one could tell me what it was. (neurologists, dermatologists, allergists, etc) I was also red (like I had a sunburn ) and I had a burning face. (I was tested repeatedly, it was not lupus,MS etc.) I had several neurological issues as a result of gluten, but they are resolving.

It was this burning that "got my attention" back in Feb. 2008 and the first indicator that something was going very, very wrong inside me. I had other health problems and gastro symptoms prior to that but "lived with them"...Dozens of symptoms developed after that, and it took nearly 3 years to be DXed. I figured it out myself.

The burning has tamped down a bit, but it is extremely uncomfortable and is worse if I am accidentally glutened. I also had small red blistery sores on my scalp and itchy skin, my scalp peeled and was bright red, but that has all diminished now. The doctor said it is not DH, but almost like a pre-cursor to it.

The burning is still with me, but it is less --and others on here have told me that it disappeared eventually---but it took some time. I remain hopeful that it will go away as my gut heals and the celiac goes into remission. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 months later...
jobwabe Rookie

I have had burning sensations now for about 2 years. Originally started on the bottoms of both feet. Then that stops and the top of both my feet as well as both my shins will start burning. As that stops, I get the same sensations on both my thighs, then when that ends, on both my forearms, then later on the front and back of my trunk. The first time, this cycle ended with a rash on my back as well as my stomach and some on chest. But as I have again cycled through this same scenario, it ends with little or no rash. My sensitivity to outdoor heat has changed for the worst as of late as I'll get lethargic and feeling ill at temps in the 90s even with me being at rest in the shade on the hot day! Been to Rheumatologist to test for all that he knows but with no negative results. Thyroid tests well. Oh well, am getting a bit used to the heat sensations by now.

Di2011 Enthusiast

I have had burning sensations now for about 2 years. Originally started on the bottoms of both feet. Then that stops and the top of both my feet as well as both my shins will start burning. As that stops, I get the same sensations on both my thighs, then when that ends, on both my forearms, then later on the front and back of my trunk. The first time, this cycle ended with a rash on my back as well as my stomach and some on chest. But as I have again cycled through this same scenario, it ends with little or no rash. My sensitivity to outdoor heat has changed for the worst as of late as I'll get lethargic and feeling ill at temps in the 90s even with me being at rest in the shade on the hot day! Been to Rheumatologist to test for all that he knows but with no negative results. Thyroid tests well. Oh well, am getting a bit used to the heat sensations by now.

Hi jobwabe, this is a pretty old thread but since you are relatively new I thought I'd respond to your post.

As suggested earlier this burning is very (perhaps even universal) common in us that suffer from Dermatitis Herpetiformis (DH). You might want to go to the DH thread. You'll get lots of useful advice there. We also tend to be super sensitive to any eaten or topical gluten so we also tend to keep an eye on the 'Super Sensitive' threads.

Welcome.. I hope you get some helpful advice and support here.

missy'smom Collaborator

I am latex(natural rubber) allergic and spandex burns my skin. No jeans, bras etc. with spandex for me anymore. I have to search out 100% cotton with no elastic straps, bands etc.

MichelleD Newbie

A week after i stopped eating gluten, I ate sweet potato fries and my arms face and head were burning and itchy and my eyes started watering. I took benedryl and the itching stopped. I looked into DH, I do have a rash on my back but it does not have blisters so I'm not sure if it's that. I have had this reaction 2 more times (now my tongue swells too) The only link I can find is eating gluten without knowing (happens alot after salad, so not using dressing anymore)

benXX Rookie

I found that using baby powder soothes the skin.

Beware not to use the so called cooling powder or Prickly Heat though, as that will drive you insane.

Ben

(Still trying to figure out how to insert my signature text)

missy'smom Collaborator

A week after i stopped eating gluten, I ate sweet potato fries and my arms face and head were burning and itchy and my eyes started watering. I took benedryl and the itching stopped. I looked into DH, I do have a rash on my back but it does not have blisters so I'm not sure if it's that. I have had this reaction 2 more times (now my tongue swells too) The only link I can find is eating gluten without knowing (happens alot after salad, so not using dressing anymore)

You should check the oils in the dressing and fries and see if they have something in common. I react to soy and sunflower oils(allergy).

Di2011 Enthusiast

Sounds like classic allergy reactions. Tongue swelling is a bit scary. If you haven't already you MUST get allergy testing done. Tongue swelling is often a pre-cursor to restricted throat and death.. may sound a bit dramatic but the reality is it can kill. I have what appears to be intolerance and wheat allergy (but my allergy reaction is much milder than yours). The intolerance tends to maim and kill in the medium-long term but your allergy reaction to something you need to get sorted out ASAP.

benXX Rookie

...Tongue swelling is a bit scary...

To take out some of the drama: Tongue swelling is also a very common reaction to MSG.

missy'smom Collaborator

To take out some of the drama: Tongue swelling is also a very common reaction to MSG.

Not too much drama I think. No need to panic, certainly, be calm and be wise and follow up with an allergist and testing. What was described are classic allergy reaction and the poster reported multiple symptoms and reaction multiple times. Anaphylaxis can start in ways we don't generally hear about and would not expect. Allergies can progress. I have an epi-pen. Never had to use it so far. Scares me but I am glad to have it since my allergies have progressed in ways I didn't expect. Things can turn and suprize us but our bodies often give us some warning signs. I don't mind "wasting" the $35 copay the last 2 years.

MichelleD Newbie

I did have a food allergy panel run and am waiting for the results. The soy oil is a good possibility since It happened with salad as well, I will check my salad dressings. I eat tons of sunflower seeds watching my kids play sports, will have to keep an eye on that as well. Thanks for the help =)

Archived