14 replies to this topic

#1 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

Campbell's Canned Chicken Broth- The ingredients look safe, but because most Campbells soups have gluten in them I never buy it. However, I'm sick and a friend brought me this brand. I googled trying to find out if it is safe or if anyone has had problems. It doesn't appear to be on Campbell's gluten free list. Only the Swanson brand is. So I'm a bit confused. I hate to trust it since so many of their products have gluten that it surely must be made on lines that process gluten ingredients. Just being careful. I really want to use it since I'm sick.

Anyone?
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 UntchElliotNess

UntchElliotNess

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

Campbell's Canned Chicken Broth- The ingredients look safe, but because most Campbells soups have gluten in them I never buy it. However, I'm sick and a friend brought me this brand. I googled trying to find out if it is safe or if anyone has had problems. It doesn't appear to be on Campbell's gluten free list. Only the Swanson brand is. So I'm a bit confused. I hate to trust it since so many of their products have gluten that it surely must be made on lines that process gluten ingredients. Just being careful. I really want to use it since I'm sick.

Anyone?

I use chicken bouillion cubes and make a stock from scratch with no problems. Good luck!
My life is a constant sink of dirty dishes.

Gluten Free since 2009 and never looked back

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,794 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:01 AM

Call this number:

1-800-TRY-SOUP

You should be able to get the answer from them. Personally since it is not on their gluten-free list I would not use it.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:08 AM

You have to be careful with chicken bouillon cubes, too. When I was first diagnosed and cleaned out my pantry, I had a jar of chicken bouillon cubes that had wheat in them, which I donated to a food drive. HerbOx is gluten-free and says so on the label.

There are several canned or boxed chicken broths that are gluten-free and include Pacific Natural Foods, Progresso and Kitchen Basics. I just bought some from Food Lion, who now has My Essentials as their store brand, and it says gluten-free right on the label. There may be others but I always read the label.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#5 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:09 AM

Anyone?

I think the regular flavor has hydrolyzed wheat gluten in it. Do you have the regular? Or the low sodium?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:57 AM

Campbells soup ingredients are different in different countries.

I haven't used it or Swanson's in years because even the low sodium is not realy low sodium. Kitchen basics regular has less sodium.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#7 collgwg

collgwg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:12 AM

my body rejects any of thoes canned soups due to the soy sodium and gluten

just listen to your body if you eat anything or drink anything and your body says nay nay then say away :)

#8 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

You guys are great!!!

I always use Kitchen Basics and love it.

Jestgar-The canned chicken broth I have from Campbells is the low sodium kind.
No gluten ingredients but it isn't on their gluten free list so I am going to assume shared lines and donate it to the food bank.

Thanks everyone! And thanks for the number Ravenwood!

It just doesn't make sense to take a chance..I'm dealing with a cold and I don't want to make it worse by glutening myself. I need to start buying Kitchen Basics by the case so I don't run out. ;)

I knew you guys could help!!
--Hippocrates

#9 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

Have you tried Better than Bouillon? It is a very thick paste that comes in jars and is actually made with chicken so it is meatier than other commercial broths/stocks I have tried. Many of their flavours are gluten free such as beef and maybe even the lobster. There are several gluten-free flavours.

Just another option. Looks like you have many other great suggestions, though! :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#10 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

I like your suggestion though, and I will try to find that. It sounds great! I know you are in Canada right? I hope we have it in the US!
--Hippocrates

#11 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

I like your suggestion though, and I will try to find that. It sounds great! I know you are in Canada right? I hope we have it in the US!

I've seen Better than Bouillon at my local Wally World as well as other grocery stores so you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding it.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#12 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

Oh cool! Thank you! And just to update you all about how careful I was not to ingest gluten and avoided the canned chicken broth. I then proceeded to gluten myself by eating Palmer's chocolate peanut clusters. No gluten ingredients. Says may contain tree nuts or peanuts. (which I took to mean would not contain traces of wheat) Not True! Um anyway, I ate them and felt really lousy and googled and Palmer's site says all of their candy is processed in a facility that process wheat products. Damn! I can't win. Now nauseous, tired, depressed, and achy and my DH sores are reacting and burning. I E-mailed them to ask why that nice label on their site was not on the bag. Wow.

But at least it wasn't the chicken broth. I'm sticking to Dove Chocolate from now on.
--Hippocrates

#13 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,803 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

I just wanted to add, as Karen did, that Campbell's US and Campbells' Canada , have a very different gluten free listing. Canada gets more,the US gets SQUAT! B)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#14 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

Oh cool! Thank you! And just to update you all about how careful I was not to ingest gluten and avoided the canned chicken broth. I then proceeded to gluten myself by eating Palmer's chocolate peanut clusters. No gluten ingredients. Says may contain tree nuts or peanuts. (which I took to mean would not contain traces of wheat) Not True! Um anyway, I ate them and felt really lousy and googled and Palmer's site says all of their candy is processed in a facility that process wheat products. Damn! I can't win. Now nauseous, tired, depressed, and achy and my DH sores are reacting and burning. I E-mailed them to ask why that nice label on their site was not on the bag. Wow.

But at least it wasn't the chicken broth. I'm sticking to Dove Chocolate from now on.

Oh, darn it. Companies with that labeling really concerns me - I see that here, too. Those dummies! :angry:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#15 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,074 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

In Canada, Campbell's will clearly disclose any gluten ingredient by naming the grain in the ingredients list. Products which do not list such an ingredient are likely safe for most of us. The products that are labeled Gluten-Free in Canada are subject to additional controls and testing.

In Canada, the Campbell Soup Company has an ongoing project to review and revise their ingredients to reduce salt and to eliminate gluten where possible. To protect his privacy, I will not identify him, but I converse regularly with a senior management person there. His phone rings off the hook every time they change something.

These observations, again, apply to Canada only.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: